Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mustering In, 1861 September 23-25, 2011 Harris Homestead near Monroe, Ga.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mustering In, 1861 September 23-25, 2011 Harris Homestead near Monroe, Ga.

Pete, no matter who it is you'll get a ride to and from the site.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

I am really looking forward to this one! Now that Manassas is done, everyone can get registered for this one! Pete, we'll get you a ride one way or the other. I will call you as well.

Jim Butler
      Jim Butler

Comment

Robby's research info that he scanned got zapped by lightening, so we are going to do it the old fashioned way this weekend. We'll get county and personel info up afterwards.

Thanks for the support guys. This one is going to be fun and it will go as per the history. Smashing! I mean Rebel Rousing!
        Last edited by Coatsy; 07-29-2011, 03:13 PM.
        Herb Coats
        Armory Guards &
        WIG

Comment

Will be sending in my registration via snail mail in a few minutes fellas...
          Aron Price
          AG

Comment

I am very much looking forward to this one. Down with the Lincolnites! :)
            [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Here is some background information regarding Walton County, Ga leading up to the Civil War. This information is not by any means a thorough dissertation of the county, but a primer for your "persona" for the individuals attending the event.

A Short History of Walton County, Georgia

Walton County, forty-five miles east of Atlanta in Georgia's Piedmont region, is the state's forty-third county. Comprising 329 square miles, it was created on December 15, 1818, from land originally held by both the Cherokee and Creek Indians and was named for George Walton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and briefly a Georgia governor. (There was a previous Walton County created by the state legislature in 1803, but its location became part of what is now North Carolina when a dispute over the state line was settled in 1811.) The county seat is Monroe.

Communities

Monroe, first called Walton Court House, received its new name (honoring the fifth U.S. president, James Monroe) upon its designation as the county seat. The town was incorporated in 1821. Other incorporated communities are Between, Good Hope, Jersey, Social Circle, Walnut Grove, and part of Loganville.

The town of Between was incorporated in 1908, though it had been settled during the 1850s. The name was chosen for its location halfway between Monroe and Loganville. Good Hope and Jersey were incorporated in 1905.

Good Hope bears the aspirations of its founders in its name. The first non-Indian residents arrived there during the 1830s, settling about a mile east of the town's current location.

Jersey was first called Centerville, for its equidistance from the towns of Monroe, Covington (in Newton County), and Social Circle. During the early 1880s, when the townspeople were arranging for a post office, the discovery that another Centerville already existed prompted them to change the town's name.

Loganville, incorporated as a town in 1887 and then as a city in 1914, was first called Buncombe. It was renamed in 1851 to honor an early settler, James Harvie Logan, who had arrived in 1842, bought sixty-two and a half acres, built a house, and set up shop as a shoemaker. Others soon settled nearby

Social Circle was founded in 1820 by several men who obtained the land by lottery. It was centered at the junction of two Indian trails known today as Cherokee Road and Hightower Trail (perhaps a corruption of Etowah). Incorporated in 1832 as a village and in 1869 as a town, Social Circle, situated at the highest point of the Georgia Railroad, was a transportation hub for the area before the Civil War (1861-65). Its lines were destroyed during the war by Union General William T. Sherman's troops on their March to the Sea, but the town recovered and prospered after the war was over.

Walnut Grove was incorporated in 1905 and has been the site of a U.S. post office since 1850.

Economy

The first settlers in Walton County were almost all farmers, along with an occasional doctor or lawyer. But merchants soon arrived to do business in the area as well. Cotton, various grains, potatoes, and some tobacco were the main cash crops.

Cotton mills were the first industry to be established in the county, beginning in the 1840s. These were soon followed by gristmills. Steam mills were established just before the Civil War, but factory work did not become a standard option for employment in the county until after the war

Source: The New Georgia Encyclopedia: http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/n....jsp?id=h-2408
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Robby Mitchell posted a great letter on my home board written by Henry McDaniel in regards to the Walton Infantry's flag to his futre wife Hester Felker.

"The following letter was written by Henry McDaniel to his sweetheart Hester Felker. Henry makes note of the company flag that she had presented to Henry just a few days prior. Henry's letters are printed in "With Unabated Trust", edited by Anita Sams. Henry would eventually serve as the Major of the 11th Regt. Ga. Vol. Infantry and would serve as governor of Georgia after the war."

'Atlanta, 29th June, 1861

Hester:

I hand you my ambrotype by the kindness of Mr. Nowell. It might have looked better had I wore a different dress, but I thought you would rather have it as it is. We had a pleasant ride to Atlanta and are located in a pleasant place.
                The people say we are the finest Company that has yet come to the city. Our flag is much admired and I have little doubt will be adopted as the Regimental colours. It would be a proud thought for me to see the flag that you presented to us thus honored. Calvin will tell you all about the boys, et cet. Make him tell you everything as I cannot write at any length.
                Hester, don’t forget you promise to forward your ambrotype to me. By the way, I wish now that I had insisted on taking that old one. It would be better than none. I have little patience with the sentimentality usually connected with an exchange of ambrotypes. But in a case like this, it is a matter of common sense. If I knew when I would see you again, I would put less stress upon my request.
                I wish I could see you at Social Circle as we pass. Perhaps it is as well that I should not. There would be another struggle in my heart between love and duty. Still, for one other clasp of you soft little hand, I would encounter all that. When shall I enjoy that privilege? Who knows?
                You will not expect that letters written in camp will be well written, so I will make no apology for the appearance of this or any future communication. I will write again when we arrive in Virginia.
                Be sure to write to me, and write long letters. Mine may be hasty and sometimes short from necessity. Yours can be just as you or I could wish them.
                I have written nearly a short letter and have said not half what I intended to say. I have not time to add half a dozen lines.
                Goodbye, Hester and may the angels watch over you!
                Henry'

One of our 'vignettes' at Mustering In, 1861 is recreating the flag presentation to the Walton Infantry. There is still plenty of room for folks to attend. Again here is the website for the event with the scenario information: http://armoryguardsevents.webs.com/
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

Some more historical information regarding the camp of instruction after the initial muster. This is a different company than the one we are portraying, but they were also in the 11th Georgia Inf.

"Warren J. Kittrell of Company B, 11th Regt. Ga. Vol. Infantry wrote about his time in the camp of instruction:

"There has perhaps been no time since our enlistment during which the members of this regiment manifested such a general spirit of dissatisfaction; such restlessness under restraints; such murmurings at authority, and such complaints against the intolerable hardships of the war, as during the brief, bright period of our sojourn at the fair grounds. We drew abundant supplies of commissary stores, had delicacies in great quantities, sold for moderate prices within our guard lines; were convenient to as good water as the State affords; were securely protected from disagreeable weather by comfortable tents, provided with a profusion of blankets, equipped with numerous changes of raiment, and favored with cool shades under which to recline during our lazy hours; not-withstanding all of which we yet spent much time in dolorous repinings over the hardships of a soldier's life. We had enlisted to fight Yankees, not to sweep yards, clean away trash, stand guard in the rain, and, in short, embark in a general system of doing drudgery; and then to be compelled to ask a white man, no whiter than ourselves, for a pass in order to go beyond the guard lines, was such a discount upon the gentlemanly estimates we had formed of our gentlemenly selves. All these sad, insupportable disasters caused us to bend our anxious thoughts and longing hearts towards the quiet, pleasant homes we had so incautiously forsaken. Such is, no doubt, the experience of most soldiers in the service."

(From "History of the 11th Regiment Georgia Volunteer Infantry" by Warren J. Kittrell.)"

Interesting notes regarding the men's attitude towards the mundane workings of a military camp.
                  Herb Coats
                  Armory Guards &
                  WIG

Comment

Announcement: Wendell Decker will be at "Mustering In, 1861." (weather permitting) If you are attending make sure to bring funds (modern day greenbacks!) to get your image struck.
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

Pre Event Message Number 1 has been sent. If you have registered, and do not receive this please let me know. Also registration is still open.
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Fellas,

I'm currently living in Australia, but leaving Tuesday for a visit home to the West Point Georgia area. I'd like to attend the "Mustering in 1861" event if possible. I'll probably only be able to go up Saurday morning and come back Sunday when the event finishes. I was just wondering if anyone from further south might be coming up to the event on Saturday that I might possibly catch a ride with. Otherwise I'll try to borrow a car.I might also need to borrow the odd piece of kit. Mostly I'll need to borrow a musket. Although I reckon that due to the nature of the event, showing up unarmed wouldn't be that bad. If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate it !
                        D.W.(Trace)Scalf
                        19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
                        [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
                        George Santayana

Comment

Trace, I sent a PM your way regarding the event. I'll check around and see if we've got folks coming from the West Point area too. Thank you for your interest in the event.
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

Registration is on its way.....
                            Robert W. Hughes
                            Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
                            Thrasher Mess
                            Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
                            ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
                            Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
                            And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Thanks Bobby, the second pre event super fun message will be sent in the next few days.
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

Message Number 2 has been sent. If you are a participant and do not receive the message, please contact me. Thank you.
                                Herb Coats
                                Armory Guards &
                                WIG

Comment

Working...
                                X