Hat Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hat Star

So, I have my black tri-corn...and I was wondering about putting a white star ont he front of the crown...as seen in some photos.

How would I attach a white wool or cotton drill star? Kind of hard to whip stitch on the front of the hat? I could go through and out I guess.
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Re: Hat Star

If you're using wool felt or something that will not unravel, I would suggest just tacking down the points of the star.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Go with Landrums route.
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

I got it on. It was pretty easy to just poke the needle in and out. I kinda stitched around it like a top stitch...looks good, used wool broadcloth.

I'll post a pic up when I can.
        Galen Wagner
        Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Here is another question...mine is on the front of the crown, Garrett wants me to put one on the left side of his on the folded up brim...would that be OK? Was there anything in the MS regs about where the star should be? I was just basing mine off the phot of the fella with his on the front.
          Galen Wagner
          Mobile, AL

Comment

The flat part should be toward the back of the tricorn I would imagine. Although I have seen pictures of guys with flat brims forward. If it's worn like a tricorn should, being on either one of the sides would be fine.
            Patrick Landrum
            Independent Rifles

Comment

Thanks for posting all the info guys! In my review of many original photos of these hats there definitely does not appear to be any set standard. I've seen them in the tricorn fashion, with only the left or right side up, with stars and without, with 6 pointed stars, 5 pointed stars, with ostrich plumes, with hat cords, the list goes on. My question is what style of hat are you guys using? I was thinking of using a Hardee hat and just turning up the right side with the 5 pointed white star on the outside of the turned up side. What do you guys think? I've seen a few Hardee style hats in original photos done like this is where I came up with the idea.
              [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
              Handsome Company Mess
              Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Seeing as how the Hardee hat was the issued hat of the federal army, I would use another style.

I'm not going to this adjunct, but I've researched Mississippi clothing for over a decade, and can honestly tell you every dome size, shape etc can be seen in pictures from Mississippi. It all varies, when regulations change so many times in so many months, it's a wonder they even slightly looked like an army.
                Patrick Landrum
                Independent Rifles

Comment

The event guidelines echo Landrums superior Mississippi knowledge: Tri-corn up any old hat you'd like.
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Good of the order, I went to a American Revolution Living History / Reenactment in Concord MA back in Sept. I found out that this was taking place and talked the Colonel into letting us have an Officer Professional Development Class....OK, I hear you, where am I going with this...The Colonials, much like the Southern Army had many variations of the uniform. The Hat, the Tricorn, were many different types and variations of hats. They were shaped, creased, etc differently. Many could be turned down on either of the three sides. Some turned one side down, and some had the back turned down.

I just thought this thread was interesting, caused it was something that grabbed me this past fall.
                    Last edited by Dale Beasley; 01-09-2011, 11:00 AM. Reason: I can't spell...

Comment

I used a Bender flat top crown for mine, and a flat top bowler for Garrett's. Tim Tri-corn's the hats for me, but I have aged them, and mine is different than Garrett's. My star is on front of the crown, a 5 point about 1.5 inches. I am gonna put a 5 point 2 inch on the left brim of his.

I'll post some pics when I get them both done.

Now to wear them every yard work session this summer to dirty/sweat/fade them.
                      Galen Wagner
                      Mobile, AL

Comment

I see in the Mississippi state regulations that the hats are to be looped on three sides but I'm having trouble determining if this practice or the immediately-mentioned horsehair plumes are intended for parade. At any rate, I might add hooks and thread loops to my own black hat, either to form a tri-corner or just to hold one side up. As for the star I have an original five-point silver sequin star on a black velvet rosette I intend on wearing. The hat is a malformed and beaten up Army hat converted into a civilian model.
                        Brian White
                        [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                        [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                        [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

I would like to see folks post pictures of the hats they are going to wear and the way they have fashioned the star on them.
                          David Parent

The Cracker Mess
                          MLK Mess
                          Black Hat Boys
                          WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Regarding the hats with plumes and the question of them just for parades. Take a look at the event website and the harpers Weekly image of the 2nd marching through winchester; they are all wearing plumes.

Also like that Idea of posting pics of the hats. Working with Pat Craddock to get some regimental numbers and company letters made for the officers to purchase. Also he is going to contract for some embroidered stars for the officers or well to-do soldiers for their lids... MTF from him, but this will be a quick turnaround on orders submitted.

Cheers,
                            skip
                            [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                            [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Skip, that Harper's Weekly image completely slipped my mind!

I plan on posting pictures of my entire kit once it's put together and can provide close-ups of the hat. Perhaps we can consolidate known photographs of early war Mississippians with stars on their hats into this thread? There's so many good pictures and links to pictures spread out on the event forum.
                              Brian White
                              [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                              [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                              [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
                              X