Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company E for Confederate AOT Adjunct at Chickamauga 2013

Gentlemen,
    I am raising a company for the 5th Confederate adjunct commanded by Mr. Landrum. All are welcome into the company and those who fought under my command at Shiloh 2012 are welcome back in the ranks. As we get closer to the event I will post more information pertaining to the company. As far as adjunct information it can be accessed at, http://5thconfederate150th.weebly.com/index.html

Looking forward to seeing you in the field,
    Chad Wrinn

Re: Company E for Confederate AOT Adjunct at Chickamauga 2013

Im In! Captain
    Originally posted by Chad Wrinn View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I am raising a company for the 5th Confederate adjunct commanded by Mr. Landrum. All are welcome into the company and those who fought under my command at Shiloh 2012 are welcome back in the ranks. As we get closer to the event I will post more information pertaining to the company. As far as adjunct information it can be accessed at, http://5thconfederate150th.weebly.com/index.html

Looking forward to seeing you in the field,
    Jessie Byrd
    Breckinridge greys
    Hardcase boys
    Casey 424 F&AM

"Un-F@$k yourselves! March!

Comment

Count me in!
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I'm all in for this!!
        Jeff Wysong
        Breckinridge Greys

150th Shiloh
        Corinth-Shiloh Memorial March
        150th Perryville Preservation March

150th Gettysburg
        1st Tennessee Provisional Regiment Adjunct
        150th Chickamauga
        5th Confederate Infantry, Company E, AOT Adjunct

150th Bermuda Hundred
        150th Pickett's Mill

Comment

The following details from unit information in the National Archives shed some light on the 5th Confederate Infantry, and Company E.

The regiment was formed by the consolidation of Walker's 2nd Tennessee Infantry and the 21st Tennessee Infantry. The 2nd TN was consolidated into 4 companies, which became Companies A, D, E, and F in the new 5th Confederate regiment. The 21st TN was also consolidated into 4 companies, which became Companies B, C, G, and H. (There were no Companies I & K.)

Company E was commanded by Capt. James H. Beard, formerly 2nd Lieut. of Co. C, 2nd Tennessee Inf. He had originally enlisted April 26, 1861 at Memphis. The muster roll for July 23, 1863 shows that he was age 21, and that he had been elected Captain of Co. E, 5th Confederate Inf. His older brother 1st Lieut. Richard Beard (23) served with him at Chickamauga.

During the time period including the battle of Chickamauga, the 3rd Confederate was consolidated with the 5th, under the command of Col. James A. Smith of the 5th Confederate. Muster rolls of Co. E, 3rd Confederate Inf. (Capt. M. H. Dixon) show that the unit was eventually present with the Army of Tennessee before and after Chickamauga. This seems to indicate that during the field consolidation of the 2 regiments during parts of 1863 and 1864, the companies retained their identity.

Company E was well supplied with clothing at that time. It is interesting that jackets are underrepresented on the following, unless they were received on a different date. A requisition for clothing and equipment received Aug. 31, 1863, signed by Capt. J. H. Beard, Commanding Co., shows that the company received 11 pr. shoes, 18 drawers, 11 shirts, 17 pr. pants, and 6 hats [copy attached]. A previous requisition for the month of June 1863 shows that 24 pr. shoes, 7 shirts, 21 pr. pants, 6 pr. drawers, 4 jackets were received [copy attached]. The June requisition was for Co. E, 3rd & 5th Confed. Regts., and was also signed by Capt. J. H. Beard, Commanding Co. This would seem to indicate that there was only one Co. E between the consolidated regiments, and leads me to ask if anyone has other information on this consolidation?
          5CS Beard 28.jpg 5CS Beard 18.jpg
          A statement from Col. Smith certified that the regiment expended 1180 cartridges cal. .577 and 1843 percussion caps in the quarter ending June 30, 1863. A requisition for the 3rd Confederate Infantry, Col. J. A. Smith commanding, for ordnance stores for the month of Aug. 1863 included 5 Enfield rifles cal. .577, again indicating that the 3rd/5th Confederate carried Enfields at Chickamauga. On that requisition, Col. Smith stated that "there are 192 non-commissioned officers and privates under my command." Company E, with at least 18 men according to the Aug. 31 requisition, must have been one of the larger companies.
          Brian Chastain
          Breckinridge Greys
          Independent Rifles
          WIG

breckinridgegreys.org

Comment

I'm going to this for sure
            Nick Sparks

Breckinridge Greys

Comment

Gentlemen we need to get those registration forms in, the fee goes up on Monday.
              Chad Wrinn

Comment

Chad,
                Is there any way to check our registration? I did mine several months ago, and just wanted to make sure it went through-I was having computer issues at the time.

Thanks
                Jeff Wysong
                Breckinridge Greys

150th Shiloh

150th Gettysburg
                150th Chickamauga

150th Bermuda Hundred
                150th Pickett's Mill

Comment

Jeff,

Did you register through the event website?
                  Joe Smotherman

Comment

No, I'm about 98% sure that I printed the form and mailed it in with the ration fee. It was around the holidays though, so things get a little hazy.

Thanks
                    Jeff Wysong
                    Breckinridge Greys

150th Shiloh

150th Gettysburg
                    150th Chickamauga

150th Bermuda Hundred
                    150th Pickett's Mill

Comment

Jeff,

You are registered. Rosters were posted so far to the COs a few days ago and all registrations are posted on the 150tg Chickamauga website
                      Patrick Landrum
                      Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                      X