Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about leather accoutrements

Dear friends,
    Are there any thoughts on what leather accoutrements were worn by the 2nd at the Battle of Manassas? I know that Magee and Kneass sent leather, as well as canteens and knapsacks to Baton Rouge arsenal and were procured for Mississippians. Magee and Kneass were around from January 1861 until June of said year, until Kneass was dropped and Horter and George added to the firm in June, and that title was maintained until October. Would it be safe to assume that the leathers (i.e. waist belts, cartridge boxes, cap pouches, cartridge box slings)worn by Mississipians at the battle were marked Magee and Kneass? I understand more equipment was called from the M.H.G. firm in June, but the 2nd had already reached Virginia on May 9th. Could M.H.G. gear have made it to the men before the battle? I have other questions regarding leathers, but just wanted to pick brains on this particular issue. Thanks.

Ryan D. W. Kiesel

Re: A question about leather accoutrements

Ryan,
    Great points to bring up, Nic Clark and a couple others have some great research on Mississippi state purchases. When it comes to the 2nd all we can go off is pictures and know they were issued their accouterments before they left for Va (according to diaries). Ill see what we can dig up more, but most we have is on the event (adjunct) website.

Skip
    [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
    [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Skip,
      Thanks for the response. About all I could gather regarding leathers from accounts and such is that they got them before departure, which would lead me to believe that accoutrements from THIS particular Memphis-based firm that were procured for and distributed to some, if not all, of the companies of the 2nd Miss. were still stamped as Magee and Kneass. Magee, Horter and George would have come along too late to have provided them with the leathers before Manassas. It would be cool to find out more info. on this, though. The M. H. G. leathers that Serio sells are based on originals in his collection. I wonder if he could stamp them Magee and Kneass?

Ryan D. W. Kiesel
      Last edited by Foot-slogger1862; 02-04-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Still looking for answers, but none have been easy to come by. If indeed these boys went north with M&K accouterments, Bob has the stamps for them. He was very helpful in pointing me in a positive direction for my on-going research, but I still have a few hundred more documents to sift through, maybe thousands. He pointed out that just prior to aggressions, Mississippi, Virginia and Georgia had contracts with Emerson Gaylord of Chicopee, Massachusetts, but it is not clear at this point if these items were received. I've been poring over abstracts of invoices for purchases by Madison McAfee but have not found anything by way of leathers. The Booth and Lambert records have not yielded any finds, either. One additional note I'd like to make regarding the Baton Rouge Arsenal based on some of my research: there was not a lot in the way of leathers there upon its capture. Much leather accouterments, knapsacks, etc. were being made at the Tunnard carriage factory and shops before leasing its facility to the C.S. Government. So we have this place making its own stuff, and also buying from M&K, MH&G, then later M&G. It seems I've hit a little bit of a roadblock.

Best regards,
        Ryan D. w. Kiesel

Comment

Working...
        X