Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co. D Spring Drill: March 26-27, Billie Creek Village

Gents,

We are all set for our spring drill. It will be held March 26-27 at Billie Creek Village.

I will be meeting with the staff for the park later this month to do a walk-through. After that time, I will be able to post more details, such as arrival times, etc. Also, Eric Fair and I will be working on a syllabus for those who want to read-up (that's everybody, right?).

If you have large tentage (A-frame or wall tents) that you'd be willing to bring, please let Eric or me know. Although we are hoping for good weather, March could be snowy or rainy. So, we will need to have tents for the company.

Finally...
    *** Remember to get registerred!!! ***

Happy New Year!!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Co. D Spring Drill: March 26-27, Billie Creek Village

Doesn't Billie Creek have cabins?
    Regards,
    John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

Originally posted by cwpilgrim View Post
      Doesn't Billie Creek have cabins?
      Nope.

The park has been "winterized", so the buildings will not be available to us for use.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Is Gilhams to be followed?

I need to shake the rust off the MOA, so a 2 month practice is needed.
        I absorbed too much Casey this last year!
        Regards,
        John Raterink

Comment

I find it interesting that in this thread..... http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ch-Information..... you posted two different first hand accounts, both of which, refer to the tactics used, and neither is Gilham's. One reference to Scott's before Harper's Ferry and a second reference to Hardee's once the regiment was in Harper's Ferry.

Best Regards
          Cameron Stinnett

A E K D B

Comment

I have to echo young Mr Stinnett's question. There's often a Fed uses Casey's / CS-East uses Gilham's / CS-West uses Hardee's assumption when it seems the reality is oft much more complicated (especially early war) without even touching on the line infantry-light infantry distinctions many entertained at that point.
            John Duffer
            Independence Mess
            MOOCOWS
            WIG
            "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Point well taken.
              The links were a starting point for research with this company because not much, if any has been issued.
              I will leave well enough alone at this point, lest my bounds will be overstepped (if they aren't already) by ambition.
              'Nuff said.
              Regards,
              John Raterink

Comment

Good day gents. Since it is stated that the 2nd was drilled by Hardees after arriving in Virginia, we will use Hardees when we recreate the regiment this July. Company captains are encouraged to drill their men by Hardees. Just wanting to help. You'll be in good hands with Wickett.
                See you in Virginia if not sooner.
                Matt Woodburn
                Retired Big Bug
                WIG/GHTI
                Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Thanks for the endorsement, Matt.

Yes, study your prewar Hardee's and a focus on the manual of arms is a good idea. Learn each movement, not just the positions. I plan to focus on basics, both for school of the soldier and in company maneuvers.

Take Care, Gents!
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Planning for the spring drill is coming along nicely. Eric and I will be doing a walk-through at Billie Creek on the afternoon of February 5th. I will be sending out some more detailed information shortly to company members and recruits.

Please let Eric Fair and/or me know if you plan to attend the spring drill so we can start firming-up a head-count.

Thanks, gents!

Wick
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                    X