Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texians: What was captured and reissued on the Frontier during the Spring of 1861?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texians: What was captured and reissued on the Frontier during the Spring of 1861?

Though not Fort McKavett, these documents show what was being issued to the other companies in the regiment during their stints as POW camps in the Fall/Winter of 1861.

Pg. 1 Pg. 2

Transcription of items is attached below.

Fort Chadbourne was situated north of Fort McKavett ~ 60 miles overland. While these documents aren't for Fort McKavett, they are for the 1st Texas Mtd. Rifles and there was shifting of equipment and clothing between the companies during the Summer and Fall of 1861.

The document attached below shows what articles of the old Regular's uniforms were being reissued to McCulloch's men on the frontier. I apologize for the poor quality, I had to photograph the document in two pieces as it was too large to go on a scanner. What I hope that you will be able to see is the issuance of 'Caps and covers'. Pre-war regulations only allow for one cap that had a cover issued with it: the m1851/54 shako.

Going by these original quartermaster returns, it shows that the Texians were being issued the antebellum shako with oiled silk raincover and pom poms, as well as the dress hats complete with feathers as replacement headgear. This headgear, along with the flannel shirts, big spurs, and dare devil attitude described in the other post probably made quite an impression on the Lipan Apache, Comanche, and Tonkawa Indians they were constantly encountering.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ohpkirk; 07-19-2011, 11:33 PM.
    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Re: Texians: What was captured and reissued on the Frontier during the Spring of 1861?

Nothing like pom poms and feathers to intimidate Lipans and Camanch!
    Dios, libertad y Tejas,
    Scott McMahon
    Pyramid #593
    Grand Lodge of Texas A.F.&A.M.

"It was not unusual, on the march from the Rio Grande, to behold the most decided evidences of terror and apprehension among the Mexican inhabitants, and more particularly whenever they caught sight of the Texas rangers..."

John S. Jenkins- History of the War Between the United States and Mexico

Comment

Re: Texians: What was captured and reissued on the Frontier during the Spring of 1861?

That would have been quite a sight! The 1st Texas has always been a unit that intrigued me. Before I hang up my spurs, which may be pretty soon, I'd love the opportunity to do something similar to Into the Piney Woods or BGR as the 1st Texas on the frontier. I sure hate I'm going to have to miss this one.
      Larry Morgan
      Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Working...
      X