Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction / Registration is Open

Men,

Registration for the 150th Perryville event for the 24th Illinois Federal adjunct battalion is currently open!

I would like to briefly introduce the company staff. I am Thomas Steele and will lead Company F of the 24th Illinois. Due to injury of our pard Nathan "Holler" Hellwig, the command structure of the company has changed to continue to support the battalion. Jeremy Bevard and I have been asked to lead this company as Orderly and 2ndLT, respectively.

Both Jeremy and I are of the Sally Port Mess in Michigan and are members of the ONV. For those who may not know us well, we have had command/leadership experience at events such as; At High Tide, Lost Tribes, Bummers, Crampton's Gap, At 200 Yards Distance, Backwaters, Disaffected in Canada, Return to Manassas, Imprisoned on the Frontier, 150th Shiloh, etc.

At the ONV membership meeting a week ago, this company has been designated as the ONV company for Perryville. It would be excellent to see our pards from around the nation in this company. We are committed to providing a quality experience for those expecting a top notch event. Let there be no doubt that you will have a command staff as thoughtful and attentive to detail as would be expected with John Wickett and Holler.

If you are in the Midwest, have worked with us in the past, a member of the ONV or just want a great company with high standards - Company F is the place for you!

Get your registrations in soon! The deadline for early registration has past; open registration is available until Sept 2012 for $35 per man.

24th Illinois Registration/Information Website - http://24thillinoisperryville150th.webs.com/
    (Remember Company F- currently listed as "Co F: Hairy Nation - Wickett") Just print it out, fill it out and send it in.

See you in the Field!
    Thomas Steele
    24th Illinois, Co. F
    Commanding
    Last edited by ColdSteele; 01-25-2012, 12:22 PM.
    Thomas Steele
    Sally Port Mess
    Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Marmadukes Raid II
    BGA Gettysburg - 24th Mich, Co. F
    Fort Sanders - 20th Mich

Re: Introduction / Registration is Open

A big thanks to Tom and Jeremy for taking over. I have major back issues and while I am going to Shiloh I am not attending as many events as I use to.
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

There is a lot going on this year but don't forget about Perryville! We have some great men enlisted in Co F already so lets keep filling up the ranks there!
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Tom and Jeremy.
        I think I have a pard or two who are nearly convinced to join me in driving to this adventure to Kentucky.
        Their questions:
        Noe's "Perryville" reference refers to soldiers receiving melons and peaches from townfolk and "finding" apples and potatoes in orchards and fields bordering the line of march. Is this a "flat haversack" type of event and if so, what sorts of foodstuffs should men pack for Friday's preservation march/skirmish through Sunday?
        If rations are to be issued, should we bring anything to supplement that bounty? (Such as a sweet potato, radish, carrot, salt/pepper?)
        We wouldn't arrive from Nebraska until suppertime on Thursday. Will there be time after Sunday's battle to tour the rest of the battlefield and the museum?
        We may need an item or two -- we will patronize Joe our military sutler, but is there time set aside to stroll through sutler row and say howdy to old friends?
        Will the wet plate photographer be coming directly to camp, or is Co. F allowed time to have an image struck at a later point?
        One wag wants to attend a late Sunday lecture that's part of the event for the public -- is that also possible?
        Thanks so much.
        Paul Hadley
        Plenty Questions Patrol
        Paul Hadley

Comment

Paul,

I'll chime in here and hopefully have an acceptable answer. Jordan Ricketts is handling our commissary and rations for the battalion. Company officers will take a tally for each company as to how many men will be arriving Thurs evening to take part in the march. Marchers will be issued a small marching ration Thurs evening to cover them until we reach our main camp on friday afternoon. This is a flat haversack event as part of your registration to the battalion covers rations. With said, having a few tubers or an apple for Thurs night won't be bad idea and make a fine supplement to the marching ration. However, when we arrive friday in camp, I am certain that Jordan will have plenty of food to issue and even prepare some for us. Right now, it is important that folks get registered thru the battalion website at: http://24thillinoisperryville150th.webs.com
          by Sept 10th or you can not be issued rations. That is the registration cut-off for the event.

Thanks,
          Jim Butler
          Jim Butler

Comment

I will reinforce the message to my chums that registrations need to be in the mail by Sept 10 -- and, ahem, get my own registration sent in!
            Thanks so much.
            Paul Hadley
            Late of the Stillwater Guard
            Paul Hadley

Comment

Working...
            X