Many thanks!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many thanks!!!

Although I am quite mentally and physically exhausted and I am relieved it is over (and I know my wife certainly is glad it is over as well). I did want to again thank ALL of you for supporting the event and working so hard at your impressions and your roles at the event. This is a working town and you all did great bringing it to life! Many thanks to my partners in this...Linda Nyland for all her hard work on the Ladies goals and vignettes and Bev Beverly Simpson for all her efforts in coordinating the food and cooking groups for the event. Thanks to Peter M. Berezuk for his controlling of the grocers, currency, pricing and banking for the event. Thanks to Sean Cooper for putting together all the sign-in packages. Thanks to Matthew Young for putting together all the paperwork for the event. Thanks to Paul & Kim Boulden, Joe Caridi et al for all the work on the Star Restaurant. Thanks to all the people who worked tirelessly on the Wednesday workday. Thanks to my clerks Andrew Jerram, David Chastain and Kevin Edmiston for helping with all the various tasks that needed to be done at the event to keep things going. Thanks to Patrick Craddock, Rob Murray, Joe Smotherman, Brian Hicks, Matt Young, Thomas Federico for all the work on the demands needed for their impressions. Thanks to Ed Henry and Andy Shogren for their efforts putting the tavern together. Thanks to all the cooks who prepared all the fine meals for us. Frankly, I will miss thanking many people for everything they did to make this event come together....but THANK YOU!

Jim Butler
    (aka James Logan) &
    (aka Lt. Col. Charles Lewis)
    Jim Butler

Re: Many thanks!!!

Jim,

...THANK YOU!

-Johnny

:)
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Jim,

As I have mentioned to you before, as a self-admitted "organizational freak" myself, I stand in awe of what you have done with the Westville trilogy. I can only imagine the exhaustion that you feel at this time, but the satisfaction level must be "off the chart." While so many worked to put it together, (and you have rightly given them the proper credit), you were the driving force and it was impressive, indeed. I have experienced a lot over the decades, but this was a unique experience and the men are all talking about how blown away they are to have done all of this in an actual 19th century village and setting!!

Thank you so much for everything and for all of the sacrifices that you made!

Also, my personal thanks to Patrick Craddock and his direct oversight over all things military. A wonderful job as Provost. Brian Hicks did a fantastic job as Judge Advocate General, too!

Mark Choate
      aka Lt. Samuel Kelly
      4th Iowa Cavalry, Co. A.
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Oh, and I would be remiss not to mention Johnny Lloyd's "Oscar-winning" performance as "Mr. Jay" the tax-collector.

It was a pivotal performance!

regards,
        Mark
        Last edited by Mark Choate; 10-29-2012, 08:01 PM.
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

This event was FANTASTIC.
          All the hard work Jim Butler, Linda Nyland and Bev Simpson put into this certainly showed as the event unfolded and ran well as a functioning small town of 1865.

One of my favorite events thus far. I learned alot by experiencing cooking for the Singer House, and gained many memories. I'll certainly cherish the spontanious period moments...everyone did such a great job with their impressions. Well done!

-"Charity"
          [B][FONT=Courier New]~Mia Marie[/FONT][/B]
          Historical Interpreter

Comment

Many thanks to Jim, Bev and Linda for all the time and effort they put into making this event a success. A fine time was had by all!

Lauren Ehas
            Liberty Guards

Comment

WOW!! That would be the first word that comes to mind. As a mere rank and file cpl my part was small. I must admit the nights in the tavern were great, even if it meant being confined to camp saturday for drunkeness friday night. Such is the soldiers life. I admit I almost didn't attend, now I am truly glad I did. Although I think i'd rather be a reb then a blue belly, maybe the civilians would have been a bit friendlier,
              Cpl. Joseph Lambert
              7th TN Co.D

Comment

Jim,

Thanks to you and Mrs. Simpson for your support of The Star Restaurant. I know how beat our tight little staff is from that particular social experiment, and can only imagine how the coordinators much feel. I do hope our choice of offerings was appreciated by the patrons of the town, we did our best to immerse ourselves in the culture.

Paul B.
                Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                (Loblolly Mess)
                [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I highly doubt that a better civilian event has ever been held.
                  This event was as TOP SHELF as it gets.

My compliments to Jim Butler, Bev Simpson, Linda Nyland and everyone else who made it happen.
                  Chip Uhlir
                  SCAR

Comment

This truly was the most unique and rewarding event I have ever attended! The moment we rode into to town it felt like we had travelled back in time to 1865! The interaction (although slightly limited) with the civilians was great and the guard duty, although BORING was a very authentic experience. Some of my highlights were (1)the tavern although I only partook of the cider, the tavern was a great experience for letting loose after a hard day. (2) Being pressed into service as a courior after Mr. Jay was "killed" Saturday night. (3) Johny Lloyd's role as Mr. Jay! That was just spot on great! (4) Joe and Chris getting "indisposed" Friday night... They were very funny and probably a very accurate portrayal of soldiers coming off the campaign into a town with a tavern! I could go on more with what made this event worth the trip but I believe I will just end with I LOVED IT!

Andrew Verdon
                    AKA Henry Rowe
                    4th Iowa Cavalry CO. A
                    Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

I am not sure if the word "THANKS" quite covers it but to all of the aforementioned organized and talented people (in particular Jim Butler) I can only stand in awe. THANK YOU!!!

To the other town patrons I have built a respect and a kinship for their talents that is simply incredible. We truly are a unique group. My personal thanks to Mia and the other Ladies for their cooking at the Singer House, my surprisingly capable boot shop employees and particularly to the talented and wonderfully gracious Johhnny Lloyd (Mr Ray) for his personality and sportsmanship in "adapting" to his role. Thank you Johnny for making the weekend so special for all of us!

We all agree that Westville is more than unique. May it forever stand! I pray that it will continue to be and that "we" can somehow organize and build upon this opportunity to do future events.

I provide a link below to some photos that I took on the last day. I am sorry now that I did not start sooner and do more. GOD Bless everyone that was a part of my own personal enchanting time trip. One that I will cherish and never forget.

Ken R Knopp
                      a.k.a. Mr. John G Singer

Comment

The experience's I had at Westville were well beyond my expectations. It was really great meet with old friends and make new as well. Thank you to everyone who helped make Surrender of Secession a wonderful event, I will never forget it. I would also like to thank all of Company I for allowing me the privilege of serving as your orderly sgt., and a big thanks to whoever it was that posted the South Carolina Printing Company advertisements on the tree beside the courthouse. Those flyers provided a wonderful opportunity to have some extra fun!
                        Tyler Underwood
                        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Firstly, let me give the organizers particularly Jim Butler and Bev. Simpson a hearty thankyou for getting behind the vision of the Restaurant. We could not have made this happen without their support of 'the vision'. The news of the availability of the Rawson House stepped things up a notch for us, and I hope we met expectations for the experience.

Secondly, allow me to introduce and Thank the folks that staffed the restaurant:

Paul Boulden (propr. William Harper)
                          Kim Boulden (wife - Sarah Harper)
                          Joe Caridi (chef - Joe Clifton)
                          Sam Harrelson (sous-chef - fictitous Sammy Clifton)
                          Bill MacIntosh (The Stuff Guy - Bill Broun) - believe it or not, with exception to a handful of tumblers, all the cookery, dishware, and servingware used this weekend is original to the period, with about 80% of which being from Mac's personal collection.

It's hard to believe that the event has already come and gone - sadly, the staff of The Star, in our haste to clean, pack, build, sew, dress tables, cook, serve and cleanup; we neglected to capture the experience in photography.

We have a humble request. Please, if anyone has pictures of the Rawson House (The Star Restaurant), or of our cooking area, before/during/after the event please send them along.

I'll be working on a more detailed and comprehensive AAR in the coming weeks with what went into the restaurant...believe it or not, only one of our staff had Restaurant experience, and it was not our head chef.

As part of our AAR, I'd also like to get feedback, what was liked, and bluntly what wasn't about the restaurant experience. Please if you dined at the restaurant (or attempted to), please provide some feedback.

Thanks!

Paul B. (propr. William Harper)
                          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                          (Loblolly Mess)
                          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Though I did not dine in the restaurant, I had the opportunity to see a bit behind the scenes. I walked over quite early in the morning and Paul was kind enough to share some dried red peppers and black pepper with me, for which I was very grateful. The staff was hard at work and it wasn't even light out yet. I am sure they put in some long days in order to have the variety of foods on the menu that they did. It is a job just to turn out one full meal for a group of people, much less have choices available.

Lauren Ehas, aka Mrs. Walker at the Boarding House
                            Liberty Guards

Comment

I look forward to hearing the AAR of the Star restaurant...I've only heard rave reviews and I'm sure it was quite the experience.
                              Huzzah to everyone who came to Westville and made it such a wonderful event!!

-"Charity"
                              aka cook/house servant of the Singer home.
                              [B][FONT=Courier New]~Mia Marie[/FONT][/B]
                              Historical Interpreter

Comment

Working...
                              X