Federal Campaigner Company for 150th Chickamauga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Campaigner Company for 150th Chickamauga

The 24th Missouri Volunteer Infantry (recreated) will be sponsoring a campaigner company for like- minded individuals wishing to portray Federal at Chickamauga on the weekend of September 20-22, 2013. This company will be attached to the Army of the Frontier, commanded by Gen. Steve Dunfee, which also consists of troops from the Frontier Battalion, Holmes Brigade and Army of the Pacific. Our company will portray Company F, of the 8th Kansas Infantry Regiment, as part of an overall guiding impression for the battalion.

During its term of service the Eighth traveled ten thousand seven hundred and fifty miles. It participated in fifteen battles and eighteen skirmishes. The regiment had three regimental flags. Under the first, which it carried until it returned to the state on veteran furlough, it marched three thousand, six hundred and eighty-one miles, and lost three commissioned officers and forty-four enlisted men killed, ten commissioned officers, and two hundred and one enlisted men wounded, and twenty enlisted men missing. A recreated version of this flag will be flown during the event by our sister company, the modern day 8th Kansas Infantry, which will also feature in its ranks Bill McFarland, author of Keep The Flag to the Front, The Story of the 8th Kansas Volunteer Infantry.

The original Eighth saw hard action in the engagement at Chickamauga. Serving in an undersized brigade commanded by General Hans Heg (the 15th Wisconsin on its right flank held a mere 176 rifles), in the first day’s action it entered into fierce combat amongst the dense woods north of the Viniard Farm. In a savage engagement with Gregg’s Tennessee Brigade and up to three batteries of Confederate Artillery, the regiment losses in killed, wounded and missing numbered two hundred and forty-three officers and men out of a total of four hundred and six men present, about sixty-five per cent of all engaged.

From The Museum of the Kansas National Guard:

"Few regiments in the army embraced in their operations so vast and varied a scope of country. The gleam of its bayonets was seen from Fort Laramie, Nebraska, to the Rio Grande; its banners fluttered in the sunlight from Kansas to the North Carolina line; the crack of its rifles startled the echoes in the valley of the Platte and along the hillsides of the Tennessee and the Chattahoochee. They represented nearly every branch of mechanical, agricultural and literary pursuits, and were men of many and widely different characters. Their roughness and violence was tempered by discipline and never failing good humor. They recognized no will but duty; they loved their country with a deep, abiding affection; they dreamed of no delight but her service; they asked no reward but her triumph..."

Established organization and goals for the event will be to form a 35 man company under the following cadre leadership:

Company Captain Cal Kinzer
    1st Sergeant Frank Siltman
    2nd Sergeant Mark Vlahos
    Corporal Mike Phineas
    Corporal Steve Shore

Additional company officers and positions of leadership will be flexible and determined according to experience and judgment of the company officer, as well as eventual company size. This group has been together many years, and forms the core of the old F Company which attended past events such as Raymond, Franklin, and Corinth under Dom Dal Bello’s Army of the Pacific.

This company will highlight experienced leadership, campaign-style camping, a military atmosphere, and a semi-immersive experience. Participants are expected to display proper military bearing and should have ample opportunity to participate in the first person throughout the event. Participants should also expect the following traditional EBUFU activities: ration issue, guard duty, fatigue duty, and drill. The various battle scenarios will take place on part of the original maneuvering land just south of the National Park, over which elements of the two armies fought during the 2-3 days prior to the main battle. It is in a beautiful valley, largely free from modern intrusions. Be prepared to skirmish in battle, sleep on arms, advance pickets, and perhaps even another surprise or two, scenario permitting. The company camp will be run in strict military fashion and remain free of any modern talk and intrusions. Rations may be issued at the brigade, battalion, or company level, and is as of yet undetermined.

Uniform impressions will be strictly adhered to, and are referenced from the standards put forth in the 2010 Before the Breakout Event. In fact, this effort can be looked upon as a prequel for that aforementioned successful event. Special thanks to Jim Butler and Pete Berezuk for consideration in these guidelines.

GUIDING IMPRESSION:

8th Kansas Volunteer Infantry Regiment in the prescribed Fatigue Uniform per the U.S. Army Regulations of 1861. All items are expected to be of period construction and made from period correct natural materials. The items listed below are in order of preference.

This is a campaign event and our guiding impression is of soldiers who had been on active campaign, doing hard marching and skirmishing leading up to a crushing defeat at Chickamauga. Research indicates that the 8th Kansas was very informal with the uniform of the Officer’s and NCO’s at this point in 1863. It is preferred that NCO’s wear issue uniforms only. NCO’s are permitted to wear rank chevrons and trouser stripes, but they are not required. Officers will be permitted wide latitude in their dress from private purchase clothing all the way to enlisted issue clothing. Officers are encouraged to wear subdued rank or no rank at all.

Special reference to Pete Berezuk in developing these guidelines.

Uniform Items

Coat:
    1. Lined or Unlined Dark Blue Flannel Fatigue Blouse of any 1858 to 1863 arsenal or contract pattern required
    2. Enlisted Infantry Frock Coats permitted. Private Purchase coats are discouraged and ‘State’ or ‘Infantry’ Jackets of any pattern will not be permitted.

Headgear:
    1. Issue Forage Caps and Dress Hats are preferred.
    2. Civilian slouch hats in black are permitted.

Footwear:
    1. Federal issue Jefferson Bootees preferred.
    2. Civilian pattern brogans or boots permitted, but discouraged.

Trousers:
    Sky Blue Federal Foot Pattern Trousers of an 1861 to 1863 arsenal or contract variant required. Private Purchase trousers are discouraged.

Shirt:
    1. Federal Issue pattern of domet flannel preferred
    2. Period civilian patterns permitted.

Drawers:
    1. Federal Issue pattern of Canton flannel preferred
    2. Period civilian patterns permitted.

Socks:
    1. Federal Issue patterns of cotton or wool preferred
    2. Hand knit civilian patterns permitted.

Ordnance Equipment

Weapon:
    1. 1853 Enfield rifle-musket
    2. 1861 Springfield rifle-musket
    3. 1855 Springfield rifle-musket

Bayonet:
    Correct pattern for your weapon with a functional locking ring required.

Waist Belt:
    1857 pattern waist belt with US belt plate required. Belts maybe of bridle, waxed or blackened buff leather.

Bayonet Scabbard:
    Two-rivet Gaylord pattern bayonet scabbard preferred. All sewn Gaylord pattern bayonet scabbards permitted.

Cap Pouch:
    Shield Front cap pouch preferred, all sewn 1850 Pattern cap pouches permitted.

Cartridge Box:
    1. 1861 pattern .58 Cal cartridge box preferred,
    2. 1857 pattern .69 Cal and .58 Cal cartridge boxes permitted.
    US cartridge box and Eagle sling plates required. Box slings may be of bridle, waxed or blackened buff leather.

Personal Items

Canteen:
    Federal issue canteen (smooth side or bull’s eye) with cotton or linen sling and twine attachment preferred. New York Depot canteens with leather slings and chain attachments discouraged.

Haversack:
    Federal pattern painted cloth haversack required.

Knapsacks:
    Blanket Rolls preferred, 1855 pattern double bag knapsacks accepted.

Blanket:
    Federal Issue blanket in Grey or Brown preferred.

Ground Cloth:
    Federal Issue Gum Blanket preferred. Period Oil Cloths permitted.

Shelter Half:
    Federal Issue Shelter Halves with hand sewn grommets are encouraged but not required.

Mess Furniture:
    Tin Plate or Canteen Half, Cup and Utensils required. This is a campaign event so groups are encouraged to utilize a ‘Mess’ structure to provide for themselves with light frying pans, camp kettles and coffee pots. Further direction may come down from company leadership.

Penknives, watches, jewelry, etc. must be of period style. "Comfort items," such as camp hats, balaclavas, scarves, mittens, gloves permitted. NO MODERN EYEWEAR. Period personal hygiene items permitted. Prescription medications/contact lens care items should be concealed in period containers. Smoking items permitted, except for modern cigarettes.

All interested parties must contact Cal Kinzer personally at ckinzer@juno.com. Every effort will be made to keep individual messes and pards together. Any volunteers for positions of leadership must also be approved by company leadership, with knowledge, experience, and accompanying rifles taken into consideration.
    Last edited by Strawfoot; 05-24-2013, 03:51 PM. Reason: Approved.
    Mike Phineas
    Arlington, TX
    24th Missouri Infantry
    Independent Volunteer Battalion
    www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Re: Federal Campaigner Company for 150th Chickamauga

Excellent! My G-G-grandfather served in the 52nd OVI at Chickamauga and our mess has decided to do this event blue. We had been waiting for someone to put together an authentic presence for this event. We'll be seeing you there, by and by.
    Bob Muehleisen
    Furious Five
    Cin, O.

Comment

That is great Bob, it's been a while since we've marched with the Furious Five back at Pickett's Mill in 2003! I also want to put a side note out there for you aspiring campaigners. Our company captain is less concerned with the stitch count and make of your clothing than he is about your ability to simply perform as a soldier. If you feel to be lacking in gear that may keep you from attending Chickamauga in our company, I encourage you to contact Cal and we will see if anyone in the company can help outfit you. I myself missed the Pickett's Mill event in 2001, not from a lack of desire, but because I was tentative and knew my gear did not pass muster. I was new to the campaigning circles and loathe to reach out and ask for help. This is personal for me, and at our labor we will do any and all to help out those who may find themselves in likewise straights.
      Last edited by Strawfoot; 05-25-2013, 08:42 AM.
      Mike Phineas
      Arlington, TX
      24th Missouri Infantry
      www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Boy, has THIS got my attention!

This is a bit unique, you don't see so much of an "accommodating-open arms" approach like this, in events announcements.

I met Mike and some of the other boys in the 24th Missouri at Vicksburg, and can tell you they ARE nice folk!

Kevin Dally
        Kevin Dally

Comment

Kevin

You will fit in great! Look forward to serving in the ranks with you in Blue!
          Mark Vlahos
          24th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
          New Braunfels TX

[I]Travel Light and Forage![/I]

Comment

All,

I had an opportunity to fall in with the 24th Missouri at Prairie Grove last December. I was welcomed by a great bunch of guys who were very accommodating, friendly, and committed to doing it right. After being out of the hobby for a little while, it was refreshing to come back in and do a gig with these guys.

This one is definitely on my radar! If work and school allow, I hope to fall in with these gents again come September.
            If you want to go blue and are looking for a good fire to share in Georgia, look no further.

Best regards,
            Sean Harla

Comment

The 24th Missouri has a really good website. It gives you pretty good info about the unit and has lots of pics. Definitely worth a look.

James Teeple
              24 th Mo

Comment

It would probably help if I actually gave the web address. www.24thmissouri.org .

James Teeple
                24th MO

Comment

To all,

Mike Phineas has started a "closed group" Facebook page for the 150th Chickamauga Federal Company also. Updated from the Captain will be posted as we get closer in.
                  Mark Vlahos
                  24th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
                  New Braunfels TX

[I]Travel Light and Forage![/I]

Comment

Website is up for the company.

Jonathan Siltman
                    24th Missouri Vol. Inf.
                    Bully Boys Mess
                    www.24thmissouri.org
                    Ft. Sill Museum Gun Crew
                    Good ol' Fashion Troublemaker

Comment

After missing the Landing last year (back problems) and Gburg this year I am happy to say I can make Chick! Really excited to fall in with my comrades of the 24th Missouri! We had a great time at the Vicksburg living history earlier this year. Two Hairy Nation Boys are registered and we hope to get one more. I have know Cal Kinzer for a number of years and he is a good leader and a good man. Hope to see you all in September!
                      Holler
                      Nathan Hellwig
                      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Huzzah! Glad to hear it!
                        Jonathan Siltman
                        24th Missouri Vol. Inf.
                        Bully Boys Mess
                        www.24thmissouri.org
                        Ft. Sill Museum Gun Crew

Comment

All another link to the website: http://westernfederal.webs.com/
                          Jonathan Siltman
                          24th Missouri Vol. Inf.
                          Bully Boys Mess
                          www.24thmissouri.org
                          Ft. Sill Museum Gun Crew

Comment

Looks like the federals could use a little bump for Chick.
                            Nathan Hellwig
                            AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                            "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Don't worry Holler, there are some interesting developments coming in regards to this effort!
                              Mike Phineas
                              Arlington, TX
                              24th Missouri Infantry
                              www.24thmissouri.org

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Working...
                              X