"Hello, parson; what time do you expect to start a revival in camp?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hello, parson; what time do you expect to start a revival in camp?"

"When not at drill, the time was often spent in the vices of army life. A gambling epidemic broke out which spread with great rapidity, and but few escaped."

"All kinds of gambling were practiced. Morality for the time was ignored..."

"Soldiers purchased, at twenty-five cents each, souvenirs said to have been of the rope and the gallows used in the execution of John Brown."

Samuel W. Hankins, Simple Story of a Soldier, Life and Service in the 2d Mississippi Infantry (Nashville: Confederate Veteran, 1912.), 9.
    Joseph Caridi
    Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Re: "Hello, parson; what time do you expect to start a revival in camp?"

I'm a little confused... these are just quotes you found interesting out of the book? They are interesting quotes, I might like to read the book.
    Nathan Dodds

Comment

I assume quotes from the book given at the bottom.

I would say it is safe to say he is looking to inform how men should spend their free time and encourage some historical behaviors at the event in a couple weeks based on primary accounts.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Thanks for posting this Joe. I've got some cards and another "thing" that will be great for "gamble time." See you in two weekends! I promise to cook my food Friday so don't whip young Travis too bad.
        Herb Coats
        Armory Guards &
        WIG

Comment

Herb,

You are a scholar and gentlemen.
          Joseph Caridi
          Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

To up the ante (so to speak),

According to William C. Davis, the 11th Miss dealt with a severe bout of measles in May. And due to the grueling pace of the training, "On one day, the 2nd Mississippi could muster only thirty-four healthy men on the parade ground."
            Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, private, Waul's Texas Legion

Life is hard, even harder when you're stupid

"Don't give the pr&ck the satisfaction"

Comment

I have a few goodies to sell on the side . . .

Comment

I guess I have my work cut out for me .
                Rod Miller
                [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Rmhisteach View Post
                  I guess I have my work cut out for me .
                  It's apparently going to get easier, after they leave Harper's Ferry and the closer they get to Manassas. :) The whole thing is online at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mscivilw/simple.htm

Hank Trent
                  hanktrent@gmail.com
                  Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by Texyank View Post
                    To up the ante (so to speak),

According to William C. Davis, the 11th Miss dealt with a severe bout of measles in May. And due to the grueling pace of the training, "On one day, the 2nd Mississippi could muster only thirty-four healthy men on the parade ground."
                    Woohoo, no parade for us sick folks!!!!!!!
                    Galen Wagner
                    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Working...
                    X