Pickett's Mill AAR's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickett's Mill AAR's

Amazing site and a great time. Thanks to Herb and all event organizers for a fun event. More reflections later, but fantastic job, boys! I had a BLAST!
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Re: 150th Battle of Pickett's Mill May 30th - June 1st, 2014

I had fun, how about you?
    Lee White
    Researcher and Historian
    "Delenda Est Carthago"
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Pickett's Mill AAR's

Was an absolute amazing introduction to authentic campaigning for my dad and I! I will write up a full post soon but I would like to throw out a big thank you to all the billy goats of Bevard's company for being such great hosts.
      Last edited by Kyle O'Brien; 06-01-2014, 09:33 PM.
      Kyle O'Brien
      Northern California : ACWA

20th Maine Co.G
      4th Virginia Co. A
      3rd US Artillery Co. B (1861)

Comment

I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but this event pi$$ed off the entire cav community. The FUBAR time line of scenarios due to the fact that the entire Federal force was totally lost in the woods, was miles from where they should have been, and were rescued by a squad of CONFEDERATE cavalry sent by the park rangers to find them, and were thusly "too tired" and too late to stay on the event time line caused the ONE scenario that involved the cav to be ELIMINATED. We had guys drive from as far as Gettysburg, PA, Norfolk, VA and Tampa, FL hauling animals and trailers, spending hundreds of dollars in gas only to be told that they "weren't needed" for the ONE SCENARIO that was planned for them because the Federals were "too tired" to do what was historically accurate and had been planned for months. We had 30 guys that spent money, improved impressions and sat on there a$$es in the woods all afternoon waiting for the errant Federals to show up where they were supposed to be - but never were. We didn't participate in anything, other than 5 of us who were sent out to find the Federals.

To intimate that a "few minor things" went off course is glossing over serious errors that impacted the entire event for many of us.

There are lessons that we've learned again and again that were NOT applied to this event:

1) Don't try to march a bunch of mostly old, out-of-shape guys any more than 1/2 a mile to a battle site. This never works out well. Although I was the cav coordinator, I spent most of the morning riding my horse to the event HQ to get medical assistance to participants suffering from heat and exertion. When the event organizers say that you need to be in shape, heed what they say. If you aren't, don't participate in these types of events. Have someone in the unit trained in basic first aid. Have a comm system so that you can send for help, other than a guy on a horse who happened to ride by. When a guy is suffering from the heat, don't lay him out in the middle of the road in the sun!

2) Don't send infantry into deep woods and unknown territory without some mounted scouts to show them the way. Had this been in place, it would have saved the Federals several hills & ravines and not exhausted most of their troops.

3) Hydrate before the vent. Drink water, lots of it. We say this every time, but few heed it.

4) Have a communications system that works. Test it before the event.

5) When you cross a creek on foot, have your infantry remove their socks and shoes. After crossing on 15 foot creek that was no more than a foot deep, the already-late-to-the-the-party Federals had to stop to remove wet shoes and socks. It was amazing to see how many did not have an extra pair of dry socks!

6) Have a back-up plan for the things that will inevitably go wrong.

I could go on and on, but this should suffice.
        Mike Ventura
        Shannon's Scouts

Comment

As a cavalryman I cannot make an after action report because there as no action. Pickett's Mill 2014 was the sorriest excuse for an event I have ever had the misfortune to attend.
          Mark Bridges
          Culleoka, Tennessee

Comment

Greetings:

From a Private's perspective on the Federal side, I had a great time. I will post a complete AAR soon, but for now, I want to thank Captain Jeremy Bevard and Orderly Ivan Ingraham for their leadership in the "Billy Goat" Company. To the other rank & file in our company, it was a pleasure to serve with you. Our spirits were high and we met every challenge presented.

A shout-out to our neighboring company filled with Ohio boys. You guys know who you are. As I said on Sunday, it was like having a little slice of home at the event. It was a blast having you boys there and I hope some of you will consider falling in with our "Ohio Company" at Franklin in November.

Thank you to Herb, Ricky, Jordan, Adam, Robby and all of the other Armory Guards for your time in putting this together.

More to come. Back to the real world for today.
            ERIC TIPTON
            Former AC Owner

Comment

Just curious, but did the cav coordinator bring the lack of duty of any kind up to the Confederate commanders to see if they could dismount and encounter the enemy or screen the retreat of the Confederates, or when they visited with the event hosts to discuss any number of topics? Adjustments were made on every other aspect of the weekend, why not the cav? Mike, I'll go ahead and say this outright- if you're part of the team and brought no solution to the table then shame on you. To sit here and attack, in public your own "team" or the group that asked for your help is pretty damned low. You've participated as an organizer in a number of failed events, Corinth being one of them. To stand an entire division in the sun for a parade right before a battle knowing several of the water wagons had split would be called a turd move of the first degree by many. If you had grievance with the event, you should have adapted with the AG and come up with a solution. In today's society, I'm damn glad there are people brave enough to do any kind of event that has simulated combat, much less on original ground.

Personally, at least for the Independent Rifles, this Pickett's Mill was great. The top of these events was still 2001 for me however. That said, the scenarios were fresh, the distance was not that difficult for the Confederates, water was plenty, food was good with no waste and more importantly I had a good time. Pickett's Mill has always been a challenging event, it's said to be from the start and it is once the boots are on the ground. An early start time to allow the federals to safely move would have been my only suggestion. This year the Johnny's were tasked with building works and recon, which was a much better improvement over 2008 where we sat around until 10 o'clock doing nothing.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

Patrick -

As the cav coordinator, I came to this dance very late - when it was obvious that there were no logistics in place for the cav. The scenarios were already laid out - to accurately reflect the history and historical time line. I was not part of the planning of the scenarios. That was done before my involvement.

The CS cav WAS dismounted, and in the woods where they were supposed to be to encounter the Federals. In fact, they sat on their a$$es in the woods for hours to no avail. You wann talk pi$$ed? I've got 28 troopers that would love to have that conversation!!!!

If we hadn't launched a mission to find the errant Federals, the time line and level of exhaustion of those troops would have been even greater than it was.

You can bitch about Corinth til the cows come home. I'll match ya with Bummers and raise you with Pickett's Mill.

Good luck getting ANY cav to come out and play at future events. As for me, I'm done!
                Mike Ventura
                Shannon's Scouts

Comment

You were on the leadership committee so you should have acted like a leader instead of bitching about not having anything to do. Hicks was faced with the same situation and we went out and did skirmish drill for the crowd that had gathered. Had you brought the lack of action to the attention of any one involved in planning I'm sure you guys could have participated with any of the actions involved. If they want to point fingers, they need to point at their representative on the committee or the previous member that fell out of the hobby and left the gap. Herb never does cav, so that's why he had a coordinator, to HELP. But in general fashion here you are with a bitch rather than a solution at the time. I saw you communicating with Herb or Jordan during the day, maybe you should have brought something up then.

I've got commitment with cav for an event we're working on next year, and my logic is simple- give them a playground, give them the historic timeline and let them alone. I've also known the coordinator since I was a really young kid, so if he needs anything he tells me and I listen because I actually have a lot of respect for him.
                  Patrick Landrum
                  Independent Rifles

Comment

Boys, there is a legitimate need for discussion so that improvements can be made. But, there is potential for some volatility as emotions begin to take hold so let's keep the discussion civil. Remember the Wickett rule: Be Nice.
                    Michael Comer
                    one of the moderator guys

Comment

"It may be said, generally, that a soldier's knowledge of what is going on about him is coterminous with his relation to it and his personal connection with it; what is going on in front of him he does know at all until he learns it afterward."

These are the words of Ambrose Bierce, plagiarized in an article I wrote on the 2004 Pickett's Mill event for the CCG. Obviously none of the 80 plus rifles in the Federal battalion knew we were headed in the wrong direction, nor the reasons for it, until we were turned around 180 degrees in the woods and led down a ridge trail by two gray cavalrymen. By the way, thanks to my good pards Guy Musgrove and Mike Ventura, and to Mike's horse who'd done probably 30 miles that day. We were tired from having had a running battle with a couple reb companies at dawn and marching up and down steep hills in the humidity on our current trek. But I heard zero whining and complaining among the men, because as professional re-enactors we realize all so truly the one constant in this hobby and life.

Shit happens.

You improvise, you overcome, and you adapt. And you soldier on. Sure there was some grumbling, and I asked in good nature what Herb's confidence level was when he led us out of the woods on Sunday. I also matter-of-factly stated to him that his detour allowed the Federal battalion to bypass the steepest ravine in the park on our approach to the Saturday afternoon scenario. This ravine in question spent our battalion greatly as we floundered through it in battle formation in 2004.

I have never pretended to be any sort of self proclaimed expert on organizing events, and I tip my hat to those courageous and selfless enough to do so. You listening Mr. Landrum? So I cannot fathom why an entire company of CSA cavalry did not get into the action. The economic and personal cost notwithstanding, I would simply ask that this be written off as simply one of those things. And the good faith and trust in our fellow re-enactors remain in place. I know to a man we were grateful to Mike and Guy for getting us out of there, as we were for the assistance rendered in removing two of our fallen Saturday morning. By the way, I am convinced one of them was sick due to either a gas station chicken salad sandwich eaten Friday morning, a reaction to some anti-biotics he was taking, or both.

As for the event, my gosh these days you're just happy to see pards and make it out on two feet. The same woods and humidity we experienced in 2004 are still there, as are the steep hills, ravines, and irascible thickets and vines. This time we also were treated with a monsoon which must have dropped two inches of rain on us Saturday night. This is merely par for my course as my last 4-5 events have been hit hard with rain in some fashion. By the way, my Wambaugh and White shelter half is worth it's weight in gold to me.

We had a tight battalion, filled with great pards and commanded by a bully fellow in Joe Blunt. Our 24th Missouri were short rifles, fielding probably 12, so we rolled in with Silas Tackitt and his invincibles to form a solid company led by Cal Kinzer, with Silas as Lieutenant. I hadn't seen Silas since he jumped in the Bullpasture River after McDowell in 2003, so that alone was worth my trip.

We had a nice evening in the woods Friday night catching up with old comrades, getting rations and frying them up posthaste. The next morning, most of us expected a grueling march, followed by the 5th Kentucky battle in the cornfield. The course of action differed as we had a running fight depicting what I THINK was Govan's push against the Federal line. We evacuated our stricken, rested up, then Herb led us off on our march. We'd gone perhaps 1-2 miles, losing a straggler here and there but otherwise keeping tight, when we literally came to the end of the trail shortly after crossing Pickett's Mill creek.

"Corporal are we lost???"

"No private, we are not lost. We are in Georgia, now drink your water."

Our next scenario was later found to be a fight in the wheatfield adjacent to Keys Battery, depicting troops of McClean's 23rd Corps brigade who were to cover Hazen's right flank. The Cornfield fight involving the 5th Kentucky, would come later that day. The aforementioned skirmish with the CSA cav was to occur on the current scenario. As it was, the big bugs decided to march us straight to camp and I THOUGHT the decision was to forego the 3 pm scenario. But we made such good time getting the column reset and turned around back to our camp on Hazen's Hill that we ended up being only 30 minutes late for the scheduled fight. It was a desultory affair, though done in front of spectators, as we advanced into the field then retreated back to a treeline. What WAS evidently omitted was our brush with the CSA cav. Again, apologies to Mike Ventura, Guy Musgrove, and the rest for an opportunity missed.

We returned to camp, and some of us immediately proceed to shelter up. After resting a bit we later formed up and marched off to the cornfield fight. Again, our route took us around the steep ravine which Hazen's men historically endured, a fact which I pointed out to the rest of the company. However, the cornfield ITSELF is divided by a thick belt of trees which hide a steep enough ravine, with a creek that is banked sharply at the bottom. We struggled up the other side, our company in skirmish line, and advanced into the field with the battalion on our heels. A sharp fight ensued, again in front of spectators, and we retired back into the woods, even receiving a counterattack.

As we marched back to our camp, the heavens opened and a strong rain commenced, accompanied by lightning. We made it back just in time to collapse under our shelters and ride it out, if not keeping dry at least trying not to get thoroughly soaked to the bone. Some lads were less enterprising with shelter and sat out in their rubber blankets taking the deluge. After two or three hours of constant rain, thunder and lightning most of them retired to the group shelter for the night. Among those who didn't, I could hear my friend Matt Lakin and his Rat Tail mess singing boisterously while the thunder pealed, and the rain soaked them. My morale soared to be among such strong hearted-pards.

Sunday morning we actually got cook fires going, ours done so by our captain Cal Kinzer, a pioneer in the hobby who had weathered the night under his gum blanket. Seeing Cal as I emerged from my shelter half put fire in my spirit. That morning was the highlight of the event for me personally, visiting and sharing camaraderie, cooking up a hot meal, and enjoying the fresh cool breeze the storm had brought in. We marched again that day, heading over to the sight of the Old Pickett's Mill, encountering the same hills and ravines, yet doing so without the stifling humidity.

We built breastworks and fought a sharp battle with several companies of rebels who assaulted our lines. The boys were pros, and it was a pure joy to see the discipline and professionalism they displayed, struggling up our hill and falling before our lines. Thanks guys.

Herb led us out and to the Group Shelter parking lot, and a feeling of satisfaction and relief came over the column as we emerged out of the trees. We must have been a sight for the spectators, tired, muddy, covered with grime and sweat, but all sporting ear to ear smiles. Later I encountered Herb Coats on the steps of the Group Shelter, and thanked him profusely for his efforts. Organizing these events, for OUR benefit in general and for the betterment of the hobby in particular, is a trying and thankless affair. I'd spoken with good friends like Eric Tipton and Pat Landrum, who'd shared the frustration they'd felt and indemnity they'd encountered, and wondered to myself why they did it. And the answer became obvious. Because someone HAS to for the hobby to exist. So my profound gratitude to Herb and all else who sacrificed and endured to make this happen for us.

I had fun, how about you?
                      Last edited by Strawfoot; 06-02-2014, 11:33 AM.
                      Mike Phineas
                      Arlington, TX
                      24th Missouri Infantry
                      Independent Volunteer Battalion
                      www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

"It may be said, generally, that a soldier's knowledge of what is going on about him is coterminous with his relation to it and his personal connection with it; what is going on in front of him he does know at all until he learns it afterward."

Mike, we were reading this in the car on the way to the event. Thank you for posting it here for some perspective.

Your AAR is outstanding and I agree that throughout the event what I saw on the Federal side was professionalism. It was a fine group of men and yes, between the singing of the Rat Tails, the camaraderie of our boys and the antics of my fellow Ohioans on our left, I am proud to say that I was a member of the 5th Kentucky!
                        ERIC TIPTON
                        Former AC Owner

Comment

Overall I had a good time in that sucks so bad it was good type of way. Third Company ran very well and finished the event as we started, strong willed and together.
                          Perhaps a couple of areas could have went better or been run tighter to make timelines work. The Federals from what I saw on the map we viewed at an officers call were not miles off course but just landed on the wrong side of the creek. It added a bit of marching to our route but it didn't seem to be that much. It was really the time it took for the situation to get corrected that I think really threw the time table off. We had a good amount of us willing and able to bring a fight when we arrived which we did on a small scale. This included a portion which included 3rd company moving down the last part of the trail and onto the field at the double quick. I thought maybe the times could just be moved back to accommodate some rest before proceeding as planned. I will not make any further assumptions on what should have took place or what could have taken place since I am not aware of the details in the original plan nor so I know what restrictions the organizers had to work with. At the very least they had to be very tired themselves as they worked up and down those hills and trails much more then anyone else. Things do happen as they did then and everyone must work together to continue to move forward.
                          I do think we always have room for constructive criticism after events to improve but need to be cautious when emotions are still running high.

Now for an overview from the 3rd Company Federal Battalion.
                          Most of the ONV/CVG company arrived and was setting up camp later Friday evening but still had plenty of day light to get shelter up and fires going. The evening was spent getting used to our surroundings and cooking rations. Just about twilight all 19 men that were coming were in camp. Since we did not have a letter or number we took on the name many of us gave ourselves the last time we were in Georgia to use again, Billy Goats. We were all thankful that the night was dry and pleasant. Spirits were high come morning as we talked about what we swear must have been monkey noises at night.
                          Half the battalion went up the road while the other half built more breastworks in our area waiting for the attack. When it came it was a good quick fight that we all enjoyed. We had a long break to rest before marching out which I think was made longer based on a coupe of casualties.
                          The march out of camp included views of beautiful (but rugged) terrain and a line of blue snaking down the big damn ravine and back up. At the top we rested. At an officer call is when I learned we were a bit off course. We needed to conserve water a bit more and we were going to miss the 3pm scenario. I went back to my NCO's and told them the news but asked they keep it to themselves. Everyone agreed we were in good shape and if we made it at all on time for the scenario we could go in. I let Herb know if we made it in time 3rd company would fight. The men of course knew somthing was up since the order came to conserve water, we had a long break, an officer call and my NCO call took place. If those were not tips then the CS Cav showing up as guides were. Either way it only took us what I think was 40 mins to get to the top of Hazen's Hill. That fight was quick as well but the men had positives to say about. They liked rushing in as reserves and the keeping of distances.
                          After this skirmish we set up shelter again and rested a bit before moving out but light of our packs. This fight made the weekend for me. I had read the accounts but had no idea what the ground actually looked like. Going down into that ravine and back up into the face of the enemy was something. Standing at the tree line I stood up and ordered the company forward. We were met by intense firing from the other side. With in moments it seemed half my men were down. I have no doubts that would have been the case and the survivors would have had to crawl back on their bellies to make it. I was given the order to make another attempt which I never had enough men to do and turned out to be fruitless. We gathered together and moved back to where we started and prepared for a counter attack which did come and we did hold. It was during this fight that I first felt fatigue at the event. I was happy when it was over and we watered up for the march back to our packs. Just before hitting our shelters the sky opened up with rain and thunder which lasted hours. Once it let up some I found battalion headquarters to see what orders or news I might get. I then went back to my camp just in time for more rain and laid down for the night after putting on dry socks. Some how my spare wool socks stayed dry while all else in my pack was wet. Small things can make you smile. I laid down in the shelter wedged between my orderly, two rifles and a corporal soaking wet (minus my socks) to sleep with a pile of gear at my head. I fell asleep after a bit and slept like the dead besides waking up to roll over or try to get a hammer spur out of my ribs.
                          The next morning was spent laughing about the previous day along with some venting type jokes about hardships that took place about the camp over the night. Some tried to dry out, some made coffee, some took in a bit of breakfast and some just enjoyed a smoke. I did a little of it all myself. Feeling good we moved down the road to build more breastworks. I heard several bugle calls from across the valley and decided to start moving the battalion into the positions described earlier by Blunt as the senior captain while he was away. I didn't want us to be suprised. Not long after moving down into the valley he arrived and so did the Rebs. We put up some resistance but quickly fell back to our works and let them come. It felt like we were able to give some of what we received the evening before. Once the fighting died down the scene around me was taken in. Packs dropped around us, wounded soldiers of both sides laying about with some smoke hanging in the air. I think we should have stayed just like that and let the public see the aftermath of the fight instead of us preparing to march out. But it all worked and soon we were on our way back out.
                          In the end I was fortunate to command another damn fine company with amazing NCO's. I am proud of all of you. I appreciated the efforts put into staying in first person which was greatly achieved through much of Friday evening into Saturday afternoon with not to many breaks that I heard myself. A few quiet conversations were had that I know but that was the key as they were quiet between 2-3 men off to the side. The key to your success was still laughing, poking fun and telling jokes but just tweaking enough to remove the "modern". The Georgia monkey impressions of Collicott and Swank should be remembered. For the rest of the event we all floated in and out but I saw the effort was there many times even with the tired look in our eyes while wrapped in wet wool. Thank you and I truly look forward to taking the field with all of you again in the nearest possible future.
                          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                          Civil War Digital Digest
                          Sally Port Mess

Comment

My first "campaigner" event and overall had a good time. Very tough hike over the ravines but we were advised before hand so certainly no room for complaining. (Quickly learned an air-conditioned gym and treadmill are much different than the hills and heat of Georgia)

As for any complaints about the Feds getting lost, the rain, plans no going perfectly, etc... "The event was to experience what the actual soldiers experienced" "Seems pretty damn close to me"

My "two cents" of constructive criticism:

1. Post an emergency contact number and do it several days before the event. Understanding the ban on cellphones to preserve the moment at events but people have family, job, and other situations where they may need to be contacted in case of a real emergency.

Another idea may be to have a "modern break" area away from the main site where people can go to use cellphones or others modern convinces if "absolutely necessary". I'll say it again "absolutely necessary" not a "free zone".

2. Less modern talk and more historical era talk. Understanding this was not an "actors convention" but expected more conversation that would have been normal for 1864. "Again, my first campaigner event so this may be the norm".

Much appreciation to the Johnny Rebs that led us out of the woods, event staff, and park staff.

Pards, if you have not already, please call or Email the Park and thank them. Being allowed to reenact on an actual battle field is rare. A simple thank you will help allow this to continue.

Not to mention the hospitality the park showed including letting many of us "drowned rats" to take shelter Saturday night!

Joe Musgrove
                            Joseph Musgrove

Comment

Joe,

You speak well and your concerns have merit. My personal practice is to forego modern jibba jabba and stick to the military moment, ie. dealing with the merriment and problems of soldiers. Bad first person, the awful attempt to play-act the good first person that very few of us are capable of, can ruin a moment just as fast as Monty Python. It was great to see you again, and I will say you held your own.

The emergency contact number... well I have been good naturedly ribbed in the past for wanting such. But the deal I have with my family is I am free to go out and act like a little kid again, provided they are able to reach me within hours lest my daughter have an emergency. I agree there.

On a different note, I was remiss to mention above my gratitude for the boys manning Key's Battery. I know my old pard Mike Comer was up there. You guys kept us on an even keel, whenever my mind started to wander or the delirium of exhaustion began to creep in, there was Keys Battery... "BOOM!" letting me know they were there, waking me back up and bringing me back to 1864.

Bravo!
                              Last edited by Strawfoot; 06-02-2014, 01:52 PM.
                              Mike Phineas
                              Arlington, TX
                              24th Missouri Infantry
                              Independent Volunteer Battalion
                              www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Working...
                              X