So you want to host a re-enactment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you want to host a re-enactment?

I seem to remember there was an article on this website by that title. I can't find it, I may be staring right at it.

Can anyone direct me to this article?

Thanks,

Greg Starbuck
    The brave respect the brave. The brave
    Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
    That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
    And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Re: So you want to host a re-enactment?

Whatever the path, I suggest you buy a few good cigars and a bottle of liquor.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
      Whatever the path, I suggest you buy a few good cigars and a bottle of liquor.

You had to BUY a bottle?

It was Barker's generous offer of a little tot of white whiskey that got me into this........
      Last edited by Spinster; 06-04-2010, 09:22 PM.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Greg,

We have talked a few times on the phone and I am not sure if you remember me...

I have been searching for over the past few months the same article and am also interested if someone could provide a link to the same article?

Very respectfully,
        Matthew Semple

Comment

The article isn't for me. I'm not into that sort of self-abuse.

Greg Starbuck
          The brave respect the brave. The brave
          Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
          That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
          And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

Event hosting 101: What can go wrong will go wrong.
            Tom Yearby
            Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Old Reb View Post
              Event hosting 101: What can go wrong will go wrong.
              For every essential job, recruit two people to fill it. Expect to do this three times. When event time comes, snatch up somebody out of the blue to do that vital job.

'Hey Man I'm Coming' means they ain't. 'I'm IN' means they've found the event announcement.

Early, paid registrations tell you who your friends are.

There is no such thing as too much insurance.

Civilians are trouble. Always.

The Army is trouble. Always.

Start out as good friends with every person on your committee. Make it your primary goal to still be good friends when the event is over.

Have a clear goal. What is this event about? Coming back to that touchstone will give clarity to a lot of decisions.

Know your recruiting pool. Who you invite determines your outcome. "like minded" takes on new meaning.

It's been a good many years since my fun involved moving masses of Scouts through the woods, or masses of volunteers in relief efforts. Years later, many of the same principals still apply.
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Mr. Starbuck, I did an article with that title back in '92 of '93 in Camp Chase Gazette. It *MAY* have survived the purge of my Civil War reenacting memorabilia, and if so, I would be happy to provide you with a copy. If you would, please, kindly e-mail me at slhughes@fewpb.net as a reminder to my feeble brain.
                Hope all is well with you.

Susan L.. Hughes
                Frankfort, KY

Comment

Over the years I have had good luck but amen to the whole "reenactor math" thing.
                  as for Tom's statement: "There is no such thing as too much insurance." Good luck getting it!

Back in 2008 insurance for Marmaduke's Raid was $300 for a $1,000,000 policy with no vendors or public.
                  When I went back to the same insurance company In 2011 for Camp Jackson. I was initially told to plan on spending $600 but imagine my shock when two weeks before the event, they wanted $8500 with public and vendors. Fortunately a reenactment group called the MCWRA was willing the step in and help us out at the 11th hour.
                  Insurance companies, ask about bayonets and black powder and the words "black powder" seem to make them freak out. Then there is the, "What?! you're going to have guns at this event!?? Like what did they think; Civil War reenactments and living histories involve traveling to a historical site to sing "kumbya?"[sp.]

I was just given an estimate of $1500 for an event with no vendors or public (They don't want me to bother them until about 2 months before the event but I know better. I was all but called a liar when I told them about the $300 five years ago. I still have the check stub so I can prove I'm not delusional.
                  Just about every place with public land requires it. County and State Parks??? Well they want you to have the event there but, "Oh by the way, we require a $2 Million policy and you have to provide your own insurance." (good luck!)
                  Never mind the law suits, gun control, people not showing up, etc., etc. INSURANCE will be the undoing of this hobby!!!
                  Sorry if I vent but what I say is true.
                  Frank Aufmuth
                  Frank Aufmuth
                  When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Frank is 100% correct. The company that we used for Bummers almost tripled the insurance rate on us in 2011 for another event.
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

Have you checked in this section?

Thomas Paone
                      Last edited by GburgSldr; 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM. Reason: forgot to sign
                      Thomas Paone

Comment

You think you've herd every question someone could possibly ask about an event? Host an event or help with an event. You have no idea. Ron White said it best...
                        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                        Past President Potomac Legion
                        Long time member Columbia Rifles
                        Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                        X