Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15th Iowa Order book info from National Archives - what did they have...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15th Iowa Order book info from National Archives - what did they have...

OK, so they defintely were Model 1861 Springfields and they had slings and tompions. No cartridge box belts are mentioned. Wore them on the waist belt??? Big thanks to Joshua Mason for visiting the National Archives and finding this letter:

No. 16

St. Louis Arsenal, MO
    March 25th, 1862

Col. Hugh T. Reid
    Comdg. 15th Iowa Vols
    Benton Barracks

Sir:
    Herewith enclosed is an invoice of Ordinance and Ordinance Stores which I have this day turned over to the Quarter Master’s department, for transportation to your address. Please return duplicate receipt.
    Your obedient servant,
    F. G. Callender
    Col. & _____________

Invoice of Ord. and Ord. Stores, turned over by Col Callender Commanding St. Louis Arsenal to Capt. Asst. Quarter Master U.S.A. for transportation to Col. Hugh F. Reid 15th Iowa Vol. in obedience to Order for Supplies.

Benton Barracks

960 Rifled Muskets Cal. 58 Model 1861
    960 Extra Cones
    960 Screw Drivers
    960 Wipers
    960 Tompions
    192 Wire & Tumbler Punches
    96 Ball Screws
    96 Spring Vices
    960 Cartridge Boxes & Plates
    960 Cap Boxes and Picks
    960 Bayonet Scabbards
    960 Waist Belts and Plates
    960 Gun Slings
    50,000 Elong. Ball Cartridges Cal. 58
    117 Packing Boxes

Col. Hugh F. Reid
    15th Iowa Vol. Inft.
    Benton Barracks

I certify that the above is a correct invoice of Ord. and Ord. Stores turned over by me this 25th day of March 1862 to the Quarter Masters Department for transportation to Benton Barracks.

F. G. Callender
    Col. & _____________?
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Re: 15th Iowa Order book info from National Archives - what did they have...

Well I have been saying 61's all along the way. Lol. I would guess that they used cartrdfe box slings too. I have never come across any account or photo of an early Iowa soldier wearing their cartridge box on their belt. Good information!
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

The list makes clear what every man was carrying for tools and extra equipment:
      Extra Cone
      Screw Driver
      Wiper
      Tompion
      AND A SLING!

Also, were there 960 men in the company at this time? I am curious if extra items were ordered. If we assume 960 men in the company...
      A wire and tumbler punch for every 5 men... per NCO?
      A spring vice and ball screw for every 10 men... per squad? ...per sergeant?
      Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 07-07-2011, 08:10 AM. Reason: my poor math skills
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Just wondering: 50+ rounds per man average -- is this a normal "starting point" for arming the volunteers, to be restocked as their term of enlistment continued?
        So we should plan on an issue of four packs of ammunition, including percussion caps, on or shortly after de-paddleboating?
        Paul Hadley
        Paul Hadley

Comment

Paul,

I have a plan for how rounds will be handled. It will be forth coming. For now, there will be NO rounds with us in Savannah and on the boat. Think along the lines, "What would happen to me if I tried to take explosive rounds onto a commercial flight?" Rounds will be issued upon, and not until, we arrive at our Pittsburg Landing. That's what the original 15th did, and so shall we.
          Matt Woodburn
          Retired Big Bug
          WIG/GHTI

Comment

Btw I am fine wearing my box on my belt. Either way I just want to be there.
            Nathan Hellwig
            "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Either is fine with me without evidence one way or the other. I suspect you're right with box belts/slings being used with breastplates.
              Matt Woodburn
              Retired Big Bug
              WIG/GHTI

Comment

I lean more towards no sling especially since the breastplate would have been listed. Who knows.

A plea to the organizers: just choose with sling or without sling for the impression guidelines... for the sake of the uniformity we are striving to achieve.
                Paul Boccadoro
                Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Is it possible that whoever wrote this entry in the order book assumed that the sling and plate was included? I mean, for the previous 100+ years carrying a cartridge box without a sling was the overwhelming exception to the point that they may not have thought to list it. Just a possibility, and just sayin'.

Just throwing it out there. As Paul said though: let's decide one way or the other.
                  Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
                  Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
                  Former Mudsill
                  Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

OK, decided...go with slings with breast plates. Next.
                    Matt Woodburn
                    Retired Big Bug
                    WIG/GHTI

Comment

I was say they had the sling with the box. I know the color guard will be wearing their boxes with a sling. And I would agree that we just need to be told what to have. These open discussions are getting old. I am one to always open my big mouth so I should know.
                      Last edited by Hairy Nation Boys; 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM. Reason: Being blunt
                      Nathan Hellwig

Comment

I for one would prefer to have my cartridge box sling in the field. Just makes it a lot easier to operate as a soldier.

Mike Phineas
                        Arlington, TX
                        Mike Phineas
                        Arlington, TX
                        24th Missouri Infantry
                        Independent Volunteer Battalion
                        www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Boxes with slings and all plates polished. Final answer.
                          Matt Woodburn
                          Retired Big Bug
                          WIG/GHTI

Comment

In the process of transcribing the letters of the commander of Company C, I came across the following quote in a letter dated March 28, 1862:

I have nothing new to write you we are all well we have just received our armes tents & wagons, but where or when we will go is not settled, but I think that there is no danger of our having to go to New Mexico as I at first suposed. We have Springfield muskets & they don’t send such armes out there
                            My question is this: why would Seevers say with confidence that the army would not send a regiment armed with Springfields out to New Mexico? Would this represent a situation emblematic of antiquated weapons going to peripheral theaters and modern weapons to the active theaters of conflict?
                            Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                            My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

The Springfield 1861 was well known as the weapon to have even at the start of the war. Many of the early Iowa regiments were issued old conversions or foreign imports like the Austrian Lorenz musket at the start of the war so getting a Springfield was a sign to the them that they were going to see action not marching around.

Eugene Ware in his book "The Lyon Campaign" was in the 1st Iowa Infantry and fought at Wilson's Creek in August 1861. By a mishap during a waterbreak on the march he ends up with an 1861 Springfield when a regular soldier, who was the rightful owner, grabbed Ware's his old 1829 conversion musket by mistake. Pvt. Ware was very excited about this misfortune and went on and on about it and how jealous his messmates were later.
                              Louis Zenti

Pvt. Albert R. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-W.I.A. February 15, 1862)
                              Pvt. William H. Cumpston (Company B, 12th Illinois Vol. Inf.-K.I.A. February 15, 1862 Ft. Donelson)
                              Pvt. Simon Sams (Co. C, 18th Iowa Inf.-K.I.A. January 8, 1863 Springfield, MO)
                              Pvt. Elisha Cox (Co. C, 26th North Carolina Inf.-W.I.A. July 3, 1863 Gettysburg)

"...in the hottest of the fight, some of the rebs yelled out...them must be Iowa boys". Charles O. Musser 29th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Working...
                              X