Many thanks!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Many thanks!!!

Thank you for posting those pictures on Fliker. They are the only pictures of me!
    Miss Katherine Lager
    Casey Lauger
    Living History Coordinator
    Hancock Park District
    [email]caseylauger@gmail.com[/email]

Comment

Thanks for the photo link, Ken!
      Matthew Young

Comment

Lauren – you are quite welcome for the red peppers. Those came out of our garden this summer at Dry Bridge. I do hope I wasn’t too short when you came by in the morning, we were already very busy in the prep. Were you able to cut flakes of tea with a knife?

With exception to Thursday morning (of which we did not go to bed until 0630) and Sunday morning (which we were dragging on, getting out of bed @ 0800), mornings started between 0500-0600, with Bill Mac staying up all night polishing the flatware (Friday night - Saturday morning), and buffing the glassware. First task was to stoke the cookfires, second task was to get a candle lit in the hallway, and light the lanterns on the porch.

I hope that our late night rackit Weds. Evening – Thursday morning did not cause too much consternation for those on our end of town. We had a lot to move along, and it seemed prudent to push through the night. I do feel bad, that we forewent assisting Mrs. Simpson with breakfast on Thursday, as Joe Caridi and both were looking forward to working with her.

Evenings were late running up to 2100 on the cleanup, + any remaining work, and entertaining we elected to do following. Trust me when I say there was never any trouble sleeping when we found a moment to do so.

Were any of our team to be afflicted with the idea of doing a restaurant again, there are a few things we would do differently of course…needed 1-2 dedicated extra hands (Mr. Harrelson was a godsend, coming on board at the last minute), and we’d have 2 washing stations (1 for glassware, flatware, and 1 for dishware).

More thoughts to come later.

Paul B. (William Harper, propr. The Star Restaurant)
        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
        (Loblolly Mess)
        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

We heard you in the boarding house, Paul, but we were too tired to notice you building the Restaurant. It is GREAT to see the steps of the Rawson house are restored, on that note. We swept it out the day prior and it was pretty dilapidated. Good job on the impromptu restoration! That place needed it.
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
          SCAR
          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Anyone know how particular W-ville is about paint? With exception to the FARB-o'licous blaze orange on the mantle, the rest of the colors in that place were great, though VERY tired, and could do with some freshening...was thinking should there be another evolution of W-ville events, it might be nice to get some paint up in there...

In truth, that floor could probably still use a good many sweepings/washings...whose got the bricks?

Paul B.
            Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
            (Loblolly Mess)
            [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Paul, I was not the least bit offended as I knew you were busy. I had already been down to the farmhouse for eggs and to reserve a chicken. I am sure they weren't expecting visitors at 6:30 am , nor were you. The red peppers were a nice addition to our red beans and rice. I don't think Mr. Locke used his tea in brick form, we had some gunpowder tea and fashioned a teabag to use with that. Sunday seemed to be our late morning too, I think everyone was running a little behind by then. I saw your menu, congratulations on pulling off that sort of variety in the setting that you did!

Lauren Ehas, aka Mrs. Walker of the boarding house
              Liberty Guards

Comment

The best events are where we learn something new about the period. I can safely say I did just that at the Restaurant. Also, the firper there was some of the best I've had in the hobby in 14 years. MANY thanks!
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                SCAR
                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I hope deeply that there will be another Westville event. While I enjoy my role as a troopper, I feel a deep calling to run the bellows at the blacksmith shop, although some time on the lacing pony in the boot shop would work as well.
                  Cpl. Joseph Lambert
                  7th TN Co.D

Comment

Maybe if we feed Jim enough swamp monsters we could talk him into doing another one.:)
                    Tyler Underwood
                    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                      I would also like to thank all of Company I for allowing me the privilege of serving as your orderly sgt.,
                      Tyler,

You did an outstanding job with short notice. I hope my constant bitching and complaining wasn't too much of a pain in the butt.

Bill Rodman (the evil Pvt. Cronk)
                      Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Bill, It was a pleasure meeting you. I didn't mind at all, it helped add to my persona. The funny thing was you did such a great job at it, that I had a couple of people approach me in "Cuba" about your attitude. They didn't realize that it was all part of your firper and it all began prior to the event.

Again it was great meeting you and I do look forward to seeing you in the future.
                        Tyler Underwood
                        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                          The funny thing was you did such a great job at it, that I had a couple of people approach me in "Cuba" about your attitude. They didn't realize that it was all part of your firper and it all began prior to the event.
                          Tyler,

Now, that's really funny! Once upon a time, I was a First Sergeant in the real Army and I felt your pain. Sometimes, it's really tough to balance the mission with the needs of the men. You managed to perform the mission with a very limited number of men and keep everybody happy. (Well, almost everybody!) Great job.

BTW, I tried to be equally unpleasant to most of the various civilians I came in contact with, especially the ladies in the McDonald house. Private Cronk was not a happy camper! He didn't want to be in the Army and he sure didn't want to be in Westville!
                          Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Working...
                          X