Some First Person for you Yanks at MD MY MD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some First Person for you Yanks at MD MY MD

Just before the battle ofAntietam [writes a correspondent of the New York Sun], five recruits came down for my company. There were no bounty jumpers at this
    Stage of the war. although the courage and patriotism of some of the recruits could not In- vouched for. One of the live new men was named Danforth; a farmer's son.
    fresh from tin- cornfields. As we took up our line of march to meel Lee, this young fellow came to me and said: "See lure, sergeant, I guess I've made a mistake."
    How so? I inquired.

I hain't got no sand. I alius thought I had, hut when I come down here and see what war is. I find I hain't got the spunk of a rabbit."

"That's bad."

"So 'tis; but it's jest the way I feel," the young farmer responded, soberly. We're goin' to have a fight by 'n' by, an' I know what'll happen. I shall bolt as sure
    as preachin."

"Then you'll he called a coward and disgraced forever.”

" I know it, an' I don't want to do it,'' said Danforth, lint I shall, unless you can help me."

" What can I do for yon? "

'Wal, if I can git mad, I'll be all right, an' forgit I'm Scart. Now if you'll keep your eye on me. an a- soon's we git within five miles o' Lee's army give me a stout
    kick'. 1 guess I'll stand it."

After some further talk I promised Danforth to give him a kicking if he showed signs of running away. We were in Hooker's Corps, and we moved against
    Jackson, Danforth came up to me. " Sergeant, kick me or I shall run," he exclaimed. "I haven't got sand enough to see a chicken die." We were moving through the timber, and I stepped behind him and " lifted " him as hard as 1 could.
    He shot aside, and when next 1 saw him we were at a fence on the edge of a cornfield. The firing was hot and men were falling on all sides. I had just tired from a rest on the top rail, when Danforth came up, bead the other way and said:
    "More kicks, sergeant : my sand is going” I kicked him again with a good deal of vigor, just then we got the order to advance, and he was the first man over the fence. Half an hour later we were driven back, considerably disorganized, and as I reached the fence I came across Danforth again. He had a Confederate captain by the collar and was carrying the officer's sword in his hand. As he Haw me he Called out : " Sand is till right, Sergeant. No more kicks. As soon as
    I take this chap to the rear. I'm going back and collar old Stonewall himself, or die trying."

From Confederate Veteran Vol. II, No. 12
    Brad Ireland
    Old Line Mess
    4th VA CO. A
    SWB
Working...
X