X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Drill weekend is almost here!!

Gents,

This weekend's drill is upon us!

We will be at Billie Creek Village (map) (http://www.billiecreek.org/) in Rockville, Indiana.

Temps will not be as warm as last week, so bring an overcoat if you have one. Based on the number of folks who've indicated they're bringing larger tents, we should have plenty of room for everyone
    ...but don't leave that A-frame or wall tent at home!!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Spring Drill weekend is almost here!!

A weekend of drill with Wickett? Let me know if there are any casualties...
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

In the word of Andre the Giant:
      "There will be no survivors!"
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger

Comment

I will be with you in spirit, it is also the Stones River infantry drill weekend.
        Hayfoot, stawfoot, belly full of beans--march old soldier march.
        Craig L Barry
        Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
        Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
        Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

How did it go? Any Pictures taken? Would like to see the 2nd Miss impressions!
          [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
          [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

AAR: Company D Spring Drill
            - aka "Wickett's Folly"
            - aka "Joe Matthew's Ice Box"

With 24 "affirmatives" on the ole roster, I set out for Bille Creek Village after lunch, arriving mid-afternoon. I dug the firepit for the commissary, unloaded and stacked our firewood, and spent a couple hours alternating between reviewing the manuals and getting deadfall from the woods to use to keep guys warm that evening.

My trusty orderly, Mess'r Runyon, arrived about 6:30, along with Mess'r Cliff Catt. Shortly thereafter Steve Arnold (head of the commissary) and Sean Miller (hobbled by a broken ankle, he was to serve as a cook) arrived. Tents were pitched and we all got kitted out. Later on, we were joined by Jeremy Hicks and John Raterink.

Evidently, last minute cancellations were flying about fast and furious on Friday. Our 24 men had dwindled to about 8, with hopes of one more in the morning.

I had two goals for the weekend:
            1) Get the company (or some portion of it) drilled enough that we could maneuver effectively with the battalion. This primarily involved wheels, turns, and some NCO practice.
            2) Give the guys some "campfire time" to catch up with friends and get reacquainted with new faces.

We made the call to cancel the drill for the weekend and those of use in-camp at that time got to work on the second goal for the weekend. ;) Friday night was cold-cold-cold! We were up into the wee hours of Saturday morning having fun.

In the morning, we broke camp, packed up, and headed out. The weather was cold, but it was dry and partly sunny. We had good ground to drill, plenty of tentage, and a commissary to keep everyone fed. We were prepared to accommodate two dozen guys, even if the cold weather turned wet.

It was a lot of effort to pull off the weekend, so it was dissapointing that there weren't more guys there. However, those who showed up had fun and got a little something out of the event. We had some good, meaningful discussions around the fire, regarding the hobby in-general, as well as Company D's place in it.

I wish we could have done more, but am grateful to those who were there. They say poor rehearsal/great performance. In that spirit, perhaps the weak attendance at drill is a good omen for Manassas.

See you all in July!
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Colder than a Wick....... Witches' t!t in a Hailstorm. Yeah, that's it.
              Regards,
              John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

Oh ha from 24 to 8!!! that is 2/3 casualties. That is really hard. I can understand you John. Here in Germany it is somehow similar. Our Lt. always say: we count the men on site!
                Jan H.Berger
                Hornist

German Mess
                http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

22 degrees, one case of Guinness draught, good friends...certainly wasn't the worst weekend I ever spent, though we were 26 miles from my house :) Raise your glass to our balmy Indiana spring.
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Runyon View Post
                    22 degrees, one case of Guinness draught, good friends...certainly wasn't the worst weekend I ever spent, though we were 26 miles from my house :) Raise your glass to our balmy Indiana spring.
                    That's only three per man. The GHTI's getting slow these days. Too much tepee livin'. :-)
                    Bob Muehleisen
                    Furious Five
                    Cin, O.

Comment

On the contrary Bob, only three of us went in on that case...making that 8 pints per man. Additionally, Wickett is a light weight :)
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Runyon View Post
                        Additionally, Wickett is a light weight :)
                        I resemble that remark!
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                        X