Thoughts on Manassas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Thoughts on Manassas

Mr Arliskas - sent you a PM about Shiloh.
    Robert Orrand
    N. B. Forrest Camp 215, SCV
    Civilian Adjunct - Mayor of Dover, Purdy, Raymond, Layette, and more to come... and oh yeah Gettysburg
    4thTN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Comment

Gents -

This was my first AC effort at a big eastern event. I've been on the forum and doing small local events and trying my best to learn, and this was my first opportunity to get out there and do it right at a major event. Though it was obviously going to be mainly a major mainstream effort, I did get hooked up with the 6th NC just to the west of you boys with the 2nd Miss and 4th Alabama. A nice spot in the woods, with a creek on my flank. The creek was a godsend. The welcome I received from the NC boys and from some of the others I met in our little AC section was first rate, so thank you boys for that.

It was quite a sight to see you Mississippi boys forming up and moving out towards the Colosseum. I stood in line with the TarHeels waiting to move out and was frankly awestruck when you all passed, company by company. I am learning my kit as things go, but I have to say I had "authenticity envy" just watching. It was really impressive. My father came down from PA to see the sights and was stunned to see rank after rank of AC coming out of the woods and down the road at him while he was trying to find me in camp. I have told him about this type of reenacting, but he has never seen it. The folks in the stands were stunned as well. You boys left quite an impression on everyone there. The amount of preparation and care you put into your kit was obvious. It was really something to see.

The heat was amazing. No doubt. I drove from New Mexico for the event, and thought I had a bit of a jump on heat conditioning. I am an avid exerciser and runner, and before the event I was running 4 - 4 1/2 miles in 105 (dry) degrees, but truthfully there was just no way to be adequately prepared for that kind of heat. It was genuinely oppressive. I threw down my pack, bedroll and fly and made a fire ring for coffee and bacon. Then I spent the balance of the event sweating. I have never sweated that much in my life, and at last count I went through 21 canteens of water in 3 days. But for me, the event was just fantastic. I am used to 20-30 guys showing up with beer coolers and hot dogs at events. I have never been part of a minimalist AC camp in the woods with upwards of 300-400 others, all of whom are genuine authentic-minded fellows. This is what I will remember about that event. Marching and burning powder is always a hoot, but the bivouac-style camping and lack of farb, just some bacon, coffee, biscuit, a little stew in the mucket, omnipresent ticks, pickets out and good fellows in camp was why I went. I was not disappointed in the least. I would do it again tomorrow.

There has been a lot of hoo-ha about bugging out and who left when, and who left what. I think that is probably natural considering all the preparation and expectations that went into this first major sesqui- event. The conditions played havoc with everyone's enjoyment and added its own stress and disappointment to everyone. As for me, I left when I was ready. That happened to be Saturday night. One of our pards went down with the heat on Sunday, so another night in camp with 4 hours of (sweaty) sleep followed by another morning formation and battle and then 3 more hours in the heat before we'd be allowed to get to our ride and start the trek back west was just out of the question. I think we all would have preferred more moderate weather. It would have made this a truly amazing event. As it was, it was memorable and I would not have missed it for the world.

Or maybe my wife is right. Like childbirth, I just have already forgotten what it really felt like!

Anyway, looking forward to seeing some of you at Shiloh.

VR.
      Rich Libicer
      Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
      4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
      6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
      4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
      21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
      5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
      Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Rich,
        Those were very kind words. I've been out with the WIG for now 8 Events, each time I spend the next week wishing I was still there and looking forward to the next event that I can attend. I think so much to that is the "want-to" that many have under that command. Hope you can join us at Shiloh, the heat
        may not be there but the "want-to" will.

Comment

I was disappointed that the 2nd Miss. wasn't there on Sunday, especially given the effort we had made to create our impressions, but I well understood why: dangerous heat and confusion over parking. As it turned out -- and unfortunately there was no way to know in advance -- neither proved an issue on Sunday.

I stayed offsite Saturday night in a farby air-conditioned house, but returned to the event site about 8:45 Sunday morning. The weather was mercifully cooler, with overcast skies and even a slight morning breeze.

Marvin Greer and I attempted access to the site from the north end of Pageland Lane (near registration), fully expecting to find the road closed and to be told by police to go take the spectator shuttle. Pageland was indeed closed (at Artemus Road I think), but the police very pleasantly directed us on 10-minute detour around to the south end of Pageland Lane (near Lee Highway and the Manassas NBP). Once there, we accessed the south end of the reenactor parking (under the power lines), finding plenty of parking just across the road from the southern edge of the "battlefield." In five minutes I was on the field -- nobody checked my wrist band; police and security staff were very polite. Likewise, when the event was over, I just walked to the car and was out of the parking lot in five minutes -- presto.

I wish event organizers had made it clear that this lot was open and would be accessible from the south entrance, even when the other two entrances were closed due to the spectator shuttle service, which was running north from that point. I always like to know as much as possible about event logistics beforehand, because that information helps you make informed decisions about participating, thus reducing headaches and increasing fun. Alas - we seldom know anything until we actually get to the event.

My sincere thanks to the Armory Guard for letting me and my comrades fight with you on Saturday; likewise to the 11th Mississippi for Sunday -- I had a great time! I even got to see some of my old pards from the Palmetto Battalion who saved my ass from the 100+ degree heat 25 years ago at this event.

Dum Spiro Spero
          Gordon L. Jones

Comment

Manassas as an event was a been a bit of a bust. I will not go into the negatives. What saved the event for me was being a member of the 2nd Mississippi. In my long association in the hobby, this regiment was the finest unit that I have been associated with. The leadership was outstanding from Col. Craddock on down to the individual privates. My company, Co. G, was well lead by Captain Petersburg who showed coolness (despite the heat) and professionalism. The NOCs help to run the unit smoothly and with humor. The commissary department was excellent. (Thank you guys for the precooked salt pork.) The wagon driver added to our experience. And the play on Saturday night was icing on the cake.

I am certainly grateful to the event organizers for planning for the worse. The water, ice and the EMTs were a blessing. Had it not been for their perparation more people would have had heatstroke or worse.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Minor lost and found note - someone covered my surgical and medical supplies with what appeared to be a hand-made oilcloth. If you'd like it back (with my thanks) please contact me offlist at bluemasscat at yahoo dot com.

For those who rescued my medical stuff - still looking for my kit keys. There were two period keys on a small ring. Last I heard they were in my hat, but per our prior conversation it appears they might be with the QM stuff. You might check your pants pockets from the week of 7-25 - 7-30. I carefully looked through my stuff and did not find the keys.

Understandably I am reluctant to pop the lock on my original surgical kit, but if I have to, I will.

Comment

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Have any of you seen this one? the 2nd Mississippi in formation marching by.

Comment

Want to know what our regiment looked like from the sky? We're the mostly red clad regiment angled to the left of the tree line. Photo Credit to Ruben Castilla of the Prince William Police Department:
                  Attached Files
                  Matt Woodburn
                  Retired Big Bug
                  WIG/GHTI
                  Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                  "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

And zoomed in...
                    Attached Files
                    Matt Woodburn
                    Retired Big Bug
                    WIG/GHTI
                    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Just a thought to those fellas from the Liberty Rifles who put on the play. At the time you put it on I was played out and preparing to go to sleep up topside where it was cooler. I had a fever, but didn't know it yet, so I wasn't feeling very lively. I didn't see the play, but I heard every word of it, and I have to tell you in all of the soldier plays I've seen or heard (more than a few, remarkably), it was the best. I drifted off to the ending exclamation "Hurrah for the 2nd Mississip!" and a great roar from the crowd. I had to remind myself first that it was 2011, not 1861, then that I was at a big mainstream event, not an EBUFU event in some Tennessee hollow.

Thank you for the best moment I had at that event, and one I will not soon forget.
                      Bob Muehleisen
                      Furious Five
                      Cin, O.

Comment

Working...
                      X