On Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Maps

This article is pretty interesting as it pertains to the logistics planning of Sherman's campaigns.

In regards to rations, this map supports how we are approaching this aspect of planning. We will conduct rations issues in a unique way at this event. It is one that hasn't been examined before, I think, and I believe people will enjoy it.

How the general used a surprisingly sophisticated set of data to plan his famous march across Georgia.

Merry Christmas to all!
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Re: On Maps

At the Bummers event the ration issue for our company of Georgia militia was a guy riding into camp about 1am and dumping peanuts out onto the road. I came back in from the picket line and thought it was horse poop at first and stepped around it. That was unique.
    Kevin Barnes

Comment

Kevin,

Bon Appetit!
      Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 12-24-2014, 12:17 PM.
      Ivan Ingraham
      AC Moderator

Comment

Very intereting and something I didn't know. Thank you for sharing!

My foraging part came across some peanuts laying in a dirt road Saturday evening. Having not eating the men swormed around the pile picking them from the dirt. Then we saw the civilians around the corner. Funny to finally hear why there might have been peanuts in the road so many years later.
        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
        Civil War Digital Digest
        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Ok some feedback here... At Shiloh we were well fed on Friday night aboard the ship, and again Saturday night in the sibley camp. However, prior to the march Saturday morning we were each given a mere two hard crackers to last us all day. Many of us arrived with empty haversacks, as per the spirit of the event.

This sparse fare caused some of us problems on the march, and the combination really sapped our strength. For me personally I had driven to the event solo ride with little rest. The lack of food before the march really hit me, and I usually hold up well.

Thanks for listening.
          Mike Phineas
          Arlington, TX
          24th Missouri Infantry
          Independent Volunteer Battalion
          www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Well to get fully in the spirit of this event, you could pick up a chicken or pig from one of the many farms you'll pass on your way in. I would recommend using extreme caution however. The citizenry of eastern NC is much better armed than you will be.
            Last edited by KevinBarnes; 12-26-2014, 04:01 PM.
            Kevin Barnes

Comment

Appreciate the feedback.

You will be well-fed.

Don't listen to Kevin in this case, please.....:D
              Ivan Ingraham
              AC Moderator

Comment

I guess I should have said the modern citizenry. Any interactions with period civilians are a horse of a different color
                Kevin Barnes

Comment

My post was simply meant to help, and in no way was meant as a criticism. In my case, it really was a difference.
                  Mike Phineas
                  Arlington, TX
                  24th Missouri Infantry
                  Independent Volunteer Battalion
                  www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

It does make a difference. Mike is right. I've been there myself. I tend to not eat much at events and have run out of gas a few times.
                    Kevin Barnes

Comment

In the Y2K iteration, one mess had a kid on a leash with them for the march.

They didn't bring it home with them. Well, not on a leash.
                      [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

That was a tasty goat.
                        Scott Sheets
                        Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
                        Dirty Shirts

Comment

Originally posted by styler View Post
                          In the Y2K iteration, one mess had a kid on a leash with them for the march.

They didn't bring it home with them. Well, not on a leash.
                          It happens! We are not putting limits on anyone's creativity so long as private property and resident creatures are respected.

Looking forward to this...and if you want to eat peanuts out of the dirt, have at it. :tounge_sm
                          Ivan Ingraham
                          AC Moderator

Comment

Working...
                          X