Pickett's Mill Jacket Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickett's Mill Jacket Run

I’d like to do a limited run of two different jackets: the “Atlanta” Depot jacket and the Columbus Depot jacket. Both are on the regs for PM and for other Authentic/Progressive events this year so fellers could get good use from either. I will donate a portion of each garment purchased to a cause of Herb Coats' choosing (my guess is something to do with the Pickett’s Mill battlefield).

I reckon not everyone out there knows I sew but for background purposes I wanted to mention that I have done a significant amount of independent sewing work for a number of years. Aside from that, I have supplied Justin Morris- the Rambling Irishman, Joe Hofmann- the Jersey Skillet Licker, and Chris Utley- Carter & Jasper (now South Union Mills).

Atlanta Depot jacket-
    Initial run of 4 jackets, with the potential for 1 or 2 more, depending on remaining cloth. Jackets will be produced from County Cloth (Chas. Childs) 1P “Plains” made specifically to replicate the material in surviving jackets we now broadly refer to as “Atlanta” Depot jackets. I purchased the remainder of the bolt of this fabric years ago so when it’s gone, it’s gone. The cloth was priced at $42 per yard even then. This is very unique stuff that does a magnificent job of mirroring the color and weave of material on several of the originals. As such, the cost of materials does influence the pricing of these garments.

I have a limited quantity of old logwood dyed cotton thread from Ben Tart which I will use until the supply is exhausted for top-stitching and buttonholes. Buyer has the option of Federal eagle buttons at a slightly reduced price or two-hole wood dish buttons from Missouri Boot and Shoe.
    $275 with wood dish buttons
    $260 with brass eagle buttons

Columbus Depot jacket-
    Run of up to 3 jackets. Main body from Ben Tart sheeps grey jean wool. Collar and cuff will utilize some extremely rare indigo-dyed wool kersey from Family Heirloom Weavers (I’ve hoarded it for the better part of a decade at least).
    $185

Shipping is not included in costs but I ship via Priority Mail. I require 50% down to begin work as once I cut the cloth I’m locked into that size.

Email at fredrick.a.baker@gmail.com

AC ATL 1.jpgAC ATL 2.jpgAC CD 1.jpgAC CD 2.jpg
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: Pickett's Mill Jacket Run

Guys, Fred does outstanding work, and the proceeds that Fred sets aside for the Paulding County Civil War Group is going to a great home! This group is a caretaker of ACW sites within the county. They help out at Pickett's Mill, as well as maintain the markers and monuments at New Hope Church, and they have assisted/advised with getting the park underway at Dallas.

BTW, I'm signed on for an Atlanta Depot Jacket. Get on board quick.
    Last edited by Coatsy; 02-17-2014, 01:17 PM.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Time to go do my taxes!!!
      Kenny Pavia
      24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

I can only say good things about Fred's expertise with needle and thread. Most of my gun crew has jackets and/or trousers, that were ordered from Fred Baker.
        Gburg Crew.jpg
        MDec.jpg
        Michael Dec
        McClung's Tennessee Battery
        http://armydrawers.echoes.net/

Comment

All,

We're just a couple of weeks away from the event. In an effort to put a few more dollars into the hat for the Paulding County Civil War group and their effort, I'm offering up these three vests. The two military styles are constructed of Chas Childs' jean (both are light/med grey though they are different fabrics- not sure the light shows that completely). The civilian style vest is made of a nice dark green wool. The civie vest and one of the military vests (the light backing version) are size 42/44. The second military vest (choc brown backing) is a 46/48.

Vests are $85 each, with $7 for Priority Shipping.

I hope these can go to good homes and that we can tip a few more resources into the preservation effort.

Hope to see many of you at The Mill!
          PM Vest 1.jpgPM Vest 1a.jpgPM Vest 2.jpgPM Vest 2a.jpgPM Vest 3.jpgPM Vest 3a.jpg
          Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Working...
          X