X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clsinclair
    replied
    Re: Thoughts on Manassas

Well said Jim. A reenactment is what you make it. I knew exactly what to expect so I really don't have a reason to complain. I had fun. I was hot but I still managed to get in my 10 mile walk/run on Thursday and Friday. A friend once told me that when you go to a circus that you should expect to see the clowns. I also saw some good impressions. I lost about 40 percent of my brigade but the ones that stayed had a very good time on Sunday. I was out of the parking area and on my way by to Lancaster, SC before noon. We dropped our packs in the staging area Sunday. Being in the woods with the Southern Division was really good and swimming or cooling off in Little Bull Run helped many of my men. Several of our men stripped naked while some females looked on. The men were hot and their only concern was cooling down.

Leave a comment:

• Jim of The SRR
    replied

I was with the 69th NY infantry battalion. Thanks to Scott Buffington, Pete Berezuk and the others who worked tirelessly on organizing and implementation of our battalion. The impressions were top shelf and your knowledge was also great. Yes, it was dang hot (probably the hottest event in my 17 years of reenacting). I think many of us were in survival mode. Thank goodness for some switchel, pickles and lots of water and staying in shade much of the afternoon. We were able to make it thru the entire event, but I can't say it was easy.
    The battle scenarios were better on Sunday, but my expectations are nevr high at a mainstream event. So, the main thing i sthat we set reasonable expectations at mainstream events and go with the intent of fully supporting their schedule and goals. It would also be great if we would see more of these 'campaigners' at actual c/p/h events.

Just my 2 cents.
    Jim Butler
    Last edited by Jim of The SRR; 07-25-2011, 08:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Milliron
    replied

Insofar as "bugging out" is concerned, I can offer the following: I was in Co. G, 2nd Miss. To my knowledge nobody in our company bugged out or had any intention of bugging out, including myself. Although very tired and uncertain if we would even be able participate in Sunday's battle, we were all there as of 10:00 Saturday night. I myself was nearly asleep as I was becoming ill (I had a fever that night and still do). It was the general consensus that we would wait until morning and see how we were then. Several members of the staff, including Col. Owens, had already been down with the heat.

At 10:00 p.m. we were informed by our company commander that event officials had informed them that reenactor parking would be closed at 5:00 a.m. and that no vehicles would be allowed out until "the spectators had left", presumably at 3:00. This did not ring true to us as vehicles had been allowed in and out of the camp virtually the entire day Saturday, and it was obvious to every man jack in our company that by 6:00 or so a general exodus from the event was taking place. Consequently this information was regarded by me and others as nothing more than an attempt by the event organizers to prevent folks from leaving, which was unacceptable to me, my messmates and nearly everyone I talked to in our company.

I myself asked what our command thought of this development, who confirmed my understanding and was informed that the matter had been left up to the company commanders, who had nearly unanimously voted to leave. Some companies were down to just a few men.

If our information was incorrect, then that misunderstanding was created by the event organizers by first allowing cars into camp Saturday (contrary to the registration information), then deciding to enforce this regulation when it became apparent that the circus was leaving town. Why the change? It's not like the weather had gotten any cooler. To claim that folks should have thought differently is unrealistic at best.

I can't speak as to trash in our area. We left no trash were we were camped in the woods. If you're referring to the huge amount of plastic water bottles left scattered around, I doubt they came from our outfit. In any event, it was difficult to police up the area as it was 10:00 at night.

Overall, I thought it was otherwise an extremely well organized event, and my hat goes off to the event organizers for that effort. I understand the difficulties of managing traffic on Pageland Road, but this did not appear to be an issue until everybody started to leave, and the idea that the reason for closing the lot was to prevent traffic snarls on Sunday (or as it was explained to us, it was an "EMS" issue) frankly rang hollow to me then as now. Sorry, I just don't buy it. I paid to participate, not be treated as one of 8700 cash cows for Prince William County.

Leave a comment:

• Ross L. Lamoreaux
    replied

I'm going to refrain from any other comment other than this: if the person who "borrowed" my original 1816 bayonet would like to return it, I'd be happy to provide an address and return postage. I was quite discouraged to find it missing from my gear. And come Sunday morning, the camp, except for Company D's position, looked like the aftermath of a rock concert. Luckily there were indeed people who came by and picked some stuff up. Publicly and privately I thank Captain Wickett, Lieutenant Fair, and Orderly Sergeant Runyon for a fine job with Co'y D. It was an honor to serve with you.

Leave a comment:

• westcoastcampaigner
    replied

Gents,

There was no bugging out whatsoever. The decision to leave was very deliberate and methodical. We had officers call and took a vote. The majority voted to leave early and avoid what we were being told...rumors or not. Had the majority voted to stay we were prepared to do so. Bottom line in my humble opinion is that there was a clear lack of communication and very little attempt to squash the rumors that were going around by the event organizers. It is regretful and I apologize for the mess that was left behind. Never should have happened. Other than that, the 2nd Mississippi was the best looking and best drilled battalion to take the field the entire weekend. No one could match our presence. It was a pleasure working with everyone from the top on down and I look forward to possibly doing it again in the future.

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer
    Former Adjutant, 2nd Miss.

Leave a comment:

• NoahBriggs
    Guest replied

Thank you, Joe!

Mississippi? Bugging out? Heck, no! It's a crying shame that Virginia needed Sons of Mississippi to help her defend her state. but we did our duty anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Dale Beasley
    replied

There was no "Bugging-Out". The Leadership would not have allowed that.

Leave a comment:

• Moose
    replied

Noah -

I knew you had gone out with the heat, and I also know that you live in the NOVA area, so I took it all home for safe keeping. It is in my garage in Alexandria.

Cheers,
    Joe C.
    former QM Sgt, 2d Miss

Leave a comment:

• NoahBriggs
    Guest replied

When I came back on Sunday afternoon to fetch my stuff, I was shocked to see the 2nd's camps completely empty. It took some tracking down to find out everyone had bugged out. I will not complain about the decision. As your surgeon I conked out around nine on Friday night and spent a few hours in the "fridge tent" speed chugging Gatorade while the medics kept me hooked to their large tricorder.

I came back Sat. evening to see how things were going. Pretty well, and I saw the ad for the play. Wished I could have stayed for it, but I was done for the weekend. Unfortunately I did not realize we could sneak our cars in Sat. night, otherwise I would have collected my stuff. Hence my surprise on Sun. afternoon when I saw everything - including my surgeon's gear - was gone. Some phone calls revealed that my stuff was "secured" by Col. Owens or one of his staff. I've left messages on his email and on Facebook, but so far I have not heard back. If anyone has information on where my surgeon's equipment is, please email me at bluemasscat at yahoo dot com. I'd like to arrange to get it back at the earliest convenience and if necessary, compensate the holder for his trouble.

Thanking you all in advance, I remain,

Leave a comment:

• Dale Beasley
    replied

I woke up this morning and thought for a moment that I was still there. I am going to have Manassas induced PTSD...well maybe not that bad. For the rest of my life, I will refer to Iraq as "over there" and refer to Manassas as "there".

Leave a comment:

• BenjaminLDavis
    replied

A few thoughts ~
    Hot. Drinking enough became a religion. Not one man of Co K of the Second left until it became clear that if we stayed we would not be able to leave in a timely fashion Sunday.
    With travel time of 16 hours for myself, that was not an option. Our camp was clean, perhaps maybe a few religious tracts left for the edification of the local fauna.
    Memories: arguing with the Parson, the blazing red shirts of my Comrades in the brave 2nd, stripping down to drawers and brogans and walking down to Bull Run with Rob for
    a cool, placid soak, Pat C.'s face when I walked up in torn drawers (my only spares) and "loincloth." And, as always, Jason, Brad, Poague and all the other men the Iuka Rifles who
    covered each others' backs when things got intense. There are none better. And I liked the Bear in our little vignette!

Leave a comment:

• robert-m
    replied

I for one had a pretty good time in the field with my family of weird and odd ended peoples of this thing we all call a hobby. Met some new people and saw some friends that I haven't seen in a good while. To stand next to these boys in line and march into the field with them is an honor, and a comradeship that one people like us know. I am looking forward to doing more events with this sort of adjunct. Learned that the drivers in Atlanta aren't as bad as I thought. lol

Leave a comment:

• Soldat49thNY
    replied

Rob,
    Your humble opinion mirrors my own, as well as that of my pards. We can only hope for better as the 150th's unfold.

Dan Wilkosz
    49thNYVI Co. B

Leave a comment:

• SouthernRifle
    replied

I would have loved to have been with you guys up in the woods, but duty called for me to lead the 3d this weekend. You guys looked incredible. That was easily the best camp I have ever been through. What made it really impressive is that there were so many of you in there. I hope you all made it home safe. As for the event, I thought it was the most living historian unfriendly event I have ever attended. The only thing that I am surprised at, is that they did not start gouging us on the ice. IMHO, the battles sucked, the field was too small for the numbers they had, and the event staff had no clue as to what they were doing. One of the guys in my company was at the Centennial event in 1961, and he said the heat, confusion, and general crappiness of the event was the same back then. Anyone in either of my outfits who bashes someone for leaving an event like that early, would definately be looking for a new home for the next one. The event is not fun if you have to spend it dead.

Leave a comment:

• Jalaco
    replied

Despite the heat, I thought it was a swell event! I did participate in the battles, and Sunday was deffinatly the better of the two! Sunday's battle was fantastic; I throughly enjoyed the rout during the 2nd half of the battle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X