Thoughts on Manassas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on Manassas

Caring for the men. Allow me to relate a personal, and tragic story. At one point in my previous life, I had the pleasure of serving as the SNCOIC of the Scout/Sniper School, 1st Marine Division. The last week of the 11 week course was 'Challenge' week. Five days of continuous missions, about 5 hours sleep aggregate, and two meals. After debrief on the final day, the men where ordered to stand down, and stay in the barracks for the next 12 hours (minimum) prior to to leaving for the weekend. We had one student (a Staff Sergeant) that disregarded this order, and chose to drive the 2.5 miles form Camp San Onofre to Camp Horno, where his Battalion (and his regular barracks room was). Just 2.5 miles, that's all. He never made it. It appears that he fell asleep, crashed, and was killed.

That was a horrid lesson for many of us at the school regarding how we take care of our men. Not only during an event, but immediately afterwards as well. Those whom have served at events with me (especially Piney Woods, BGR, Backwaters and In The Van) know that I am constantly walking the ranks inquiring as to the welfare of the men, looking men in the face, encouraging them to drink, remove their hats to let the heat out, etc. The same care and concern must be exercised on the final night of the event, with respect to who has the farthest to travel the next day, who stands picket duty that night, what have the accumulative effects of the marching, the heat, sleep and food deprivation had on the men who have the farthest to travel. These are all concerns that the leadership must consider. I applaud our Regimental Staff at Manassas for considering these issues, and for bringing their concerns to the Company Officers and allowing all of us to contribute to the decision making process.

On a different tone. This was the first big event my son Daniel had ever participated in (he had previously been to one other, much smaller, campaigner type event -Race to Knoxville- in far more accommodating weather). He survived, and is anxious for the next big show. These 150ths (as has been posted before), are about the only pace we'll ever get to maneuver as part of a full size Regiment, as part of a large Brigade, and be able to look across the field and see our opposition, in line, filling our entire field of vision. We will not experience this at our campaigner events.
    Last edited by BrianHicks; 07-27-2011, 01:36 PM.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by Rmhisteach View Post
      My clothes skipped ripe and went straright to spolied!
      Hahahahahahaha! That was the truth Parson!
      Sincerely,

John Walsh
      Furious Five Mess:baring_te

Comment

Mr. Hicks,

Well said...whether it's a campaigner event, or larger effort - tough choices get made. While not everyone may agree with those all the time, when the welfare of the men is considered paramount, I don't believe these decisions challengable.

The 2nd Miss. looked good, being deployed before the 4th Ala. Yall were sharp, your rate of fire was speedy, and your volleys were crisp.

Paul B.
        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
        (Loblolly Mess)
        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Originally posted by BrianHicks View Post
          On a different tone. This was the first big event my son Daniel had ever participated in (he had previously been to one other, much smaller, campaigner type event in far more accommodating weather). He survived, and is anxious for the next big show. These 150ths (as has been posted before), are about the only pace we'll ever get to maneuver as part of a full size Regiment, as part of a large brigade Brigade, and be able to look across the field and see our opposition, in line, filling our entire field of vision. We will not experience this at our campaigner events.
          And a fine job he did. That stack arms was good after only a few tries. I wish we had had the time, and energy to drill Friday evening. We would have done much better on the field if we had. Having said that, I was praying Friday evening that the 8PM formation didn't include drill! LOL!!
          Galen Wagner
          Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Originally posted by GWagner View Post
            I was praying Friday evening that the 8PM formation didn't include drill! LOL!!
            Galen- yeah we needed to drill! Though when we were able to do some of the manuevers with out drill, in my opinion that impressed me even more on the capabilites of the men and leaders in the regiment! thank you!
            [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
            [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

"These 150ths (as has been posted before), are about the only pace we'll ever get to maneuver as part of a full size Regiment, as part of a large brigade Brigade, and be able to look across the field and see our opposition, in line, filling our entire field of vision. We will not experience this at our campaigner events. " This comment made by brother Hicks can't be emphasized enough.
              What we do is non-competitive when it comes to health, safety, and individual agility. I never look upon another person inability to participate and say they're soft, just as I hope someone won't use that same judgement on me. In 20 years of this hobby I finally met my own personal match. The decisions made were the right ones.

I'm marching forward to the next and will endeavor to give that one my best.
              Dennis Neal
              "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
              David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
              Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
              [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
              J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

I meant to say in my last post that I was very proud of the officers...to a man. Great job Skip, Matt, and Pat. And to my fellow line officers I was equally proud of your performance. Three cheers and a Tiger to you all.
                Dennis Neal
                "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
                David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
                Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
                [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
                J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Despite the heat and carnival atmosphere (both of which I expected), I personally had a bully time. 'Twas fun to see some old acquaintances and meet some new pards. To the officers in Co.C, I say THANK YOU for looking out for all of us rank and file, from the ice to the decision to skate out early. I applauded the early exit as my flight back to CO would NOT have happened having to had stayed at the event site until mid-to-late afternoon on Sunday. Looking forward to Shiloh.
                  Mark Serour

Horsetooth Mess
                  First Sibley Mess
                  WIG

Comment

The three men who "stuck around" were F company men of the Liberty Rifles. Who were woken up to some pretty hard comments and having our fire put out when coffee was needed but pitched into cleaing up anyways. Who cares though, cause that was the best regiment I have ever been apart of.
                    Brett Asselin
                    Rebel Death Squad
                    Lee's Miserables
                    Liberty Rifles
                    SC Society

Comment

Originally posted by Marser View Post
                      Despite the heat and carnival atmosphere (both of which I expected), I personally had a bully time. 'Twas fun to see some old acquaintances and meet some new pards. To the officers in Co.C, I say THANK YOU for looking out for all of us rank and file, from the ice to the decision to skate out early. I applauded the early exit as my flight back to CO would NOT have happened having to had stayed at the event site until mid-to-late afternoon on Sunday. Looking forward to Shiloh.
                      Mark,

We where pleased to have you with us! April will be another mega fest, but our regt. will twice the size of what we enjoyed at Manassas, and the Temps will likely be half what we endured this past weekend.
                      Brian Hicks
                      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by Marser View Post
                        Mark, I agree. Gentlemen, as a new recruit I was honored to fight alongside you all. There were ups and downs, but that was to be expected. Doing things like this really puts things into perspective. I thank you all for the oppourtunity to do this and look forward to further adventures. Words can't describe everything I experienced with the good men of the 2nd Mississippi. Best wishes to you all, and I'll see you at the top! Huzzah!
                        Brandon R. Lewis
                        Co. C 2nd Mississippi, 150th Manasas
                        Co. G 89th New York, 150th Fredericksburg
                        Co. K 2nd U.S. Cavalry

Comment

Originally posted by Gawd Awful Lad View Post
                          The three men who "stuck around" were F company men of the Liberty Rifles. Who were woken up to some pretty hard comments and having our fire put out when coffee was needed but pitched into cleaing up anyways. Who cares though, cause that was the best regiment I have ever been apart of.
                          Yeah, aside from having our fire doused and our roasting ears thrown into garbage bags on Sunday morning...I had a great time. Seriously, 2 MISS was awesome. Can't wait for Balls Bluff.
                          Michael Clarke
                          Liberty Rifles
                          True Blues
                          Black Hats

Comment

I have been in this hobby since 1977, I have been lucky enough to have been in or served with some of the best units in the history of this hobby. I got into the Mudsills early and have watched the authentic movement grow and mature over time. I was at the first big Gettysburg in 83. I have been at many events from the mega to small NPS living historys. I have done some specility impressions and been in some 10 company regiments. This is the first time I have seen a full regiment speciality impression. This was carried out buy a group of people who were from all over the country and don't usually work together. The result was unbelieveable, the impression was almost flawless, the effort by such a diverse group was exceptional. The fact that the unit moved as well as it did on the field with no chance to drill before the battle says alot about the people who made up this unit. Hats off to everybody who helped organize this effort. Thing at the event went wrong. What did we expect. You take an open field in the middle of the open country and fill it with thousands of reenactors, their cars, cannons' animals and anything but the kitchen sink. Then you add thousands of spectators and crank up the heat to108 or 106 or whatever hot as hell is. I thought that the thing went off pretty well considering the situation. I have never seen an event sponsor put in that much infrastructure and have it that well staffed by professional people. It's a shame that there was some poor communication. I work at a small branch of a medium size company. With all our structure we seem to be able to generate lots of bad communication. Those who participated in the 2nd Mississippi should be proud of the result. I look forward to next years big effort. Hopefully experience will help us with next years event Hopefully the weather will be better. But one thing is almost certain.We will put together another fine regiment at Shiloh. William Horn

Comment

Found a few shots on flikr of the 2nd in formation..dang we looked good

Aron Price
                              AG

Comment

Great time in the 2nd Mississippi camp, hats off to the performers, "Winters over," "I'm a bear," and King Lincoln! The gent who did the servant in camp and on the field is to be commend. Can't wait till Shiloh in the Spring. After all these years when the hair stood on my neck at various times, you know there is still something special happening!
                                Dean Burchfield
                                [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
                                Cleburnes
                                Hard Case Boys
                                Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
                                Napoléon Bonaparte
                                A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

Working...
                                X