My Thanks to the 2nd Mississippi Commissary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Thanks to the 2nd Mississippi Commissary

I know that a lot of times the commissary staff at events gets little love for their hard work. I know that I 100% appreciate the hard work of Bill Birney, Joe Caridi, and the others who busted their asses off to make sure we had period correct food for the event. The rations of boiled beef, soft bread, GROUND coffee, and sugar were plentiful and easy to prep with the hot weather. The fact that I did not have to spend a lot of time around a fire was duly noted with the food prep. I appreciate Pete McCarty and company for helping with the produce “distribution.” I enjoyed interacting/doing business with Pete for my green beans and corn. Those “cool” foodstuffs were appreciated Saturday around 6pm for my last meal of the day.

I hope the sweaty, red shirted (and gray shirted, and frocked out) masses appreciate the hard work that these men went to for us. Their spread at the end of our battalion camp was just exactly what I would picture a mobile commissary to look like. Scales, big honk’n knives, planks from buildings, doors as tables, barrels, bags of foodstuffs, etc. Great visual there!!! Thank you guys!

Also I 100% appreciate the watered down “gator drank” thank Caridi, Travis, and Billy went around to provide the men on Saturday during the battle scenario. They didn’t have to do that, but they did out of concern for the men in the battalion. That is a class act there folks.

Again, from my view as a file closer, the Commissary was top notch. Thanks guys. Except to Travis… He got me in trouble with the QM Capp’n for playing favorites …

Did I mention that the coffee was pre ground and, that I did not have to deal with crushing the beans for my AM coffee…. YEAH!
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Re: My Thanks to the 2nd Mississippi Commissary

Herb,

Gotta second the thanks. Those guys barely slept in the runup to the event getting chow prepared and ready for the field. Those guys are dedicated to quality rations and good potable water. I love the nuance it adds to events to see these kinds of activities. Great job Billy, Moose, and Travis. Thank you also Petey. I look forward to the next outing.
    Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, private, Waul's Texas Legion

Life is hard, even harder when you're stupid

"Don't give the pr&ck the satisfaction"

Comment

Bread was the best. Easy to store and filling. YUM!!
      Galen Wagner
      Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

The bread was the best. Had a sweet taste and very fresh! The boiled beef was top notch too. Sure beat the usual ration of fat with a sliver of pork commonly known as WIG bacon.
        David Parent

The Cracker Mess
        MLK Mess
        Black Hat Boys
        WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

I missed the WIG bacon. :)
          Frank Perkin

Comment

Waiting to be issued rations for our company Friday night was probably the best period moment I had all weekend. Standing in the dark, in the woods, by a wagon, watching the commissary sort out the paperwork by candlelight and weighing out the issues per company, and dealing with a lack of bags, pots, kettles, cups, etc. to recieve the issue. Thanks, guys.
            John Christiansen
            SGLHA
            PLHA

Comment

The bread was awesome...the watermelons were a much welcomed surprise after saturday's action..the pork tasted like tender roast beef for some reason..but I sure ain't complainin'..
              So add my thanks to Billy, Joe and the rest of the guys as well as Joany (not sure how to spell her name) and the rest of the women who supported the commisary and served in various civilian roles throughout the weekend as well...I also liked seeing that early war Sibley tent set up there by the wagon as well!
              Aron Price
              AG

Comment

Originally posted by unclefrank View Post
                I missed the WIG bacon. :)
                Yeah, you would Frank.
                Michael Comer
                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                X