Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resaca Federal Adjunct AAR's

Greetings!

So, how was the Federal Adjunct? How did the Campaigner College go on Saturday?
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Resaca Federal Adjunct AAR's

It was a good little event. I enjoy seeing all of my pards more than portraying a particular unit however portraying the 70th Indiana Infantry which is my home state was a nice feeling. A couple of us took our "privately purchased" Henry rifles which was something I'd not had out of the house for a couple of years. I now remember how much fun it is to have a weapon with fire power that is so superior to single shot muzzle loading weapons. Units completely outfitted with a Henry or Spencer or similar repeater could dominate a portion of the field. What an amazing change in the course of warfare. I know supplying units with sufficient ammunition was a factor due to the consumption of rounds, but I must say simply WOW. I can't imagine a soldier who had seen a demonstration of them not saying "I'll take one!" John Wilder, a banker from Indiana who financed repeating Spencer Rifles for the brigade he lead until each soldier paid off his repeater, was a forward thinking leader.

image.jpg

I was thankful we had a tent fly to crawl under when the rain came. I normally have just a gum to roll in but with both it was a dry night. Now I want to take it out for live fire to see how accurate I can get with it. Again it was great to see my pards and represent my home.
    Last edited by Matt Woodburn; 05-19-2014, 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

I went to the event as a Delegate for the U.S. Christian Commission and camped in the area with the 70th. It was a great weekend. The camp looked superb and the organization and structure operated as it should. This was the first event I had my son at with me, and it was a great event for him in that is was small and not so large that he couldn't take it all in.

I had a great time interacting with the troops in camp, and I had one of those "there" moments after Noah and I had gone through camp distributing tracts and newspapers (correctly dated 8 days before the event). As I went back to the area we were camped at (with 70th Indiana Regimental Sutler Joe Smotherman), I turned around and was talking with someone for a moment and then looked over camp.... in the damp woods you could see small fires shimmering their light and various arrangements of gum blankets and shelter halves offering protection from the light rain that had been falling. Soldiers were reclined in every manner, smoking pipes, cooking, and/or reading the newspapers or tracts we had just handed out. It was what it would have looked like.

Joe did an outstanding job with the regimental sutlery and provided another great experience to the men. Hopefully the fellas these days won't get so used to that type of thing that they forget that it is a tremendous privilege to have a period sutler at your disposal...something we only used to see on VERY rare occasions or not at all back in the late 80s and early 90s.

It was great to get back into the field and see many old friends. It was also great to see my son take to sleeping on the ground, cooking over the fire, and loving history the way I do. I hope we get to do many more together.

I felt honored to represent the men of the original USCC and want to keep perfecting that impression in both functionality and purpose. I am looking forward to opportunities to expand this impression at appropriate events. There is a TON of primary documentation out there in various areas on the original delegates and their contributions to the troops as well as their witness for Christ. I got to tell about some of the things that actually happened at Resaca and it was awesome. We also got to pass out many papers, tracts, New Testaments, books, and song books. For all of those who received them, read them!! What's contained inside is timeless and truth!

I would like to thank Jim Butler of the SCAR and all the troops there for allowing me the pleasure of interacting with them during the weekend.

USCC_Me_Noah.jpg
      Chris Utley
      South Union Mills
      [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
      [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

This was my first time going to Resaca and I have to say that I had a really good time despite a few annoyances that I will mention. But first I would like to thank Jim Butler for all of his efforts organizing the battalion and allowing me to serve as his adjutant. A big thanks to Brian Hicks for helping to get me squared away with being a first time staff officer. Jordan Ricketts, you did an outstanding job with the commissary. Thank you for all your hard work ensuring that everyone had a full belly.

The positives of the event were our scenario which was the charging and taking of Van den Corput's battery and seeing all the hard work that the coordinators and everyone put into making the 70th Indiana come to life. Plus from what I understand, the cool weather that we had was rather unusual for the event. The campaigner collage went well; we had a few people from other groups come to participate. The authentic civilians also did a fantastic job as well. They provided us with some first rate entertainment on Saturday evening plus they stayed to the very end. Well done!

The negatives were the unusually large number of gal soldiers who made no effort to disguise their gender. The total lack of historical battle scenario’s with the exception of the charge of the Hoosiers.
        Lastly, even though I am at risk of upsetting a lot of people I feel that it needs to be said. I was very disappointed that by 9:00 Sunday morning almost two thirds of the battalion had left or was in the process of packing up to go home leaving us with less than 20 men (8 of which were staff and commissary) and ultimately forcing the disbandment of the battalion.

Those of us that are active within the C/P/H are supposed to be setting the example and maintaining the same high standard that we all have when it’s sunny and 75°. This is not the first time that when the weather has gotten bad, droves of people throw in the towel and go home. The unfortunate reality of this is that we lose our credibility and only provide more ammo for those in the mainstream community to bash us with. I understand that everyone, including myself has busy lives outside of the hobby and that others have had to go through similar hardships in the real military so don’t think that I have not taken that into consideration. All I ask is that we all need to remember that it takes more than just a good kit to be a campaigner.
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Responding to Matt Woodburn and his Henry: I was a Reb in the middle of the field either on Saturday or Sunday, I forget which day, when right at the end of the battle I saw a small cluster of Yanks to my right oblique front being very aggressive, a couple with Henry's, blazing away. I got off my one aimed shot at one of you guys after you had run through your thousand bullets and had to reload. It was a joy to see you caught in the open and out of rounds while my Springfield still was loaded and I was behind a pile of red dirt.

To Tyler Underwood, regarding the Sunday bug-outs: It's inevitable and aggravating. From our little piece of Rambo's camp, no one left early as we carpooled 1000 miles each way from Texas, but 4 of our 13 men in Company K sat out the Sunday battle for one reason or another. They might as well have gone home for all the good they did us. And we got to wallow in the red mud like old kids, having a great time getting wet and muddy right before it was time to get in the car and drive 1,000 miles the other way.

Anyway, you guys looked terrific at the Saturday morning parade and the number of Yanks on the field on Saturday was very impressive to me.
          Phil McBride
          Author:
          Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
          Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
          Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
          Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
          Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
          Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Comment

Originally posted by Phil McBride View Post
            Responding to Matt Woodburn and his Henry: I was a Reb in the middle of the field either on Saturday or Sunday, I forget which day, when right at the end of the battle I saw a small cluster of Yanks to my right oblique front being very aggressive, a couple with Henry's, blazing away. I got off my one aimed shot at one of you guys after you had run through your thousand bullets and had to reload. It was a joy to see you caught in the open and out of rounds while my Springfield still was loaded and I was behind a pile of red dirt.
            If it was Sunday, this was probably the mainstream unit I was with, 110th OVI Sharpshooters. I think I shot about 150+ rounds given the amount of CS infantry that were still present compared to US bug-outs.

Sadly I was not able to leave my unit to go the campaigner college, would it be possible to get the manual sent? If folks could put me in touch with the right contact I'd be grateful.

Eric Snowden
            Eric Snowden

Comment

Now having had a few days to catch my breathe and review the adjunct in my head, I offer this humble overview.
              The Federal adjunct at Resaca appeared to have accomplished all its goals successfully until Sun morning. Feedback from specatators, the organizers and reenactors up till Sun morning were very positive.
              Thursday I placed signs and marked the camp.
              Fridays arrival went smoothly with a few hiccups on trucks and trailers up the narrow trail. We even had a 5 minutes rain shower on Fri with a bit of hail. Set up went smoothly and under clear skies. Rations were issued to companies by the commisary, sutler chits were issued to the men and the sutler set-up. Corp badges were issued and sewn on.
              We conducted Company Drill Fri evening and when we arrived at the scheduled, walk-thru with the mainstream, Confederate battery, they pulled a no-show with the crews, while our men waited and stood in the rain. Finally, we agreed to reschedule to a small window we had in our schedule on Saturday.
              Brigade officers call was completed and we retired after our own Officers and Orderly Sgts calls.
              Sat. morning, after revielle, mail call was conducted. We formed for Brigade Parade and proceeded to conduct a company and battalion drills. These went smoothly and the men did well despite being rusty.
              Campaigner college was conducted from 10 am-noon and we had several visitors from other camps. Classes covered civilian topics, military and fieldcraft topics. I enjoyed the Flint and Steel class. Campaigner College Handbooks were issued and sold by the sutler. The first edition of 60 that I had printed are gone. I am taking backorders now. This raised $360 for 'Historic Westville's relocation fund.
              Chris Utley was hand as a member of the Christian Commission and handed out period correct, tracts and religious texts. He came armed with the actual historical research of his impression and how it even connected to Resaca. Great job and thanks helping Joe with his sutlery.
              After a quick dry-run, rehearsal for Van den Corputs charge at noon, we headed back to camp for a rest.
              We then formed up for the 2 pm battle and were the vanguard onto the field to start the main battle. The men of the 70th IN looked great and your step was smooth. The battle was goofy as most mainstream battles seem to be. However, we reacted the fire and gave ground based on the situation. We spent much of the time behind hills trying to get cover between our vollies.
              Finally, the climax of the battle was at hand. The men of the 70th IN would recreate the taking of Van den Corputs battery. "Cheer men of Indiana!" was the cry and forward the men went onto the battery. Since we had rehearsed it, we could do the hand-to-hand safely and make it look more realistic. I believe this was one of the highlights of the event.
              The men earned the hot meal served by the Commissary when we returned. After a rest, passes were issued and we enjoyed the clear, cool evening with a show brought to us by the civilians of SCAR. Hopefully, everyone enjoyed themselves. The rain began in earnest after 3 am and continued on till 3 pm.
              Sun morning we conducted roll call and a messenger informed us that Brigade parade was cancelled. However, the rain wasn't light and we conducted battalion parade instead at our camp. By 10 am, 3/4 of the battalion had made the personal decision to leave the event. I believe that we made a commitment to the organizers to stay until the end of the battle barring a real emergency or lightning. I was disappointed to send a dispatch to Brigade that my battalion was gone. My THANKS to those men on staff and in the SCAR company who stayed until we were no more. This really has become a bad trend in the hobby and I believe it opens a chink in our armor to the mainstream end of the hobby. I know real life has limitations and demands, but we should stick it out thru a bit of rain. We should always try to be an example to others as much as feasable.
              However, we were successful in completing 90% of our objectives for the weekend and you should all be at least proud of that.
              PROS:
              - Charge of the Hoosiers. The taking of Van den Corput's battery
              - Campaigner College
              - Good impressions. I also saw some nice, but documented variations that you don't always see.
              - Good drills.
              - Sat night show.
              - Commisary Dept did a great job! Many thanks to Jordan Jordan Ricketts for his work on feeding the enlisted and staff of the 70th IN.
              - Regimental Sutler was great! Many thanks to Joe Smotherman for hauling his set-up to our hill. I believe this helped men to stay in camp with less need to go down to sutler row. Joe had a great selection of period goods and food. His impression is well -researched and much appreciated.
              - Improved fieldcraft skills. I noticed most men knew how to construct a proper shelter from the rain.
              - The staff did a great job. Tyler Underwood did a fine job as the Adjutant. He had incredible energy on the field and was a huge help from start to finish with even the organizational tasks of the adjunct. Brian Hicks did a fine job as our Sgt Mjr. I never had to worry about the welfare of the men when Brian is there. I also valued him playing the 'hard-ass' Sgt Mjr when one of our companies was late to roll call and their report was not turned in on time. Thanks, I enjoyed that.
              Many thanks to our clerk, Shawn Butler. He cut and issued chits to the men. And was on the spot for any reports and orders I needed written. Thanks to Joe Amos for being our bugler for the weekend! You did a fine job and it is a needed service.
              Thanks to Guy Musgrove and Mike Jones for being our coriurs and scouts for the weekend.
              - The civilians did a fine job and they conducted classes of their own. Thanks to Bev Simpson for coordinating the civilians and the Sat night show. Thanks to Mark and Bev Simpson for bringing your mules and wagon. It always adds so much to the event and guarantees us a water supply. Thank you.
              - Thanks to all the company commanders, Walter Cook, Chad Greene, and Aaron Racine. Who did a fine job with their companies. The men all conducted police guard without any fuss and duties were conducted smoothly. Thanks to Walter for conducting the mail call and Chad for bringing our colors.
              CONS:
              - Most of the battalion bailed due to the Sun morning rains. This leaves a chink in our armor to the mainstream end of the hobby.
              - Most mainstreamers do not understand the term 'scripted scenario' nor its purpose.
              - Commanders who can not follow pre-event instructions as they think they don't need to.
              - Some Civilians need to consider lightening their load and bring less gear. Especially when the weather report looks inclement. However, our philosophy is if you bring it, you haul it, No offense given, this is to help make it easier on you in the long run.
              - Most mainstream battle scenarios are terrible.
              - Interpretive tour was not conducted. No word from Brad Quinlin yet as to why.
              Over all, I believe the adjunct completed with almost all of its goals with great success. The charge on Van den Corputs battery will be one of my 'bucket' list' events in my reenacting history. Thank you all for your support and attendance.

Jim Butler
              SCAR
              Jim Butler

Comment

I was one of those that left early on Sunday - about 4:30 am. At the time my decision was based on the fact that water had gotten under my shelter and I was soaked and that I thought there would not be much of anything going on because of the rain.

In hindsight, I regret the decision because what Jim and Tyler said about us setting the example is correct. I apologize for that and if it left anyone in the lurch.

But, I have noticed over the last couple years, that the campaigner side of the hobby is getting more and more mainstream in its actions. I'm not just referring to leaving events early but the whole aspect.

This was the first time I've drilled in I don't know how long. It was good to do that. Guard is almost never posted anymore - at least not at the events I've been at lately. I know it's no fun when you know there's nobody out there. But, it wasn't fun for the real guys when they were standing there and knew there was nobody out there either. Roll call is seldom done and everyone just staggers out of their rolls in the morning and stands around the fire. NCO's are guys with stripes who aren't really doing NCO stuff. Officers are guys with shoulder boards that aren't doing officer stuff.

We, as a wing of the hobby, have deteriorated a lot I think and we need to revisit what we are about in my opinion.

Anyway, I am making a pledge that I will not bail on an event unless it is an emergency or I know ahead of time that I will need to leave early and can let folks know that upfront.
                Michael Comer
                one of the moderator guys

Comment

I hear you Mike. Lets see if we can't get a little of our fire back at Pilot Knob.
                  Frank Perkin

Comment

I appreciate the kind comments above and hope everyone enjoyed the sutler's tent.

Thanks to Jim Butler and SCAR for having me.

A huge thanks to the Resaca event staff for getting me off that hill. It only took two trips, but I would never have gotten my truck up there. Mine was the last tent down in the camp and that was about 4:00 p.m. Sunday.

Looking forward to the next opportunity to sutler!
                    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Working...
                    X