Guarding Savannah AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guarding Savannah AAR

I only had one day to visit, but the setup, organization and scenarios was top flight. This was a lot of work. This hobby has had two successful, consecutive living history programs in the first quarter of this year and this is really the knid of programs we should be doing for the sesquicentennial.

The only thing that is needed is more solid support from the dedcated campaigners on this forum. Many of the same people that were at TPEB were also at Guarding Savannah. Opportunities like this should not be wasted and hopefully we can have more than 110 people show up to a Living History/Campaigner event, but this community will have to get itself back on track and support efforts such as this.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

I greatly enjoyed my time at this event. It was a bit of a drive from Missouri but I had never been to McAllister and doing a garrison event is a nice change from what we usually do. I thought Pete Berezuk was an excellent orderly sergeant, but I never had any doubts that he wouldn't be in the first place, and Sgt. Stinette was first rate as he led several work details I was involved in. I learned stuff at this event and that is my barometer for a good event. I learned about the importance of this garrison and fort and what they went through during their stay at this place. I learned how powder was stored and rotated. I learned about shot furnaces and got to see the only exisiting original one in the country. I learned how to do some artillery drill which I have never been able to do. I learned that when individuals gather on parade and each brings his personal allotment of gnats that the whole is most irritating indeed as your hands and neck begin to look like a pin cushion. I was reminded that I have an ability to stand guard at support arms for an extended period of time and be comfortable doing it. I was also reminded that some of the best people I know in this life are part of this hobby.

Thanks to all who took the time to bring the fort to life. It was an enjoyable extended weekend for me and I would gladly do it again.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
        I greatly enjoyed my time at this event. It was a bit of a drive from Missouri but I had never been to McAllister and doing a garrison event is a nice change from what we usually do. I thought Pete Berezuk was an excellent orderly sergeant, but I never had any doubts that he wouldn't be in the first place, and Sgt. Stinette was first rate as he led several work details I was involved in. I learned stuff at this event and that is my barometer for a good event. I learned about the importance of this garrison and fort and what they went through during their stay at this place. I learned how powder was stored and rotated. I learned about shot furnaces and got to see the only exisiting original one in the country. I learned how to do some artillery drill which I have never been able to do. I learned that when individuals gather on parade and each brings his personal allotment of gnats that the whole is most irritating indeed as your hands and neck begin to look like a pin cushion. I was reminded that I have an ability to stand guard at support arms for an extended period of time and be comfortable doing it. I was also reminded that some of the best people I know in this life are part of this hobby.

Thanks to all who took the time to bring the fort to life. It was an enjoyable extended weekend for me and I would gladly do it again.
        It was great being in the same squad with you Michael. I had a great time.

Jim Butler
        Jim Butler

Comment

To all men of the Fort McAllister Garrison,
          Thanks for all your efforts this past weekend. You should what a group of men with a common purpose can accomplish. Your dedication to detail and duty are to be commended. It was truly an honor to command such fine men. Three cheers to you all.

This event was certainly packed with activity. We had guard duty, heavy and light artillery drill, fatique duties, patrols, possible attacks by union gun boats and more. All of this certainly kept everyone on their toes. Oh yeah and then there was that inspection by Capt. Grant (aka Robby Mitchell) of General Mercers Staff. If I never have to sign another form, it will be too soon. It seemed every time I turned around another officer or NCO was handing me some form that required my signature. The paper work alone was enough to keep twice the number of officers we had busy for days. Speaking of that I want to thank all the officers serving the Garrison at Fort McAllister. Any time something needed attention you all could be counted on to take care of it. Special recognition goes to Joe Blunt and Matt Woodburn. Joe stepped into the role of Adjutant without any prior warning and did a great job keeping his and my head above the flood of paper work. Matt was pooling double and triple duty as Quartermaster, Commissary, and Ordinance Officer. I think he spent as much time doing paper work as Joe did. Capt Grant was impressed with all our efforts. (Anyone that knows Robby knows that is no small feet)

My fond memories will include:
          1. Kiev playing with his new friend Batty found in the Magazine
          2. The men rushing to their battle stations as Union gun boats were spotted moving toward the fort. Firing the field gun at night to drive them off. (If only the Big Guns actually fired)
          3. Standing on the porch of the officer's quarters watching the men go about their duties with confidence and self assurance
          4. The Hot Shot furnance
          5. Spending a great long weekend with some of the best friends a person could have.

Thanks again to everyone. I had a great time.
          [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
          [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
          [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Gentlemen,

I had the pleasure of visiting the Fort this past Saturday and seeing you all in action. I thought the garrison looked superb and the folks I was with were all thoroughly impressed with your appearance and overall professionalism.

Congratulations!
            [I][B][SIZE="3"]Douglas Ullman, Jr.[/SIZE][/B][/I]
            Gravel Cruncher

[I][FONT="Times New Roman"]"We will Stane this Suthrn Soil with our blood. And leave maney of our boddyes there in memory of the day that we Stood like a Stone wall and fight to the last to Conquer this Rebelien or Die."
            - Cpl. Rey Rudolph, 102nd New York Volunteers, March 28, 1865[/FONT][/I]

Comment

Gentlemen,
              There is so much I want to add to this AAR but it would go on forever. Let me just say this, THANK YOU ALL for allowing me to come out with you. From all the help I received to the beautiful warm weather, everything was wonderful! The men of Ft. McAllister are truly GENTLE men.

PS Whenever Captain Dixon's Book Club reads Moby Dick again, I hope to be invited to the feast!
              Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
              John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Evening to all my brothers in the Blues.

What can I say to begin this post but, WOW!!!

First, I'd like to thank Jordan, Herb and all the AG for putting this event on. I had been awaiting this event for two years. Needless to say it lived up to every expectation I had hoped it would and then some.

This event for me began with putting faces to many names I'd seen but, never met. Let me say that it was an honor to serve with each and every one of you. You gentlemen are top notch at what you do and I am proud to call you all friends and will be forever willing to take the field with you any day.

The Commisary... they were simply top notch. Always on time with meals, its was always hot, always good. Can't ask for anything more then that. Some of the food I had never tried before and ended up liking every bit of it. Great job guys.

This event started off slow with small fatigue details which was something that even though little, it gave you time to learn and introduce yourself to each other and get to know the men within the company. By the end of the event, I was at the point where I was wondering... "thats it?.. Your breaking up the company?"

It was truly an honor to be promoted to 3rd Corporal by Capt. Martin, 1st Sgt. Berezuk and 2nd Sgt. Collett. It was truly an honor for me to get to illustrate to you all my love of seacoast artillery. It truly gives you a new found appreciation for what the men of that garrison dealt with participating in seacoast artillery drill. It looks easy till you begin the purging process of.. "HOLY CRAP THIS IS HEAVY!" Let me just say to all who participated in the school of Seacoast Artillery on Friday afternoon, for a group brought together on such short notice and run through such quick drill on the 32 Pdr. Seacoast Gun you performed very well. The gun was a beast but, under the circumstances you handled her very well. It was my privilege to train you all. I just wish we'd of had more time in on her for all of you.

The coolest part of this weekend was getting the chance to actually go into action with my crew on the 32 Pdr. (To my crew: you guys did a great job and we were ready too, if only we could have fired her.. :( ) I have never had the chance to participate in anything under those circumstances with a 32 Pdr. and having to deal with real time situations. That gave me a new found appreciation for NCO's.

However, the BEST part of this weekend was to getting to make new friends, reminisce and catch up with old ones AND watch "Hot Ball's" Turner get his groove on with the 42 Pdr. "Hot Shot" round. For those who stayed and were on hand for its extracture from the "hot shot" furnace you were witness to a truly rare moment. Possibly being the first nine individuals to see a "hot shot" round prepared and ready for action since the war. For those who didn't we ran a burn test on a piece of oak(same U.S. Navy frigates of the day were made of) and in under 3 seconds it was ablaze.

Now since some have posted their ferrotypes I will post mine...

This image is entitled "Captured Prizes of the United States Navy ~ March 1864"

Subject: "In this photo 3rd Cpl. Dunigan, Capt. Martin, and Mr. Brown pose with two shells(100 Pdr. & 200 Pdr. Parrot shells) found unexploded. Left over from the March 63' action against the monitors: U.S.S. Patapsco, U.S.S. Nahant, and U.S.S. Passaic. They were later sent into Savannah for the citizens to see, they were captured prizes of the United States blockading fleet on the Ogeechee."

Hope you all enjoy this photo. To all of my brothers... "Gentlemen... this is not a democracy!, this IS the Republican Blues!

Respectfully,
                Jim Dunigan
                "Savannah Republican Blues"
                [center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/30th_Inf_Sniper/1stGeo.jpg[/IMG]
                James F. Dunigan III
                1st Company, Co. "C" 1st Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment
                "Savannah Republican Blues"[/center]

Comment

Jimmy, thank you for your kind words in regards to the event. I know that you'd be one of the first to sign up, (Double P got his registration in first) and your great attitude and willingess to do what was asked was outstanding. You have never EVER been short of enthusiasm when at the fort, and it was infectious. Saturday when I was lagging from the many "operational issues" that were going on your drill on the seacoast gun Saturday was a great detail to observe as the "officer of the day."

Thanks again!
                  Herb Coats
                  Armory Guards &
                  WIG

Comment

Working...
                  X