Thoughts on Manassas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Manassas

Gents, I'm just curious what everyone thought about this weekend. The heat got the best of my Company in the 4th Alabama and we all rolled out Saturday evening. As I'm sure is the case with lots of us; my health insurance won't cover a hospital bill for a non work related injury. While I didn't fall out Saturday I was pretty darn close. I downed no less than 8 canteens of water between 6 pm Friday and 2 pm Saturday and was still feeling the pain from that heat. Not to mention I had been hydrating for a week and a half prior. I saw tons of guys in bad shape. A buddy that works for the PWCFD told me that they had treated 107 reenactors for heat related illness as of 4pm Saturday. I heard a horse died on Friday too from the heat. I guess minus the heat it was fun to be in the ranks and to see all the 2D Miss and 4TH Ala boys formed up. We looked great! There were some awesome kits out there! The highlight of the weekend for me was seeing everyone formed up just prior to us moving out Saturday morning. That was an amazing sight. The most hard corps authentics I've ever saw formed up together. If anyone has any pictures from the weekend I'd love to get some. We need to do this at more events in the future boys! Hopefully it won't be 110 degrees! You know that was the hottest weekend on record in Virginia!
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
    Handsome Company Mess
    Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Re: Thoughts on Manassas

I'll leave the pontificating and aar's to those more apt to do so..the only thing I want to say is a big BIG huzzah to the company A boys of the 2nd Mississippi. The 'show' Saturday night allowed me and many of my pards to finally escape the 21st century corn dog carts and inflatable noodle arms and immerse into a semi 1861 camp event (save for the vehicle and aircraft interruptions of course)..each skit, musical interlude and banter/exchange with the audience was phenomenal and that hour or so alone made it worth the trek..that along with the knife throwing contest were 2 memories I will choose to save in the 'keep' file. Also in that file will go the new friendships and knowledge I obtained while there. And by no means an attempt to win a 'kiss arse' award I also say Thanks to the officers and NCO's who did all they could to make the most out of the environment (both physical and logistical) we were in.
    Last edited by YankeeTiger; 07-24-2011, 08:32 PM.
    Aron Price
    AG

Comment

I'm back home and glad I went though wished I hadn't gone a day early. Yes.... it was HOT... but as said by Aron the show Saturday night alone was worth the 650 mile drive. Thanks to all and I hope everyone makes it home safe and sound. This was an event for the record books... I hope to never be able to say that the 150th Manassas was the 2nd hottest event I've ever done.
      Richard (Russ) Russell

Co. A Rock City Guards, 1st Tenn Vol. Inf. (125th's - 135th's)
      'The Old Guard' (150th's)
      Corinthian Lodge #414 F&AM Nashville, TN

Comment

Nice to see allot of old friends. I'm almost afraid to open the bag I put my uniform in. Talk about ripe!
        Frank Perkin

Comment

As a "member" of Company F, I must say the play Saturday night was truly the highlight of the event. It was unexpected, and unexpectedly good. Thoughts of "I am a bear" and King Lincoln swirled through my heat damaged brain all the way home, and I'm still laughing about it. Also, the camp of the 2nd Mississippi (and some others near us) was picturesque - a welcome sight compared to the five gallon Igloo coolers, salad dressing bottles, cases of Gatorade, kerosene lanterns, modern gallon pickle jars, and propane tent heaters (Yes, really, I saw one!) proudly on display in other camps....
          David Stone

Comment

Whats up with the 2nd Mississippi bugging out Saturday night to a man and leaving behind tons of trash in the woods. Not cool guys!!!
            Brad Ireland
            Old Line Mess
            4th VA CO. A
            SWB

Comment

Only thing I left behind was a watermelon rind. It will be gone by next weekend. Some trash recepticals in the vicinity...and some water points for that matter...would have helped. Our nearest water was a good hike. By the time you got back to camp...it needed refilling.

Oh, in the dark around 10:30PM I did forget to take my hemp rope clothesline down. It should decay quickly though.

It was a great trip. Regretting not fighting Sunday, but Garrett made his scrimmage game this morning...
              Last edited by GWagner; 07-25-2011, 08:51 AM.
              Galen Wagner
              Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

I just want to say kudos to you guys in the 2nd. I was in line saturday morning and watched you guys march past. A+ work on the uniforms. Really got me in the spirit. Made me wish out unit had done more research into our uniforms instead of going with a somewhat generic 1861 look.

All in all i thought the event was great. Real glad i didnt bug out Saturday and stuck around to fight Sunday.
                Bryan Guerrisi
                42nd Mississippi Company F

Comment

Originally posted by cprljohnivey View Post
                  Whats up with the 2nd Mississippi bugging out Saturday night to a man and leaving behind tons of trash in the woods. Not cool guys!!!

Brad,

I'll make a slight correction to an otherwise well worded statement. One Man in a red shirt came up to Confederate HQ on Sunday morning, to get enough trash bags for the three remaining men to remedy that problem. It was a fine thing to see the personal initiative and responsibility exemplified by those three.

I saw them again after Sunday's battle, as we made an easy and timely exodus from the site. I am grateful to the fine young man who stayed, and got my bedroll and bags down to the loading point in one trip rather than two.
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                  Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I was not aware that three remained behind to police up the camp. Those three men should be commended but their job should not have been necessary to begin with.

Agreed that H20 should have been better located.
                    Brad Ireland
                    Old Line Mess
                    4th VA CO. A
                    SWB

Comment

This was in the Washington Post on Sunday morning

"Joseph Robertson, a battalion chief with the Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue, said 148 people were evaluated at the site of the reenactment in two air-conditioned medical tents and 11 people were taken to local hospitals".

Also I remember when I was hitching a ride to the parking lot, passing the Cav camp there was a horse down and they were pumping two huge IV bags into the poor animal.
                      Aka
                      Wm Green :D
                      Illegitimi non carborundum
                      (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
                      Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

An aerial view of the 2nd Miss in Battle, it is photo number 3.

Aka

Picket Post
                        Perryville

Comment

Huck, did we make it down tthat far to the tree line/ grandstands? I don't remember as it was all a blur..maybe that was the 69th NY..I know they were in that general area for much of the fight...don't know if there were that many though so it could've been the 2nd...thanks for the link
                          Aron Price
                          AG

Comment

I see a red line pretty much in the middle of that battlefield. Your looking at our fomationfrom behind, to the right there is a huge break in the line and the left pretty much stops at the set of gray pixels on the left (which was Co B).
                            Aka

Picket Post
                            Perryville

Comment

Well...I was in with Co. D of the 4th Ala. (Canebrake Rifle Guards), seeing the 2ns Miss. take the field was pretty awesome. The entire regiment looked sharp, then officer's of the 2nd Miss. did not disapoint with their uniforms, and the drill was far superior to anything else seen on the field that day...errr....weekend. Kudos gentlemen for some fine work...it was damn hot this weekend, and those that managed to survive the heat for even 1/2 a day deserve to be commended.

Paul B.
                              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                              (Loblolly Mess)
                              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Working...
                              X