X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Week!

We march in one week, boys!

Ready? Me too!

Email sent to Coy Commanders; please check and respond as applicable.

A few more items to round out information and coordinating instructions for your planning will be posted soon.

Thanks for everyone's support.
    Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 03-13-2015, 05:33 AM.
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Re: One Week!

Bring your pioneering tools such as spades, shovels, picks, saws, axes, or other items, as we will be entrenching on site. The three accounts below reflect their collective experiences in building works, both on campaign and on the day of the battle.

“While the front rank stood ready to repel any charge, the rear rank began to build breastworks…During this time, the boys in the line worked with spades and axes like beavers. The rear of the line would work a few minutes just as hard as they could. Then the front line changed places with them. In a little while, they had a splendid set of works built.”—A YANKEE PRIVATE’S CIVIL WAR, Robert Hale Strong 105th Illinois, pp 192-193.

“We quickly threw up some light works…Half the men working and the other half standing to arms.”—SOLDIERING WITH SHERMAN, George F. Cram, 161.

“A few company papers packed in a small box which we are allowed to carry in the regimental wagon; a couple of shovels, pickaxes, and axes were also packed for the purpose of entrenching against the enemy and we began to think ourselves ready.”—Cram, 149.

Please put a small letter on the back of your shovel, axe, etc. for identification so you get your item back. The goal is to issue the entrenching tools out to units by unit from stocks that they brought and this will alleviate an item getting broken by someone or damaged through use and the owner not know what happened to it (we have all seen this occur!)
    Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 03-13-2015, 09:19 AM.
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Comment

Can't wait! Looking forward to seeing and experiencing all the fruits of your and many others' labors, Ivan.

Best,
      [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Where on the site will you be finishing the march? I assume it will be on Saturday morning. I'd like to be there to take some photographs.
        Stephen Williford

Comment

Originally posted by docslw View Post
          Where on the site will you be finishing the march? I assume it will be on Saturday morning. I'd like to be there to take some photographs.
          At the Bentonville Battlefield Visitor's Center, Stephen (or very close, at any rate), and yes, on Saturday morning right about 0900.

You will hear us well before we arrive, I guarantee it!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Mutt! Us too!
          Ivan Ingraham
          AC Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrose Bierce View Post
            You will hear us well before we arrive, I guarantee it!
            Everyone is going to know when the 10th Iowa arrives!
            Tyler Underwood
            Pawleys Island #409 AFM
            Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Some thoughts on preparing for Bentonville:

Training – Its over. Keep your workouts light. You don’t want to miss the event because you pulled something or overdid you workout. Get hydrated and stay that way. Bankroll some sleep.

Health – Don’t let a cold or sniffles keep you away! You’ll regret it!! If you feel like you’re getting a cold, it could be allergies. Stay on top of your symptoms so seasonal sniffles from pollen doesn’t turn in to a sinus infection. If you’re like me and prone to allergies, take your meds! Get fluids and take some vitamin C. Oh yeah… Bankroll some sleep.

Clean your musket.

Packing – Start getting your gear out now and going through it, especially if you’re packing for more than one.
              • Remember any meds you’ll need.
              • Get to the drugstore and buy some moleskin… most of us haven’t hardened our feet like the Old Fellows, so we can be prone to blisters.
              • Contact Wearers: Get any supplies you’ll need to keep your eyes working.
              • FORTY ROUNDS! …and another 40 after that!
              • Blanket, rubber blanket, and extra socks.
              • Clean your musket.
              • Bankroll some sleep.

Did you clean your musket?

Game face – WE ARE THE AUTHENTICS! WE NEED TO SET THE BAR! THE DAYS OF “SHAM-n-GLAM” ARE OVER!
              A lot of people have put in a lot of effort to bring this event and this regiment together. This would not happen without YOU! So, we need YOU to be there… every single one of you… mentally, as well as physically!
              That being said, once you get there, it is not about YOU, but about US. Once you step off for the event, put the event and your pards first.
              • Leave the cell phone in the car. If anyone hears or sees you using it, you’re telling the regiment “I matter more than you”.
              • Do what you’re told. It is the soldier’s right to complain, but do your job. Which brings me to…
              • Shirking is for the well-read reenactor only. What does that mean? It means you should make shirking about first person… shirk like they did… don’t just make it about you being lazy.

Don’t forget your hat! I mean, maybe Dirty Billy will be there and you can buy one, but c’mon… dude… you don’t want to be that guy!

Drive safe!
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Great advice Wick!

I would also like to add that everyone should also make sure to brush up on their knowledge of drill. We are veterans, and as such we need to maneuver like them. You don’t want to be that guy who is entirely out of place because he cannot remember the most basic of evolutions.
                Tyler Underwood
                Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by docslw View Post
                  Stephen,
                  Will you not be with the unit then? Not sure what we have going on...Brett should have some details.

Todd Vajner
                  Todd Vajner
                  Fayetteville, NC

18th North Carolina Troops
                  9th New Jersey "Muskrats"

Comment

96 hours, boys.

Thanks for all of the support.
                    Ivan Ingraham
                    AC Moderator

Comment

Looking forward to the event Ivan! As I finish packing, just wanted to confirm the ration issue will cover us for the whole weekend. Hadn't heard much talk about and just wanted to check that it was still a go.

Thanks!
                      Capt. Austin J. Williams
                      Company A "The Marion Rifles"
                      5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
                      The Stonewall Brigade

Comment

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer lies with your Coy leadership, who have been sent extremely detailed information about how the event will run. This was to be distributed to all participants and if you haven't seen anything on it, ask them why.

Additionally, there are many threads in this event folder, one of them being Coordinating Instructions, that also address this issue.

Thus, there is plenty of information on this forum and elsewhere. If you have further questions, please start with your leadership.
                        Ivan Ingraham
                        AC Moderator

Comment

Austin, speak with the company 1st Sgt in the 10th Iowa company that you registered with to get these details. Commo has been clear for this event and your company leadership will square you away. No need to bother the Battalion commander for coordinating instructions. Thanks! :)
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                          SCAR
                          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Several companies have FB pages up with good info. You can ask to join any of them.
                            Mike Phineas
                            Arlington, TX
                            24th Missouri Infantry
                            Independent Volunteer Battalion
                            www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Working...
                            X