Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rations

In the Samuel Hankins book he recollects:

"The first year of the war (1861) was a picnic compared to the three remaining years. We had good tents in which to quarter, plenty of clothing, with little marching and fighting to do; also we had plenty of rations and there was an excess of rice. I became so tired of rice that I have had no appetite for it since. "

Any chance we'll incorporate rice into the ration issue for the event?

The only meat he mentions in the entire account is beef. Seems to have been about a pound for three days in 1861, and rancid and in short supply after that.
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Re: Rations

Good reference! But, I'm curious what info do we have available regarding rations issued to or otherwise procured by the 2nd around the time of the battle?

The time directly before and during the battle is a much more narrow context than "1861". For example, the above quote mentions tents, which we know the 2nd did not have when they got off the train.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Gents,

There will be no rice in the ration. I have a direct quote from a letter written by a member of the 2nd Mississippi to a friend at home. The letter was written post battle of Manassas about the battle. The letter was written by A. O. South, he was a member of Company F. The letter was written on August 7th, 1861 at Camp Jones just outsides the camps at Manassas Junct.

"The next morning we were up by 2 Oclock to start on the cars but did not get off untill day when we left. there was thousands of soldiers waiting to get to Manassas, but we got off first being the oldest regiment on the ground. We reached Manassas about 11 Oclock Saturday the day before the fight we rested at the junction 1 or 2 hours then marched out some 3 miles to camp and rested there until morning geting a loaf of light Bakers bread and a few crackers and a piece of shoulder meat for two rations."

The Comm./QM have been looking into this since the beginning of the project. Not to worry, we've got you covered.

Cheers,
      Joe Caridi
      QM Sgt. 2nd Mississippi (recreated)
      Joseph Caridi
      Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

Hankins mention hard tack several times in his paper. The mention of crackers here is interesting as well.

Joe, this will be an immense task. I for one appreciate your willingness to undertake it on our behalf.
        Galen Wagner
        Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Working...
        X