Re: Thoughts on Manassas

one from Picasa of the 2nd loading.
    Consult your drill manuals.
    Attached Files
    Peter Koch
    North State Rifles

Comment

You know every rose has its thorn...sorry had to type that, but the 2nd and the entire brigade looked great...there were some bumps on the road, of course there are will always will be, BUT the fact we had over 900 progressives in one brigade, organized and on the field, is a huge accomplishment.
      Could have things been better, of course!
      But we have to be careful that we do not lose the focus in what we accomplished.

Are there things to chat about off line, duh...its an event, always will be.

And folks need to realize it is a damned if you do, damned if you dont thing will you undertake the effort and put your, well, you know, on the line.

So kudos for Skip, Matt and Pat for putting this thing together, we willbe chatting soon,

Pards,
      S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Thanks for sharing those Pic's Aaron! I actually see my big grape in one! Lol
        [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
        Handsome Company Mess
        Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Well I can now say for the rest of my life I survived the 150th Battle of Manassas. I can honestly say I was close to reaching my breaking point several times, but with the constant support of officers and a will to see the thing through helped me make it to the end. The battle Saturday was rough for the GVB , not one man fired more than five rounds. The heat and not being allowed to fight Saturday created 40% casualties in the GVB. However my regiment held strong and became the home of several men left without companies Sunday morning. The battle Sunday was a huge improvement and made the trip worth it. The routing of the Union Army, Stuarts Clavary charge, kicking over a snake rail fence while executing a right wheel to hit the flank of the retreating Zouves and then ending with a canister hit brought one long weekend to an end. The heat, the wonderful uniforms, seeing old friends and making new ones will make the 150th Battle of Manassas a hard one to forget. Robert you arent kidding, Id take Atl drivers any day over the drivers I experienced trying to get outta Virginia.
          Kyle W. Sanders

Armory Guards
          Pick'in eny Mess

"America has no north, no south, no east, no west. The sun rises over the hills and sets over the mountains, the compass just points up and down, and we can laugh now at the absurd notion of there being a north and a south. We are one and undivided." -Sam Watkins-1st Tennessee

Comment

Seeing the pics makes me proud of being part of 2nd MS, Co. C.. Gentlemen, we looked good. Sorry I missed the Saturday PM play, but I did get a nice thank-you from the g-g-great-grandaughter of Henry Fitzhugh Lee, who was at the Pringle House after the battle. See you gents in the field soon.
            Robert Orrand
            N. B. Forrest Camp 215, SCV
            Civilian Adjunct - Mayor of Dover, Purdy, Raymond, Layette, and more to come... and oh yeah Gettysburg
            4thTN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Comment

Gang the photos are fabulous...especially the last one of the battalion loading - in fact all authentic units should use it as a "before and after" photo, if you get my drift ;) Sometimes the best seats in the house are held by the troops on the opposite side of the field. The 2nd MS made the experience of the Fire Zouaves, 1st Minn, etc that much better.

To say nothing of the potential recruiting value.

From talking to long time comrades who were there, this event sounds like another good example of why great leadership is so important at big events. You can't control the heat, stupid traffic and parking lot rules (what were the organizers thinking?), etc...but you can control what your command can do while taking care of the men.

From the photos...it just looks hot, with the hazy Virginia humiture thing we love so much...and why the hobby has migrated from primary Summer to primary Spring and Fall since the 125th.
              Last edited by DougCooper; 07-28-2011, 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling challenge
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Never mind...I was mistaken.
                Last edited by Jim of The SRR; 07-28-2011, 04:36 PM.
                Jim Butler

Comment

Don't know about what you were seeing Jim, but the 69th New York in all it's glory was worth seeing when we crested Henry House Hill after the lull. Great job. Hate I didn't get to see you.
                  Last edited by GWagner; 07-28-2011, 04:24 PM.
                  Galen Wagner
                  Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Read what I said Jim - my comments are totally based on friends telling me exactly how they felt, including seeing the 2nd MS at the event. These friends had a good event, if a bit hot. I have no reason to think they were fibbing. Likewise folks I talked to were totally impressed with the 69th, 1st Minn and Fire Zouaves, among others.
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

• Re: Thoughts on Manassas

To the gent that did the repro of the Henry Davenport jacket, that is just priceless! Wonderful work.
                      Doug, how anyone could interpret your comments as anything other than positive and complimentary simply escapes me. I enjoyed the photos, and being and old guy who knows my limits, I appreciate seeing them.
                      Bob Williams
                      26th North Carolina Troops
                      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

To the men of the 2d Miss....my hats off to you. You all looked outstanding. I might daresay you looked too good for some of the accounts of the poorly uniformed and equipped regiment. You were truly a sight to behold. If I had not had the chance to do your sister regiment, the 11th Miss with our colors and two full companies as the original, I would have joined in a heartbeat.

To comment on the event, there is always a delicate balance of logistically supporting an event so that it comes off decent enough without becoming a "circus". There are always compromises and until I've "walked a mile", I refrain from developing a strong opinion. There is a difference between logistically planning an event and providing an experience. I believe the event organizers supported a great event. Nobody was seriously injured. As a progressive, I dropped packs with others and walked off the battlefield under heavy marching order on Sunday and never once waited in line exiting the parking lot. As someone planning and supporting an experience...well, I don't have to tell you guys that you knocked one out of the park. The compromise...one sometimes does adversely impact the other although, they don't have to be mutually exclusive. Keep up the good work. Keep chipping away at the rock, teaching others to bring this experience to their own personal hobby. I watched the period entertainment from a distance and did not intrude understanding the hard work you put into it. It truly was your moment. Good on you.

There were two other high points for me at the event which made it a great event for me. The mother who told me she could not believe that her 10 year old boy listened to me for 25 minutes straight. "He's never done that." Perhaps in 6-8 years, he will be one of the next campaigners. Here's hoping. The second was an accident on Sunday half way through the battle. I had a hang fire that cooked off while loading. The years of safety training and good NCOs came into play with no serious injury to myself or others other than some powder burns and a good tattoo on a couple of fingers. At first, I prayed "please let me have both my eyes". When I was able to open them, I looked down at my charred right hand (to find out later it was mostly powder residue) with almost panic. The first thing I saw when I looked up was my first sergeant and close personal friend with a look of shear horror having just witnessed it. When I told him I had my eyes and my hand was fine, I watched the terror drain away to relief. I swear we had a "moment" that had to be akin to something similar to the fear and relief that occurred with the boys of '61 at so many close calls with friends that many had grown up with. A "circus"? Maybe, but there are always good moments to be found in any situation. I never want to repeat it under any circumstance, nor wish it on someone else, but it's a snapshot in time similar to many at IPW, Backwaters, and Bummers that I will never forget, even at 150th Manassas....or as I've grown to call it, Dante's Seventh Ring of Hell.

Cheers, Boys!

Clay Goser
                        11th Miss Inft'y Regt, Company G

Comment

For your perusal, the first fifteen minutes of our humble play.

And accompanying broadside (Photo by Pat Craddock).

Very sincerely, Your friend & Obdt Svt,
                          Attached Files
                          Jason C. Spellman
                          Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Thanks for posting! Hopefully we can find the rest somewhere...I know I'm not alone when I say that I want to hear "I'm a bear!" Just one more time....I also know I'm not alone when I say that you gents truly made a period moment for many of us and it was certainly one of if not THE highlight of the week/weekend for quite a few...so, again, Bravo!
                            Aron Price
                            AG

Comment

Spellman,

Any chance you posted that video on Youtube? Rumor has it that Coffee filmed the entire thing...

Aaron Cook
                              Aaron Cook

"Argggghhh, I am a bear, and I am hungry!!!"

Comment

Wow! I do wish I was there with all of you. I did all my military living history 25 years ago. I am proud of all of you in the 2nd Mississippi who made the effort to dress authentically and the other Comapnies and Regiments who believe in doing it the correct way. What I would like to see is someone do an article or pamphlet on the 150th Mannassas showing the care and devotion put forth by the living historians in portraying what the soldiers actually looked like! IT is very important that this type of activity is documented for yourselves and future Civil War newbies. God Bless you all'. Going to see my doctor Monday and see if I can get a youth pill to make me 23 again. I just turned 62. Maybe I can be a Tennessee farmer or preacher at Shiloh.

Tom Arliskas
                                CSuniforms
                                Tom Arliskas

Comment

Working...
                                X