The Fort is empty once more.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fort is empty once more.

Went and volunteered at Fort Sumter today. It was weird being back at the place after last weekend. Without us living historians, it was just another cold place, nobody building, drilling, cooking, talking or sharing a fire. I walked among the visitors and seen as they read the plaques and monuments. Had they been there one week prior they would have had a thousand more things to see and experience. It's like an empty stage or an abandoned house, It made me realize what this hobby is really about. Those brief echoes of time when Major Anderson walked the fort again, cannons boomed across the harbor, the women waited for uncertain futures and the Soldiers reappeared and the 1st U.S. Artillery was on duty once more, if only for two days. I believe the old Veterans would be proud that they were not forgotten and some people still cared.

That is what the hobby is really about.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Re: The Fort is empty once more.

I know what you mean. We make the magic happen not just for us, but for all of them.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Too much fun. Good seeing everyone there to make it happen
      Joe Beedle

http://www.2ndminnesota.com

http://thesheepfarm.org

Comment

Very well put. I get that same feeling every time we strike the tents, and what was a busy camp is once again a field that hides the secrets of our dealings but for the paths beaten down by our marching.
        Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

Great post Greg. It actually hurt to leave Ft. Sumter on Sunday morning. What a great weekend. One of the most memorable expierences I have had in this hobby! The Fort had an amazing spirit about it. No matter the cold or wind, it was a rewarding weekend to be there on the 150th anniversary of the actions that set the wheels in motion for this tragic time in history for us.
          I am so looking forward to the Confederate Garrison at the beautiful earthen works fort in Savannah. Ft McCallister here we come! :)
          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
          X