Seven Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven Days

Has anyone heard anything about the Seven Days near Richmond next year? It's posted as an upcoming 2012 event on Virginia's 150th website however there is no information given on it and I haven't heard anything. Online searches turn up nothing. I know they had a big one for the 125th. I'd imagine someone's planning on having it. Wonder where and who will host it?
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
    Handsome Company Mess
    Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Re: Seven Days

Well, Bill Backus and I are putting together a 150th living history program for Gaines' Mill. The details are still forthcoming and we should have something more permanent following the summer, but we are working with Richmond National Battlefield Park.

I am of the opinion that this will probably be the only program focusing on the Seven Days Campaign during the anniversary because doing six programs consecutively (or even within the same week) would be highly inefficient.

The impression is looking to be either a unit in Hood's Texas Brigade or Hampton's Legion within the park boundaries so that a march and firing demonstrations may be carried out on the original location. We already have the commitment of the Southern Guard and the Palmetto Battalion. And I'm sure my unit, the Liberty Rifles, and others will follow. Again, the details are in the works so please bear with us!

Thanks,
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Outstanding news! Will be looking out for it.
      [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
      Handsome Company Mess
      Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Shockoe Hill Cats View Post
        Well, Bill Backus and I are putting together a 150th living history program for Gaines' Mill. The details are still forthcoming and we should have something more permanent following the summer, but we are working with Richmond National Battlefield Park.

I am of the opinion that this will probably be the only program focusing on the Seven Days Campaign during the anniversary because doing six programs consecutively (or even within the same week) would be highly inefficient.

The impression is looking to be either a unit in Hood's Texas Brigade or Hampton's Legion within the park boundaries so that a march and firing demonstrations may be carried out on the original location. We already have the commitment of the Southern Guard and the Palmetto Battalion. And I'm sure my unit, the Liberty Rifles, and others will follow. Again, the details are in the works so please bear with us!

Thanks,
        Palmetto Guards :)
        Bryant Roberts
        Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
        palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

1st Texas Inf Co. H was there at Gaines Mill. We aren't the largest unit out there, but our presence would be appropriate. I'll pass it along to the fellas.
          Randall Moore Patterson
          Born and raised in Groves, Texas
          Co. H, 1st Texas Infantry
          "The Texas Guards"
          "J.H. Moore" Recruited at Kickapoo Mar 20 1862. Promoted Cpl. Paroled Appomattox.

Comment

Definitely in for a TX unit portrayal! Can't wait to hear more details. Consider this a HMIC.
            Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, private, Waul's Texas Legion

Life is hard, even harder when you're stupid

"Don't give the pr&ck the satisfaction"

Comment

[QUOTE=Shockoe Hill Cats;203503]
              The impression is looking to be either a unit in Hood's Texas Brigade or Hampton's Legion within the park boundaries so that a march and firing demonstrations may be carried out on the original location.QUOTE]

Jason,
              This is great news! I'm assuming due to the size of the LH area that this will be limited to a certain number of participants, probably by invite. Alot of Texas reenacting units exist but very few do Hood's Brigade any justice in appearance, drill and attitude. So much material culture research is out there already done that this LH can be pretty awesome if the right people with the right mindset are involved. Gaines Mill was a pivotal moment for those Texans and set the course for their path to fame and glory. I very much look forward to seeing how this develops!

Cheers,
              Cheers,
              [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Research for the Hampton Legion is already underway. frocks, SC buckles, SC buttons, yancey deen haversacks. more to come.

John Pagano is working on the NPS proposal.. anyone up for a gaines mill to malvern hill march??
                Bryant Roberts
                Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Greetings,

Just wanted to shed some light and give everyone some updates regarding the programs for the Seven Days 1862 at Richmond National Battlefield Park.

1. The schedule of 150th activities from May 9-July 11, 2012 is almost complete. And the calendar on the park website should reflect that soon (www.nps.gov/rich).

The park recently met with Chesterfield, Hanover, and Henrico County, as well as the Richmond Metro Convention Bureau to coordinate with them. See a few videos: http://youtu.be/BU3sdTM74dI

2. Gaines' Mill Living History is still a go. Scheduled for June 23-24th. Basically, there has been a ridiculous amount of work going on here, and so getting updates directly from admin has been slow (to say the least). But I will try and update everyone ASAP. I'll be creating a thread in the Events Folder soon.

3. Impression will be 4th Texas Infantry, summer 1862. I looked into Hampton's Legion and spoke with members of the Palmetto Guards about it. Unfortunately, it was just not feasible and the Texas Brigade is far more well-researched. Some may remember the 135th sponsored by the Southern Guard, and I'll be drawing upon their past work with some additional history.

4. I'm currently writing the impression guidelines and forming a tentative schedule. This will be posted in the event thread and also hyperlinked to the Liberty Rifles website later. You can expect a short historical march, firing demonstrations, public interpretation, and wearing all your cool Texian duds. I'm really hoping to get as close as possible to the actual routes and maneuvers as we approach Turkey Hill/ the breakthrough area.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Hope to have everything nailed down soon!

J.
                  Jason C. Spellman
                  Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Did you ever find the research that the Southern Guard produced? Think some of this will also work for the research on the same unit impression for MmM(sharpsburg). Looking forward to it in June!
                    [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                    [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Greetings,

Guidelines for the living history have now been posted under "Event Information" under the LR Schedule. Link: http://www.libertyrifles.org/schedul...ainesmill.html

Information on the Weekend Schedule of Events is on the Richmond NBP website: http://www.nps.gov/rich/planyourvisi...h2012guide.htm

I'm trying my absolute best to have the unit history for the 4th Tx. done by this Saturday. That will also be posted soon.

Again, feel free to contact me at your convenience.

J.
                      Jason C. Spellman
                      Skillygalee Mess

Comment

Working...
                      X