Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential interest in a Stones River-themed encampment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential interest in a Stones River-themed encampment?

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted here, though I used to frequent the AC a good bit. Prior to 2009 I was proud to have participated in a number of authentic events with SCAR and others - Olustee, Fort Sanders, Kennesaw Mountain, and my personal highlight of Into the Piney Woods. Everything hit the fan, however - the economy, life, and other factors - and my participation in the hobby was all but curtailed.

Things have changed, however, and I was recently offered the position of Living History Coordinator at the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History in Kennesaw, GA. It looks like I'm back in the hobby as a professional.:D

Now to the topic at hand:

Every year the museum holds a Civil War Christmas event. This has, in the past, consisted of a varrying degree of authenticity. This year, however, I'd like to do something different. And much bigger.

Would there be any interest in any of you coming down here for the weekend of December 1 to do two authentic encampments - one Federal and one Confederate - about 40 yards apart, seperated by a natural earthwork? The property is set back from the main road by about an acre, but does lie adjacent to a small side street on the proposed Confederate end, and a railroad track on the Federal end. All told, the property is about a quarter acre square.

I'm hoping for as authentic an event as possible, akin to the Kennesaw Mountain encampment with the Hairy Nation Boys that I participated in back in 2009. It also provides for a fun and unique chance to reenact the singing competition both sides partook in prior to the battle of Stones River which, coincidentally, is 150 years ago this December/January.

This two-day event wold be open to spectators, a large number of which we could expect on Saturday due to a concurrent public event near the museum proper.

I'm not putting a limit on numbers, but I'd hope to see at least 6 or so show up for each side.

Before we start the official process of permits, etc, I'd just like to have a sense of whether there is any interest in this event at this stage. Thanks for your feedback!

Best,

~Jonathan Scott

Lead Interpreter/Living History Coordinator
    Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History

ps - I have registered a new official account here for the museum and am awaiting approval. Until that time I will continue to use this, my personal account.
    Jonathan "Scottie" Scott
    Co. A, 104th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    Salt River Rifles

Upcoming:
    <a href="http://www.fortsanders.info/">Race to Knoxville: April 17-19, 2009</a>
    <a href="http://www.georgiadivision.org/">145th Anniversary Battle of Resaca: May 17-19, 2009</a>

Re: Potential interest in a Stones River-themed encampment?

Well, if nothing else Jonathan, congra-rats on the new position!
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Working...
    X