Naval Boat Attack : Fort Sumter, September, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naval Boat Attack : Fort Sumter, September, 2013

This thread will be dedicated to the Union Naval Boat Attack of 9/8/1863, with a 150th Anniversary in 2013. I would like to transfer the discussion here for future research and planning.

Along with U. S. Marines and Navy, we will also discuss, Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbor, and the Charleston Battalion under Major Stephen Elliot.

Yesterday I did some research into the event, it appears that in Charleston, Union dead and wounded were always separated from Confederate Soldiers. The Union dead were buried at the Hampton Race Course, which was a former mustering camp. After the war, most of them were disinterred and buried at Beaufort National Cemetery. The Union POW's were held at the City Jail and a Wayside Hotel that was converted into a hospital.

In regards to the Union dead at Fort Sumter, I found this entry from a Centennial Book produced by South Carolina in 1961:

"Sept. 9th, 1 a.m. The assault on Fort Sumter by two columns of boats from the fleet repulsed, with the capture of 115 prisoners, four boats and three colors, 6 killed, 19 wounded, 124 total. Confederate losses, none. Flag of truce in from the from the fleet to Sumter and receiving the dead."

Which explains the arrangements for some of the dead. It is also a possibility that some of the Union dead were buried in the potter's field in Charleston. It will be our project to trace the names of participants of the Boat Landing. We will also raise money for Civil War Preservation.

In addition to Naval and Marine, customs and material culture, we will also need to discuss the LH program. What would you like to do or see? I would value your input and support. The Tramp Brigade will sponsor this event but, we want other individuals and units to feel included in the process, provided that they are aiming for a well researched and accurate portrayal of the event.

If we could secure 50 Naval and Marine Participants and perhaps 30-50 Confederates. I believe 100 people would be the maximum amount we could accommodate at the fort.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Re: Naval Boat Attack : Fort Sumter, September, 2013

Greg, I and possibly some of my "crew" for a lack of better words, might be interested in the Naval part and impressions. We are currently working on US Navy impressions. What are your thoughts as to the naval part of the event?
    [B]Justin Morris[/B]
    [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
    "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

Alright you leather necks , fortress Johnnies and Squids, here is your yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boatattack1863/

Send me an email for an invite and note your reenacting unit and impression. All members agree to abide by the historical standards. Although it's on yahoo, doesn't mean they are welcomed.

Email me for an invite if the group does not work. A good place to meet would be " To Prevent the Effusion of Blood" in January.

email: ga_deese@yahoo.com
      Gregory Deese

"How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

I am interested in the Naval portion if this is still on....
        Ken Latham
        Bon Aqua, TENN
        Independent Rifles
        Duck River Squadron

Comment

Ken,

The event is still on. Greg sent some information to me about the event the other day.
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

Cool thanks. I sent an email to him
            Ken Latham
            Bon Aqua, TENN
            Independent Rifles
            Duck River Squadron

Comment

Greg, check your PM box.
              Robert Collett
              8th FL / 13th IN
              Armory Guards
              WIG

Comment

This event is still on. Although we are looking at a reduced level due to conflicting events in September. This will be a living history style, with talks and demonstrations, if you are still interested in attending please email me or search for me on Face Book.
                Gregory Deese

Comment

Still up for this, and may bring some other Hoosiers with me. Have a solid date yet?
                  [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
                  William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Comment

We have a planning meeting with the National Park Service next week, the BA 2013 event is still on although other projects this year were cancelled due to budget constraints. We will have to scale back as I said in December, so far we have 25 people committed for the LH. If you are interested in participating we still have openings. The dates are on the original anniversary September 6-8th 2013. The primary impressions are Confederate Artillery, Charleston Battalion and U.S. Marines/ Naval Impression. Other impressions must be cleared.
                    Gregory Deese

Comment

Registration for this will end on August 15th of this year. I started organizing this event in 2009, 2 years before the first 150th battle reenactment. I am hoping that my fellow AC members are still committed to supporting the events that are innovative and they would support their own series of events.
                      Gregory Deese

Comment

The registration email is: gregory.deese@comcast.net, we are looking for a donation of $25 for the event to cover rations and event expenses; same address for Paypal. You will need to complete the registration form, which you can receive by contacting Pete Berezuk (U.S. Marines), Mike Doyle (U.S. Navy) or myself:

Standards-authenticity guides for the Charleston Battalion (20 positions) Infantry only are as follows:

Confederate Standards for the Charleston Battalion at Fort Sumter, summer 1863.
                        Jackets:
                        ]
                        By order of preference.
                        a. Charleston Depot pattern.
                        b. Documented frock coats with or without Infantry piping
                        c. Richmond Depot pattern shell jacket Type II
                        d. North Carolina pattern shell jacket
                        e. Civilian jacket (less used since this was a well equipped unit)

Buttons ‑ Wooden, Federal Eagle, Block I, Script I, SC buttons for officers.

Trousers:
                        1. Southern Depot Military style
                        2. Civilian style

Suspenders of civilian pattern, cotton webbing, canvas, or ticking with either button holes or leather tips with tin or brass buckles (no nickel plated metal).

Shirts: Documented civilian or military pattern in wool or cotton, flannel or muslin.

Drawers:
                        Military issue or civilian style in cotton or wool flannel if worn

Headgear:
                        1. Infantry Kepi (Charleston, NC or Richmond Depot pattern)
                        2. Citizen Hat, any usual period color.
                        3. Straw wide brimmed plantation style

Hats should have as appropriate the proper sweatband, lining, ribbon, and stitching. Trim and insignia should be limited. Forage caps and Union caps are not allowed. Also no Wheel, Scottish, Mechanics, Hillbilly, Cowboy, Fedora or any other hats outside of the standards will be accepted.

Footwear:
                        a. Jefferson brogan pattern shoes.
                        b. English imported shoes

Blankets:
                        a. Civilian style, 100% wool, woven blankets in natural.
                        b. Confederate issue/North Carolina Blanket
                        c. Union issue blanket
                        Gum blankets/ground cloth:
                        Oil cloth, painted canvas, or captured Federal issue gum blanket (limited)

Weapons:
                        a. Enfield Rifle, M1853, 3‑band
                        b Springfield pattern rifle, M1855
                        c. Springfield pattern smoothbore musket, M1842, M1822 converted to percussion.
                        d. Belgian Rifle
                        e. Whitworth English Rifle, (specialty impression)
                        f. Austrian-Lorenz Rifle

Side arms are only allowable for officers and approved NCO impressions.

Appropriate bayonet for weapon carried.

Accouterments:
                        Cartridge box and cartridge box belt
                        1. M1855/61 box and tins
                        2. Documented Confederate manufactured pattern box of
                        leather or painted canvas and tins
                        3. English Enfield box and tins
                        4. Box for .69 caliber weapons and tins
                        Cap box
                        a. M1845/50 pattern
                        b. Documented Confederate manufactured pattern of leather or painted canvas
                        c. Imported Enfield style

Waist belt and waist belt plate
                        English Snake buckles, roller buckles, and even oval CS are also acceptable. Some SC, militia, and civilian buckles can also be used in limited numbers. No upside down US plates allowed. Waist belt should be black, russet or buff leather or painted canvas and appropriate to the buckle.

Bayonet Scabbard
                        Appropriate for the weapon and bayonet being carried.

Knapsacks Options:
                        a. Mexican War single bag pattern
                        b. British import pattern: Issac & Campbell/A. Ross
                        c. Federal Double bag pattern
                        d. No knapsack, bedroll or carpet bag.

Canteens:
                        a. Confederate tin drum
                        b. Wooden drum (Gardner or other documented pattern.)
                        c. Federal pattern‑‑smooth side
                        Straps should be cotton, cotton webbing, or leather sewn together or with a buckle or button.

Haversacks:
                        1. White cotton duck unpainted
                        2. Black painted (Moses Alexander)
                        4. Federal pattern
                        Gregory Deese

Comment

U.S. Naval Standards for the Fort Sumter boat assault, September 2013. (Mike Doyle)

Coat: Dark blue U. S. Navy frock.
                          Buttons: U.S. Naval or Federal Eagle.
                          Trousers: Dark blue broad fall trousers, or navy 13 button, dark blue infantry style without braces (suspenders).
                          Shirts: Dark blue T-shirt and/or white muslin.
                          Neckerchief: Black silk.
                          Drawers: Military issue or civilian style, cotton or wool flannel.
                          Headgear: Dark blue US Navy flat hat, without ships hatband identification or ribbons.
                          Footwear: Black Jefferson brogan pattern shoes, wool or cotton knit socks in white, or natural color.
                          Blankets: Union issue blanket, gum blankets/ground cloth:
                          Weapons: Most pre 1863, 2 or 3-banded long rifle/musket is acceptable (appropriate bayonet for weapon). No flintlocks
                          Side arms are only allowed for officers and approved NCO impressions.
                          Navy cutlasses were and should be worn by NCO’s.
                          “All weapons must be clean and in good operating condition”
                          Cartridge box and belt: U.S. Navy issue cartridge box (Infantry pattern acceptable) without brass plate. Cartridge box is to be worn on belt, no shoulder straps.
                          Cap box: U. S. Navy or M1845/50 pattern
                          Waist belt: This belt is currently being researched. The type that’s being considered is a black belt with simple brass hook instead of a belt buckle.
                          Bayonet Scabbard: Appropriate for the weapon and bayonet being carried.
                          Knapsacks Optional: Federal pattern
                          Canteens: Federal pattern smooth side, straps should be cotton, cotton webbing, or leather sewn together or with a buckle or button.
                          Haversacks: Federal pattern, black-tarred
                          Gregory Deese

Comment

As of 11 July 13, we have 23 committed registrations so far, we will cap at 40. Registrations will close on August 15th 2013. Contact me at gregory.deese@comcast.net.
                            Gregory Deese

Comment

This event thread can be deleted, we did achieve 25 participants. After ten years of dedication to Ebufu and five years of promotion, this was all I could get to recognize this battle. The campaigner movement went from supporting high quality independent events to becoming the side show to the mainstream side show with the adjunct movement. Way to go guys, you betrayed everything you once believed in and sold out.
                              Gregory Deese

Comment

Working...
                              X