Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd's Folly - The Battle of Carnifex Ferry September 11-13, 2015 Carnifex Ferry, WV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd's Folly - The Battle of Carnifex Ferry September 11-13, 2015 Carnifex Ferry, WV

The weekend of September 11-13, 2015 the 36th Virginia Infantry, Company B will be hosting a full-immersion event based on the Battle of Camp Gauley, more commonly known as the Battle of Carnifex Ferry on the original battlefield just outside of Summersville, West Virginia.

This event will recreate the events of the battle at Carnifex Ferry on the original ground and will be comprised of a combination of both a tactical based on local documented situations preceding the Battle of Carnifex Ferry and a historical portrayal of the Battle of Carnifex Ferry.

Due to the limitations of the size of the park, the event is limited to four hundred (400) infantry supported by a total of six (6) artillery pieces.

More information will be posted as it becomes available

FOR MORE INFORMATION

http://campgauley.webs.com/
    Bradley E. Clay
    The Broadside Mess

Re: Floyd's Folly - The Battle of Carnifex Ferry September 11-13, 2015 Carnifex Ferry, WV

LOC states that this map was printed in 1861 showing the relative locations of the guns, various units, defenses/terrain at the battle. Good reference for the battle. However, having been to Carnifex Ferry on multiple occasions it is definitely NOT to scale.

carnifex ferry.jpg
    Stephen Pavey
    "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

Re: Floyd's Folly - The Battle of Carnifex Ferry September 11-13, 2015 Carnifex Ferry, WV

Guys -

The event Floyd's Folly 2015 will portray the strategic and tactical maneuvers in the area of the Gauley River including three separate engagements covering approximately two weeks of history. Starting with the Battle of Kessler's Cross Lanes and ending with the Battle of Carnifex Ferry. Registration opens on January 1. Some of the things we are currently planning for:

CS Commander: Dave Pridgeon
      US Commander: Scot Buffington

Scenario #1: Kesler's Cross Lanes
      On August 26, Brig. Gen. John Floyd, commanding Confederate forces in the Kanawha Valley, crossed the Gauley River to attack Col. Erastus Tyler’s 7th Ohio Regiment encamped at Kessler’s Cross Lanes. The Union forces were surprised and routed. Floyd then withdrew to the river and took up a defensive position at Carnifex Ferry. We are currently working on getting permission to use the original battlefield. Should this not happen this scenario will be done at the main Carnifex Ferry site.

Scenario #2: Hughes Ferry
      On the morning of September 10, 1861 prior to the beginning of the principal engagement at Carnifex Ferry, Gen. Rosecrans sent elements of the Chicago Dragoons to burn the ferry boats located at Hughes Ferry. Upon encountering Confederate resistance, Rosecrans ordered the 13th Ohio Infantry forward in support and the Confederate forces withdrew. This scenario will be done at the main Carnifex Ferry battlefield site.

Scenario #3: Carnifex Ferry
      Learning of Col. Erastus Tyler’s rout at Kessler’s Cross Lanes, Brig. Gen. William S. Rosecrans moved three brigades south from Clarksburg to support him. On the afternoon of September 10, he advanced against Brig. Gen. John Floyd’s camps at Carnifex Ferry. Darkness halted several hours’ fighting. The strength of the Union artillery convinced Floyd to retreat during the night. Floyd blamed his defeat on his co-commander Brig. Gen. Henry Wise, contributing to further dissension in the Confederate ranks. The third scenario will be our main scenario.

Here are some of the different particulars we are currently planning for:

- CS March from the "Ferry" to Camp Gauley - approximately 3/4-1 mile on the original ferry road. This is extremely rough terrain. Don't let the idea of only one mile fool you!

- US March from Kesler's Cross Lanes to Camp Gauley - approximately 1-2 miles on the original route. Our plan is for the US troop to march this one way and go directly into the fight,

- US Troops will emerge from a Cornfield to heavy fire from the 50th Virginia Infantry directly in their front.

- CS Troops will be behind planned breastworks. Those of the 50th Virginia Infantry are already built as tool for the public. The positions of the 36th and 45th Virginia Infantry will need to build there own (These will basically be thrown together as we can not dig on a public park).

- Rations are definitely a possibility. We are currently figure out what we will need and what it will cost do so. More information will be post shortly.

Main impressions will include:

US - 9th Ohio Infantry, 10th Ohio Infantry, and 12th Ohio Infantry.
      CS - 36th Virginia Infantry, 45th Virginia Infantry, and 50th Virginia Infantry.

Guidelines can be located: http://campgauley.webs.com/

As always feel free to shoot me a PM or call me at 304-640-8887 if you have any questions or comments! Either way 2015 is shaping up to be a great year and I feel Floyd's Folly will be a great event to attend!
      Stephen Pavey
      "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

Happy New Years to all! I am sorry that this thread has been pretty silent. Just wanted to let everyone know that planning for Floyds Folly 2015 is in full swing with just one or two minor details to get settled and then we will be ready to open registration! I expect for these to be completed by February 1st. This weekend will be sending out an indepth overview of the event, what to expect, what will be provided, etc. If you would like to receive one of these please let me know by posting an email address (or private message me the address) and I will get that out to you post haste so you can take it back to your particular units. Until next time, thanks!
        Stephen Pavey
        "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

Hello all! Registration is officially open for Floyd's Folly 2015. CS spots are tentatively FILLED however still plenty of US spots available. If you believe you are with a group that is already allotted spots for CS please contact your unit commander and they can provide you with your registration code. Without this code your registration will unfortunately NOT be accepted. Each code has an allotted number of positions so do NOT give them out freely otherwise you will cause your unit to lose their spaces. Please go to http://campgauley.webs.com/registration for information on where to email/mail the form as well as the email where you can PayPal registration too. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!
          Stephen Pavey
          "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

Originally posted by PaveyWV View Post
            Hello all! Registration is officially open for Floyd's Folly 2015. CS spots are tentatively FILLED however still plenty of US spots available. If you believe you are with a group that is already allotted spots for CS please contact your unit commander and they can provide you with your registration code. Without this code your registration will unfortunately NOT be accepted. Each code has an allotted number of positions so do NOT give them out freely otherwise you will cause your unit to lose their spaces. Please go to http://campgauley.webs.com/registration for information on where to email/mail the form as well as the email where you can PayPal registration too. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!
            Registration is open 2 Days and all the CS spots are filled??? Guess I'll stay at home.
            Russ Dykes
            Keith Stone Guard

6th Mississippi Adjunct 150th Shiloh
            Maryland My Maryland 150th Sharpsburg
            150th Chickamauga Kershaws Brigade
            150th Wilderness and Spotsylvania Courthouse

"Splash" ......Mark Taylor

Comment

RDykes - sent you a message!
              Stephen Pavey
              "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

Exactly,

I'm just finding this and it's already closed? This is an historically significant event for our unit as we stood up the 45th Virginia last year for the Battle of Cloyd's Mountain.
                Bryan Beard
                Virginian

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. CS registration is tentatively closed due to allotments (only 175 CS allowed). Please contact Skip Owens (50th Virginia Infantry) Dick Watters (45th and 36th Virginia Infantry) or Paul Boccadoro (36th Virginia Infantry). They are the point of contacts that I have for the groups putting together the individual "battalions"/companies. If you need further assistance contacting any of the three please let me know! (I hope to get contact information for the three on our website in the next few days).
                  Stephen Pavey
                  "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

Looks like the impression guidelines will leave no room for anything later than 1855 Springfield. I sold my 1842 as I never had occasion to use it. I have an 1861, but understand that's not what you're looking for. No complaints, but asking a question many others may have.

UPDATE: I re-read the guidelines and see that an 1953-Pattern Enfield will be "reluctantly accepted" with some Federal units. If my son comes along with me, I would still be a fire stick short.
                    Last edited by Bill Cross; 03-18-2015, 05:24 PM. Reason: My stupidity
                    Bill Cross
                    The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Bill -

These are simply guidelines. If all you have is an 1861 Springfield then it will be accepted, you will not be turned away! I will update the website to show accordingly.
                      Stephen Pavey
                      "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

I just received a telephone call from a Dessie Dillon of the 36th VA informing me that there IS no reenactment this year for Carnifex Ferry and she is sending back my registration. Anyone know what is going on?

Steve Boley
                        Last edited by Eric Tipton; 08-19-2015, 09:26 PM. Reason: No Signature
                        Steve Boley

Comment

Steve:

I can't speak for the event organizers, but they have been putting out updates the last couple of days and I am attending as well and have not heard this. Is this possibly something within this unit?
                          ERIC TIPTON
                          Former AC Owner

Comment

Steve Boley: Please call me at 304-640-8887. If you sent it to Dessie, then you sent it to the wrong address. Her husband is the host for the mainstream event... Not for Floyd's Folly.

For everyone else: This event IS in good standing and will still be taking place on the advertised weekend, September 11-13.. Our permit with the state has been APPROVED and everything is still in motion. We will see you guys in a few weeks!
                            Last edited by PaveyWV; 08-20-2015, 05:18 PM.
                            Stephen Pavey
                            "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

Working...
                            X