Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marching light with the 2nd MS: Having knapsack withdrawals

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
    I am carrying a large fighting knife just because it is Manassass. But I would speculate that some of the original 2nd MS may have toss any extra weight like a large knife out before Manassas.

Dan Stewart
    "After the battle raged for several hours the zouaves saw an ‘immense body of Mississippians’ rush toward their position, and after approaching near enough, fired a terrible volley from their rifles into the ranks of the ‘conspicuously clad’ zouaves. After the first volley, the Mississippians discarded their rifles and charged with their bowie knives, eighteen to twenty inches long; heavy in proportion and sharp, or two edged at the point. The bowie knives were attached to the Confederate's wrist by a lasso, some eight to ten feet in length."
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Originally posted by JRicci View Post
      Is it completely wrong to carry the knapsack? I've read the WIG page, it says it's okay though? I have a Mex-War Pack and I still plan to carry it. However, if persuaded otherwise, I can carry a blanket roll. My first thought about the roll was having a wool blanket and tarred groundcloth wrapped around me in 95 degree hat. If anyone can help me out with this I'd be much obliged.

Joe Ricci
      16th La.
      Joey,

-Remember your chain of command. Do as 1SGT Pequet expalined at our drill/meeting.

Comment

Galen is correct, they were carried those large knives. I have never carried one of these things over the years, not even Wilson Creek, nor any other early war events over the years. I am carrying one just for this, but that is probably the only time as it is recorded. Oh, I did carry it at the mustering in of The Pontotoc Minutemen during drill. Less is better when it comes to movement.
        Dean Burchfield
        [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
        Cleburnes
        Hard Case Boys
        Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
        Napoléon Bonaparte
        A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

I would carry mine but I need a good period sheath for it.... perhaps I can make something that would work....
          Richard (Russ) Russell

Co. A Rock City Guards, 1st Tenn Vol. Inf. (125th's - 135th's)
          'The Old Guard' (150th's)
          Corinthian Lodge #414 F&AM Nashville, TN

Comment

Are we talking about knapsacks or knives now... someone please remind me. ;)
            Johnny Lloyd
            John "Johnny" Lloyd
            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
            SCAR
            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Started off as Knapsacks and turned into fighting knives. Guess it should go back to knapsacks. I ain't bringing one to this event. Light thin blanket that is ragged and will make a bedroll, lighter than a knapsack.
              Last edited by Pious Jeems; 07-11-2011, 10:17 PM. Reason: Left knapsack out of last sentence.
              Dean Burchfield
              [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
              Cleburnes
              Hard Case Boys
              Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
              Napoléon Bonaparte
              A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

If you need more than a groundcloth or an oilskin, then you have issues at this event. Manassas is bloody-well hot normally, so why bring a blanket? We don't need shelter-halves per event regs. Issue solved. ;)

Now, if you need a knapsack in order that you can bring cool stuff (letter-writing things, extra shirts, extra socks, etc.) then I would think twice about it and lighten the load as much as you can personally stand. Your body will thank you for it. Remember, you will have rations/water to carry along with the rounds/musket also. That gets suprisingly heavy while marching, even though it is light not doing so, as most of us have felt before.

When marching: "Every ounce counts."
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                X