This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zouaves at Gettysburg 2013?

I had a discussion the other day with someone on why people in the authentic community tend to shy away from the zouave aspect of the hobby and decided to throw this out there. Who would be interested in doing an authentic company of Lousiana Wheat Tigers for 150th Gettysburg?
    [CENTER]Yours with a jerk,
    Michael Kirby
    [COLOR="Green"]Fort Moultrie : STRANGER DANGER!
    Sharpsburg LH: Wrecking the Van (The Tripp Corbin Experience)
    Westville GA Work Weekend: SWAMP MONSTER![/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Bummers
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Pt. Lookout Maryland LH
    Rivers Bridge Federal Campaigner Adjunct
    Backwaters 1865
    In The Van: Trailing Kirby Smith
    Before The Breakout
    Struggles of Secession[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Re: Gettysburg 2013?

I've not encountered any evidence to indicate the zouave uniform of the company was still in use as late as Gettysburg.
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I think a zoave impression would be really cool and I know a number of authentics who've done so. However, I would opt for a Fed regiment, especially given Marc's observation, above.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Wasn't the 146th NY wearing newish light blue zoo zoo suits when they helped claim LRT?
        What do you who portray that regiment say?
        Obliged,
        Paul Hadley
        Paul Hadley

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLandFed View Post
          Wasn't the 146th NY wearing newish light blue zoo zoo suits when they helped claim LRT?
          What do you who portray that regiment say?
          That's exactly who crossed my mind. What makes that regiment good to portray is the fact that their uniforms were produced at Schuylkill Arsenal, so there is less of a concern about "what fabric to use" in reproducing them. The main fabric is good ol' sky blue kersey!
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Eric Stephenson, who sometimes posts, used to do the 146th NY. I'm sure he has some info as to what those fellows had in July of 63
            I wa sunder the impression that Wheats battalion was disbanded by July of 63.
            Now the 150th of Jacksons Valley campaign is another matter.....
            Bryant Roberts
            Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
            palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Who is organizing the 150th Gettysburg event? Is this going to be an event worth attending for the historical representation or is it the feel good sentimental favorite mainstream effort?
              Joe Smotherman

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                Who is organizing the 150th Gettysburg event? Is this going to be an event worth attending for the historical representation or is it the feel good sentimental favorite mainstream effort?
                Joe,

(In a "Tony the Tiger" voice) Grrrrrrr-eat questions!

I will be a "A" 150th Gettsyburg event. A lot will need to change before I would agree to attend "THE" 150th Gettsyburg event. I gave up megafests after Manassmess 140.

Thanks for keeping us on-track.

And now, a word from Modsylvania:
                If this thread devolves to an "Us vs Them" discussion, it will be closed. Thanks for your understanding on this.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Would be wonderful to get authentic dual living histories going on both sides of the field at some point in 2013. I'd make the drive for that one.
                  Paul Calloway
                  Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                  Proud Member of the GHTI
                  Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                  Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by paulcalloway View Post
                    Would be wonderful to get authentic dual living histories going on both sides of the field at some point in 2013. I'd make the drive for that one.
                    I'll second that. be pretty cool to have 2 250 man battalions squaring off.
                    Maybe 4th texas and 124th NY? 1st Minn and 8th Fl?
                    Bryant Roberts
                    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

The 146th was in regulation stuff at Gettysburg, didn't get their Zouave stuff until later.

You have the 114th PA, 10th NY (HQ Guard), 14th Brooklyn, 72nd PA, 95th PA, and maybe pieces here and there among the 73rd NY remaining.
                      Marc A. Hermann
                      Liberty Rifles.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinGuardsNYSM View Post
                        The 146th was in regulation stuff at Gettysburg, didn't get their Zouave stuff until later.
                        According to Brainard's regimental history, the 146th New York received their zouave uniforms June 3, 1863, prior to Gettysburg. I believe the 140th New York was, however, still in regulation attire at that time.

Eric
                        Eric J. Mink
                        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

In reading Sears' book, I thought that a "Gettysburg After Dark" scenario would be pretty interesting... the scenario being a picket post during the evening of either June 30 or maybe July 1.

My preference would be June 30. At that point, neither side had a good grasp how many they were facing, but tensions were high.
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Originally posted by Dignann View Post
                            According to Brainard's regimental history, the 146th New York received their zouave uniforms June 3, 1863, prior to Gettysburg. I believe the 140th New York was, however, still in regulation attire at that time.
                            Aye aye, my mistake.
                            Marc A. Hermann
                            Liberty Rifles.

Comment

French, the truths, to follow you in this new adventure, that interest you???
                              Then, what regiment? 146th. 140th. Other?:tounge_sm
                              William Miconnet
                              French Mess
                              AES
                              BGR & IPW Survivor
                              Never ever give up!
                              In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                              I believe!

Comment

Working...
                              X