• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennessee on the Brink

What: Tennessee on the Brink

When: April 25 - 27, 2014

Where: Davies' Manor Plantation near Memphis, TN

Who: Host Units: Bitter Brothers Mess and 52nd Tennessee Infantry

POC: John Spain confederate314@yahoo.com , Stacie Shelton stacierosy@aol.com

Preservation: All proceeds to be donated to Davies Manor Plantation.

Plan: This spectator event will revolve around a small town near Memphis in late April – early May of 1861. During this time, Tennessee, spurred by the firing on Fort Sumter and Lincoln’s call for volunteers, would decide the question of secession. Speakers will be shouting pro and anti-secession rhetoric, while a company representing the 154th Tennessee Militia will be present, conducting drill and recruiting. The cabins and other buildings on the site will be transformed into a working town, with a commissary, a tavern/boarding house, a church, and a family dwelling. Period civilians and spectators alike will be able to cast their vote on the secession issue (provided they are male, over 21 years of age). Period participants will be expected to maintain first-person at all times, if possible. To facilitate this, there will be a few “fourth wall” participants, who will interact with spectators and field any questions they may have.
    Last edited by Coatsy; 06-20-2013, 12:16 PM. Reason: Event approved by Mods - Herb Coats
    John Spain
    4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
    "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Re: Secession Rally

Sounds like it could be a fun event.Might I suggest a small "tavern" set-up that not only can sell period non-alcoholic drinks to the public,but also have the canidates "buy drinks all around" for the voters...
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Re: Tennessee on the Brink

I'm gonna try to make it out for this. Long live Ft. Spain!
      Marvin Boyce

Comment

We're hammering out the final details for the militia impression, and it should be pretty interesting. Should be able to post guidelines soon.
        John Spain

sigpic
        "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

I know you mentioned civilians - what kind of impressions are you looking for in that regard? Will civilians be able to occupy the buildings for the whole weekend?
          Betsy Connolly
          Living History Society of Minnesota

Comment

As Civilian coordidintor for this event, the answer is yes. Most are bare, rustic buildings, but you hve the option of "living" there for the weekend. The site is close to the interstate, so don't expect no modern intrusions. But it is a delightful site that Mr. Spain and others are trying to establish for future events. Feel free to PM me for more info. Here is the site's website with pictures.
            Robert Orrand
            N. B. Forrest Camp 215, SCV
            Civilian Adjunct - Mayor of Dover, Purdy, Raymond, Layette, and more to come... and oh yeah Gettysburg
            4thTN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Comment

Thank you Robert.
              John Spain

sigpic

Comment

All:

I have setup the registration system for Tennessee on the Brink. You all can register and use PayPal on below link or Mail in with Address supplied during online registration.

Registration Site is UP and ready. Link is http://www.52ndtennessee.org/event-r...vent_content_1

The event page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/308855319167707/

John Spain is POC for this event John Spain confederate314@yahoo.com

If you have issue registering contact Brent Dacus bdacus@gmail.com
                Last edited by Brent Dacus; 09-18-2013, 10:09 AM.
                Thank You,

Brent Dacus

The AC Admin
                The Company of Military Historians
                Member, Civil War Preservation Trust

Are you reading? I still am...

Comment

This is going to be a great event! Everyone needs to try and get out for this one, going to be a lot of fun!
                  Mackenzie Taylor
                  Dardanelle, Arkansas

Liberty Rifles, WIG

"At every town and station, citizens and ladies were waving their handkerchiefs and hurrahing for Jeff Davis and the Southern Confederacy" -Sam Watkins, 1st TN, Company H

Comment

Sorry I've been quiet on here for awhile. Registration is open. Deadline is April 4th. Thanks for your interest.
                    John Spain

sigpic

Comment

Be ready to work on some Scott's drill boys if you come as militia. If you haven't done it before, so much the better since we are portraying new fellows joining up with the old. It will be a good time and the place is a super place to have an event like this.
                      Michael Comer
                      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Folks, we're a month out from the registration deadline. Don't miss out on a fun time.
                        John Spain

sigpic

Comment

Our next site work day will be April 5th, if anybody would like to come out and hang out, help out, and tour the property.
                          John Spain

sigpic

Comment

For those of you who like to wait til the last minute, I am extending the registration deadline to April 11th, but you need to RSVP ahead of time, so we know how many to feed. Thanks
                            John Spain

sigpic

Comment

Only 3 days left to register.
                              John Spain

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X