Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent source for "tricorns" and just overall Mississippi boys

Dear friends,
    In regards to the "tricorn" hat, if you are looking for an excellent resource that abounds with images of Mississippi troops donning this particular style, take a look at "For Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand ! Somebody's Darling: Images of Mississippi Confederates" by H. Grady Howell Jr.. This is an extremely rare book that I was afforded the opportunity to peruse courtesy of Tim Sheads at S&S in Gettysburg this weekend. If you can buy or borrow this book you are lucky, and you will find, as I've said, vast amounts of images of this style hat. The book shows hats of all kinds: low crown, flat topped hats, slouches with massively wide brims, etc..

One time a fellow artist told me, "Ryan, the pleasure is in the process, not the result". Have fun researching, fellas.

Sincerest regards,
    Ryan D. W. Kiesel

P.S. There are, I think 290 images in the book. A VAST majority of the belts that were seen on the boys were black forked tongue belts, much like the one Magee and Kneass would have provided. 2nd most commonly utilized belt was the roller buckle. I even saw a few hidden buckle belts in there, along with one Federal buckle. I did not see any of the circa. 1850 Eagle buckle clutching arrows and a branch, though. I really wanted to buy that book off of him. And the stars...yep, they are everywhere on these guys. Either side of the breast, anywhere on the hat, your call. I just need to have one made now.

R.D.W.K.

Re: Excellent source for "tricorns" and just overall Mississippi boys

Any word on a possible bulk/bully buy of Ole Miss stars?

Noah Briggs
    Future 2nd Miss. Battalion Surgeon

Comment

Re: Excellent source for "tricorns" and just overall Mississippi boys

Noah,

Talk to Kiev Thomason with Co. C. I gave a bunch of tin to him and he's working on it.
      Matt Woodburn
      Retired Big Bug
      WIG/GHTI
      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Working...
      X