Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manassas NMP LH - 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry

Hi gents,

The Hard Head Mess have been working with Manassas National Military Park to host a living history as the gray clad 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry for the 150th Anniversary of Bull Run. After several conversations with Manassas NMP, we have set a date of September 16-18, 2011.

In a few days, I will start sending out invitations to the event along with the event packet going over the unique Wisconsin State Issue impression of the 2nd Wisconsin Volunteers of Sherman's Brigade at the battle of Bulls Run as the Old Second coined this battle and the river they crossed on the morning of July 21st, 1861.

We will have a cap of 40 participants, a $20.00 fee for rations and battlefield preservation, and like most of our battlefield living history events; we will be walking the battlefield, reading docents, hosting demonstrations for the public, and hoping to have Lance Herdegen in attendance along with several relatives of the Second Wisconsin during our weekend.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know. This will be an invitation only event with uniform & equipage standards which will be upheld. If you enjoyed our past LH opportunities at Stones River, Antietam, Gettysburg, and our effort at Perryville this past fall, we think you will enjoy this event.

If for some reason, you do not receive a packet and wish to seek an invitation, feel free to post here or e-mail me at fallriversoldier@hotmail.com to have a packet sent.

Thank you for your interest in this event.

Tom Klas
    Tom Klas
    Hard Head Mess
    Citizens Guard

Re: Manassas NMP LH - 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry

For anyone who attended Stone's River in 2005, Antietam in 2007 or Perryville in 2010, you know the kind of event the Hard Head Mess puts on, one rich with primary source unit/battle history shared on site and a very high standard of material and behavioral authenticity.

Steve Acker

Comment

Hi gents,

Communication sent out this evening regarding the Wisconsin State Issue haverack for the event. If you are interested in attending, feel free to post or send me an e-mail at the above address. We are looking to put a group order in for the state issue haversack by the beginning of spring.
      Tom Klas
      Hard Head Mess
      Citizens Guard

Comment

Excellent event this year at Perryville! I learned more about Wisconsin and units from Wisconsin than I could ever wish. Excellent cheese ration I might add.
        Jared Nichols

Liberty Rifles
        - The French Mess

Comment

Hi Jared,

Thank you for the comments and glad you enjoyed the Perryville LH from last year. We will have another unique offering in September at Bulls Run. Please let us know if you or any of your mess mates are interested in attending. It was great having you with us and learning something on the 21st Wisconsin.

Cordially,

Tom
          Tom Klas
          Hard Head Mess
          Citizens Guard

Comment

Hi gents,

Communication sent out on group order purchases of the Wisconsin State Issue Haversack and Canteen for the Bull Run impression. If you plan on attending, please be aware of these items for the impression.

Deadlines are March 20th for the state issue haversack and I need knowledge that your are interested in the state issue canteen by March 1st.

Thank you,

Tom
            Tom Klas
            Hard Head Mess
            Citizens Guard

Comment

Hi gents,

For those interested in our Bull Run LH on September 16-18th, our deadlines for Wisconsin State Issue Haversack & Canteen Group Order Purchases are coming up soon.

Tuesday March 1st - Interest in being a part of the Wisconsin State Issue Canteen Order. We need an approximate head count to get our order going.

Sunday March 20th - Deadline for Wisconsin State Issue Haversack Group Order.

Just as a primer, Al Larke of the Second Wisconsin Volunteers discussed his approach to crossing Bull Run on July 21st, 1861 in the following manner.

"I with many others rolled my pants above my knees, for our thick woolen pants soaked with water and loaded with dirt, might not have helped us much on the double quick."

Looking to see some Wisconsin State Issue Gray at Bull Run in September. If you have questions on the event, feel free to PM or post here.

Cordially,

Tom
              Tom Klas
              Hard Head Mess
              Citizens Guard

Comment

Tom,

Hope you got my check for the haversack, put me down for one of the canteens as well.
                This is a great event in the making!
                Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                James C. Schumann
                Mess #3
                Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Hi Jim,

I received your money order for the haversack and will put you down for the state issue canteen.

Thanks comrade,

Tom
                  Tom Klas
                  Hard Head Mess
                  Citizens Guard

Comment

Hi everyone,

Last update on the Wisconsin State Issue Canteen for the event. We are moving forward and I have allocated 20 canteens for our group order. If you are on the fence for the event and want a canteen, I need to know asap.

Our mess will be having a walk through at Manassas late in May to go over our route for the event. Needless to say we are very excited and humbled to put on this event. Should be one to remember during the 150th chain of NMP events.

Cordially,

Tom
                    Tom Klas
                    Hard Head Mess
                    Citizens Guard

Comment

Hi gents,

Just an update that registration will close for this NMP event in one month on July 15th. If you need a registration packet - post or PM me to have one sent to you.

Thanks for your interest. We should have fine event in the works for September 16-18th.

Cordially,

Tom Klas
                      Hard Head Mess
                      Tom Klas
                      Hard Head Mess
                      Citizens Guard

Comment

Looking forward to this one, Tom. Another good offering on the original ground, following the footsteps of the original fellows.
                        Andy Ackeret
                        A/C Staff
                        Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Hi gents,

Last call on registration for our NMP LH at Bulls Run which ends on July 15th. If you have any questions on the event or requirements - we have placed our event packet with registration forms on our homepage at http://hardheadmess.org/

This is an invitation event so please contact me if you are interested before registering please. We just want to make sure everyone is clear on our requirements for the event as this is a unique impression to pull off.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks comrades,

Tom Klas
                          Last edited by TKlas; 07-02-2011, 10:39 AM. Reason: Weblink
                          Tom Klas
                          Hard Head Mess
                          Citizens Guard

Comment

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let our comrades know we had a very sucessful event at Bulls Run this past weekend as the gray clad 2nd Wisconsin Vols. To all that participated - my thanks for the excellent impressions and interactions with the public. You all did very well and was the first time that the park had a 2nd Wisconsin impression featuing the 1861 impression. Your research, docent material, and ability to enjoy the march tracing the steps of the Badgers was top rail.

As we go down the 150's anniversary road, our mess and comrades such as Mess #3 will be teaming up to offer future such experinces in 2012. Stay tuned for some announcements in a month or two on Gainesville and Antietam NMP LH.

Thanks comrades,

Tom
                            Last edited by TKlas; 09-20-2011, 09:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
                            Tom Klas
                            Hard Head Mess
                            Citizens Guard

Comment

Congratulations on yet another quality program. Tom and the rest of the guys always have great primary source material to share, a nonsitting program and quality impressions.

Go Hard Heads.

Steve Acker
                              Former authentic, now an older out of shape guy in cool clothes

Comment

Working...
                              X