• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Quarters 1865.

Winter Quarters, 1865.

January 30 - February 1, 2015

27th Mississippi Reg't, in temporary winter quarters outside
    Collinsville, Mississippi, in mid-to-late January 1865.
    Hosted by the Yocona Rip Raps (Dustin Herr, Joe Knight, John McMillan, and Dennie Spence plus the Armory Guards).

Winter Quarters 1865 will take place on 60 acres of private farmland near the community of Collinsville, Mississippi, which lies about 15 miles northeast of Meridian.

The 27th Mississippi set up winter quarters in Tupelo in late December 1864 and stayed in them until January 18. Beyond that, research is conflicting: one source states that the regiment took a train from Tupelo to Meridian and stayed around Meridian until January 28, at which time it received a 15-day furlough, while another source describes receiving a furlough in Tupelo and reconvening in Meridian on February 12.

During the month of January, however, this much appears to be the case: The 27th Mississippi originally camped near the railroad in Tupelo, then moved west of west of town until January 19.

The quarters we will construct will reflect the temporary nature of this camp. Amos Jarman, of Co. K, describes such in his diary/memoir:

“The first night that we were at Tupelo, we camped east of the railroad, but next day we moved west of town and went into camp, where it was said we would go into winter quarters and rest and recruit up. But, Company K was tired and determined not to do any more work than absolutely necessary for comfort. So we split a large poplar log and turned the halves up edge-way and stretched out Yankee dog-tents over it and filled up with leaves to make a bed, and just had a camp fire in front.” (Col. Charles W. L. Hall, Plowshares to Bayonets…In the Defense of the Heartland, pp. 147-50)

At the event, we will build quarters, drill, and partake in range estimation drills and target practice. We will endeavor to stay warm. Men with loving families may receive packages from none-too-distant homes. There will be a short (1.7 mile) march in to the event site. Tents, tools, mess equipment, and extra blankets will be delivered by wagon to the site, if you choose to not carry those items in. Rations will be issued; cooking will be done by company, unless otherwise announced.

Herb Coats will represent Captain Pegg, commanding the 27th Mississippi. Company commanders are as follows:

Brian Hicks Co. B, the "Rosin Heels" of Jones County
    Andrew Jerram Co. TBD
    Patrick Landrum Color Company, designation TBD
    Dennie Spence Co. C, the “Fredonia Hards”
    Whit Barr Co. K, the “Enfield Riflemen”

Event Participants is capped at 100 Men, MAX. These were late-war companies who had fought through the Atlanta and Nashville campaigns, with as few as ten men in them. Maximum company size is 20, with the exception of the Color Company, which will supply a color guard.

Event Registration will go live on August 1, 2014. The registration fee is tentatively projected to be in the $25 to $30 range, but this may change before August, contingent upon the projected attendance and expenditures.

Event Guidelines, which will be posted on the Authentic Campaigner forum and the event website (once it is running), will be strictly enforced by the event site hosts. It goes without saying that all garments must feature 1865-correct fabric, cut, and construction techniques.Tobacco, if consumed, must be in 1860s form.

Also, because LIVE FIRE will be a part of this event, bring an unfailingly clean .58 Caliber rifle-musket in complete working order. This includes a FUNCTIONING half-cock. All weapons must be able to pass a full inspection. Each participant must familiarize himself with the steps of Loading in Nine Times as delineated by Hardee’s 1862 (Revised) Manual. Be advised: unsafe behavior may lead to expulsion from the event. Govern yourself accordingly.

Look for registration information and an event website soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Winter Quarters 1865

Confederate Clothing and Equipment Guidelines
    27th Mississippi Volunteer Infantry Regiment
    *With the small company sizes, try to attempt company uniformity per your company commander’s wishes. For example, similar pattern jackets, accoutrements, etc.
    Items in boldface are “preferred.”

Coat or Jacket:
    1. Department of Alabama jacket or other documented Deep South depot jacket of appropriate domestic jeans, satinet, or cassimere.
    2. Civilian sack coat, paletot, or frock coat.
    3. Columbus Depot or Atlanta Depot jacket with wear and tear from hard campaigning.
    4. North Carolina Depot jacket with wear and tear from the Nashville campaign.
    5. Army of Tennessee documented Peter Tait “piped epaulette” jacket.
    6. Single-breasted frock coat.

Weapon:
    1. P1853 Enfield Rifle-Musket.
    2. P1856/1858/1860 Enfield Rifle or CS-manufacture variant thereof.
    3. M1855/M1861/M1863 US Rifle-Musket.
    4. M1854 Austrian Lorenz rifles are acceptable under the guidelines, but only in rifled configuration.
    If you require sub-.58 cal. (nominal) ammunition, please alert the event organizers on your registration form, once registration goes live..

Pants:
    1. Appropriate 1860s military or civilian pattern trousers of appropriate cloth.
    2. Peter Tait trousers.

Hat or Cap:
    1. Properly blocked, lined, and constructed 1860s fur or wool felt hat, black English import hat, or drab colored CS issue hat.
    2. Late war cap of domestic jeans, satinet, or cassimere; painted cloth bill preferred.

Shoes or Boots:
    1. Confederate-issue shoes.
    2. Civilian shoes.
    3. Military or Civilian boots.

Drawers and socks:
    1. 1860s drawers and 1860s socks.
    2. Extra 1860s socks.

Shirt:
    1. Sent-from-home civilian pattern shirt of 1860s-appropriate checks, stripes, solids
    2. CS issue osnaburg shirt.
    3. Wool overshirt.

Canteen:
    1. CS issue Gardner or Nuckolls pattern wooden canteen or tin drum canteen.
    2. Schnitzler & Kirschbaum imported canteen.
    3. Federal issue M1858 smoothside, bullseye, or variant canteen.

Haversack:
    1. CS issue painted or unpainted haversack
    2. Feed sack.
    3. Federal painted cloth, enameled, or vulcanized haversack

Knapsack ot Blanket roll:
    1. Blanket roll, hobo roll, blanket carrier.
    2. CS-variant Mexican War pattern knapsack, CS single bag knapsack, imported English or French knapsack.
    3. US double-bag knapsack

Blanket:
    1. CS issue blanket
    2. Appropriate civilian coverlet, blanket, quilt, carpet, or fur/hide rug.
    3. Extra blanket/quilt/coverlet/rug/carpet.

Accouterments:
    1. Deep South CS manufacture leather or painted cloth accouterments.
    2. English imported accouterments.

Ammunition:
    40 Rounds of properly packaged BLANK ammunition and a sufficient number percussion caps. Minie balls will be issued.

Ground cloth:
    1. CS issue painted or enameled ground cloth.
    2. Federal issue rubberized ground cloth.
    3. Civilian floor cloth or oilcloth.

Tentage:
    1. CS issue or US issue shelter half/halves.
    ***NOTE: 1st Sgt. Roberto Amos Jarman wrote, in his diary, about splitting a big poplar log, using the halves as “sides,” and setting up two Yankee shelter halves over the logs as his shelter in winter quarters in Tupelo in January 1865.***
    2. Military issue fly (mess or company).
    3. A-frame tent (2 or 3 men per each).
    4. Wall tent (company or mess only—NOT individual).

Tools of 1860s-correct pattern:
    1. Axe.
    2. Broad axe.
    3. Hand axe.
    4. Saw; cross-cut or otherwise.
    5. Splitting wedge or maul.

Mess equipment:
    1. Coffee pot.
    2. Mess kettle.
    3. Big skillets.
    4. “Spiders.”
    5. Other appropriate mess equipment.
    Last edited by Silas; 10-09-2014, 09:54 AM. Reason: Added Lorenz to Acceptable Firearms
    Joe Knight

Armory Guards
    Yocona Rip Raps
    "Semper Tyrannis."

Re: Winter Quarters 1865.

I am raising a Company of belligerents and Hell Raisers for this event. I already have 17 men committed to the ranks. Max size for the company is 20 men. These are whom I have so far:

We will be Co. B. The "Rosin Heels" raised in Jones County, Ms.

Patrick Craddock
    Matt Woodburn
    Justin Runyon
    Todd Morris
    Matt Lakin
    Tyler Underwood
    Johnny Lloyd
    C Dean Burchfield
    Joe Blunt
    Eric Martin
    Cameron Stinnett
    Richard Russ Russell
    Shawn Sturgill
    Art Milbert
    Thomas Skip Owens
    Matt Rippetoe
    David Worsham

This company will be filled with men who know one another, and share in common interests and goals. If you are a partner of, and are of a like mind with the men above, please contact me (sooner rather later, as the spots are filling up quickly) and we'll continue to fill roster. Max. Co. size is 20 men, and we already have nine men committed.
    Last edited by BrianHicks; 06-27-2014, 09:33 PM.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Thanks for setting this up, Joe! It promises to be a blast.
      Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
      Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Comment

Brian,
        I have sent a PM your way.
        Shawn Sturgill
        Governor Guards
        SCAR

Comment

Shawn, maybe we can carpool if your interested.
          Tyler Underwood
          Pawleys Island #409 AFM
          Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Underwood View Post
            Shawn, maybe we can carpool if your interested.
            Definitely!
            Shawn Sturgill
            Governor Guards
            SCAR

Comment

Jim Evans is now aboard, with Co. B.
              Last edited by BrianHicks; 06-29-2014, 05:25 PM.
              Brian Hicks
              Widows' Sons Mess

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

A few points of clarification:

- Each company will draw rations. From that point, each company commander may decide how his company will handle meal preparation.

- Live rounds--not just the minie balls--will be issued by the brigade ordnance officer.

- Also, M1854 Austrian Lorenz rifles are acceptable under the guidelines [I could not edit the "Guidelines" post], but only in rifled configuration. If you require sub-.58 cal. (nominal) ammunition, please alert the event organizers on your registration form, once registration goes live.

Joe: I edited the top post and added the Lorenz to the list of acceptable muskets. Let me know if you need any other edits and I'd be glad to help! - John Wickett
                Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 07-02-2014, 06:26 AM. Reason: Adding "Austrian rifle" to acceptable arms.
                Joe Knight

Armory Guards
                Yocona Rip Raps
                "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Skip Owens
                  Robert Rogers (the son)
                  and
                  Robert Rogers (the elder) are also now listed in Co. B.
                  Brian Hicks
                  Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Looks like Mr. Hicks' company is maxed out. That is great news! I know that other companies are getting their manpower together for the event as well. Keep it up gents!

Also, besides the marksmanship contests, there will be other "contests" directed towards the companies as well. 1864 was a tough year, so some morale "improvements" are in the works from the regimental staff.
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

Joe,

I plan to be back in the States for good by the end of the year, so I'll definitely be there for this event. Please pencil me into a company!!! I'll send my registration money asap.
                      D.W.(Trace)Scalf
                      19th Alabama Infantry(Australia)
                      [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.”

"Only the dead have seen the end of War".
                      George Santayana

Comment

Trace, this is the list of companies that are being raised so far. (from the facebook page)

Brian Hicks Co. B, the "Rosin Heels" of Jones County
                        Andrew Jerram Co. TBD
                        Patrick Landrum Color Company, designation TBD
                        Dennie Spence Co. C, the “Fredonia Hards”
                        Whit Barr Co. K, the “Enfield Riflemen”

I think there may be another company raised. So, contact one of these men if interested.
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

Joseph Daniel Ricci is now on board with Co. B.

Herb, Maxed out?!?!? I'm just beginning......
                          Brian Hicks
                          Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Brian, I'm going with what Big Bossman Joe Knight told me.
                            Herb Coats
                            Armory Guards &
                            WIG

Comment

Co. B. The "Rosin Heels" raised in Jones County, Ms.

Roll call as of 5 August:

Brian Hicks
                              Patrick Craddock
                              Matt Woodburn
                              Justin Runyon
                              Todd Morris
                              Matt Lakin
                              Tyler Underwood
                              Johnny Lloyd
                              C Dean Burchfield
                              Joe Blunt
                              Eric Martin
                              Cameron Stinnett
                              Richard Russ Russell
                              Shawn Sturgill
                              Art Milbert
                              Matt Rippetoe
                              David Worsham
                              Thomas Skip Owens
                              Jim Evans
                              Robert Rogers (the son)
                              Robert Rogers (the elder)
                              Joseph Daniel Ricci
                              Bridger Phillip
                              Dan Chmelar
                              Brian Hicks
                              Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X