Occupation of the Mudd Farm LH April 13-15th, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation of the Mudd Farm LH April 13-15th, 2012

The Washington Guards are hosting a living history at the Dr. Samuel A. Mudd farm the weekend of April 13-15th, 2012. The object is to re-create the occupation of the farm by Union troops during the man-hunt for John Wilkes Booth following the assassination of President Lincoln. The event will focus on maintaining a guard over the property, as well as patrolling the fields and swamps surrounding the farm.

Impression: 9th Veteran Reserve Corps
    Uniform Guidelines: Standard mid to late war Army of the Potomac

Registration is $15 dollars and will cover rations for the weekend, as well as a tour of the house museum on Sunday morning.

Please consider attending this unique opportunity to re-create the man-hunt for John Wilkes Booth!

For questions or forms for registration contact either:
    Event Coordinator: Bob Bowser bowser625@comcast.net
    -Or-
    Company Commander: Pete Berezuk pete.berezuk@gmail.com
    Bob Bowser

Re: Occupation of the Mudd Farm LH April 13-15th, 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Bob and I did a walk through of the site with the Director this past weekend and nailed down the historical activities we're going to recreate. Now we need to interested living historians to sign on for the adventure. Attached to this message are the uniform guidelines and the registration form for the event.

2012_WG_Mudd_Reg.doc
    The_Occupation_of_the_Mudd_Farm_Living_History_Uniform_Guidelines.doc

The intention of the event is to portray the troops that guarded the Mudd House and participated in the hunt for Booth during April of 1865. Registration will be on Friday afternoon, but there will be no military duties that evening. Saturday Morning will begin with Reveille and Roll Call and proceed through a typical morning routine of a unit on picket duty. Specifically at the Mudd House we will post and relieve guards throughout the day on Saturday. The guards will recieve some specific training concerning guard mount and period procedures prior to the site opening. The participants will be issued period rations and will engage in some historic vignettes concerning actions at the Mudd House. Sunday morning will conclude with morning parade and all participants will be offerred a tour of the interior of the Mudd House and the artifacts preserved there.

The site has several modern intrusions and is approximately a third of a mile off a country road. Also, the site will be open for visitors and although our focus is on our activities there will be interactions with the public. I ask those who are interested in participating to look past the flaws and see the great opportunity to learn about an interesting chapter in the American Civil War.

If you have any questions concerning the conduct of the event please feel free to contact me directly
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

I registered, did you?

(yea, it's gonna' snow blue)
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
      Past President Potomac Legion
      Long time member Columbia Rifles
      Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyDave View Post
        I registered, did you?

(yea, it's gonna' snow blue)
        Grumpy, I have... just today though. Now to search for that rain cape pattern...

Ladies and Gentlemen, we're making great plans for the event and the wonderfully preserved site it is on. We are looking for soldiers and select civilians to participate in this event. Please feel free to contact me ( pete.berezuk@gmail.com ) or Bob Bowser ( bowser625@comcast.net ) if you are interested.
        Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

All,

I've got to piggyback on Pete's post. Things are shaping up for a great event. Rations are coming along nicely and registrations are coming in. Don't miss out!
          Bob Bowser

Comment

You might want to think about sending in your registation if you're considering attending. Just sayin'

Comment

Just about a month away...Grumpy is wise! Let me know if you need registration forms.
              Bob Bowser

Comment

time to get registered.

Comment

Opportunity to learn something? Maybe? Opportunity to do something you've never done before, possibly?

Comment

Pards,

If you are still on the fence about this one, please consider the attached article. It was announced yesterday, that the Dr. Samuel A. Mudd House and Museum was selected as the "Finest Historical Attraction in Maryland." Please consider attending the event and helping the Mudd House continue to educate the public about this important piece of our history!

Thanks,
                    Bob Bowser
                    Bob Bowser

Comment

We have several "hey! I'm coming!" folks we haven't rec'd registrations back from. Post them soon, please!

Comment

Well planned well run event. Outstanding location with very, very few modern intrusions. Great civilian interaction, with some of the best civilian re'nacters in the business. I can now completely understand why Booth and Harrod were able to hide in that damned swamp, after having the "pleasure" of searching there for them myself. I was by the door that Harrod pounded on at 4:30 to wake Dr. Mudd and was standing in the yard at 7:30am when our President passed into history. I saw the road Dr Mudd directed Booth and Harrod to take to avoid Federal troops and telegraph.

Kudos to Bob Bowser who planed and executed the idea and planning, and all the participants of this little event. Thanks to Pete Berezuk for being the cranky Sergeant of the Guard.

There were two very well done VRC uniforms present.

I have a good idea how "innocent" Dr. Mudd actually was now.

Comment

Grumpy,

Thanks for coming out and leading the guard! Thanks to everyone who decided to participate! Your impressions were great! Now...150th...hmmmm...
                          Bob Bowser

Comment

Working...
                          X