WIG at Perryville, October 7-9, 2016, 9th Tennessee Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIG at Perryville, October 7-9, 2016, 9th Tennessee Infantry

What: WIG CS Battalion at Perryville (9th Tennessee Infantry)

When: October 7-9, 2016

Where: Perryville Battlefield State Park, Perryville, Ky.

Who: Host Group – Western Independent Grays

Primary Battalion POC: Herb Coats - hcoats007@ gmail.com

Preservation Effort: Extra funds go to the park.

The Plan: The WIG is planning to return to Perryville in 2016 to portray the 9th Tennessee Infantry of Maney’s Brigade. The goal is to field a battalion of CS troops within the overall battle scenario and event activities, and provide a home for those who want a little more to their campaigning experience. Drill, camp, kit, rations, etc will follow the history of the command during the battle.

Military Command: Herb Coats, Western Independent Grays, Commanding

Company Commanders/POCs are as follows

Company A Whit Barr gnh431@mocs.utc.edu

Company B, Michael Comer, Midwest huntdaw@gmail.com

Company C, Paul Jerram, Armory Guards pauljerram@hotmail.com

Company D, Brian Chastain, Breckenridge Grays bgrey@zoomtown.com

Company E Jordan Roberts, Red Clay Volunteers Jamesonboy30@gmail.com

Company F, Sam Gaylon, Trans-Mississippi Hellcats stonewall421@gmail

Company G, Colin Zimmerman, Arsenal Guards Zimm1864@gmail.com

Company H, Liberty Rifles

Company I, Bryant Roberts, Palmetto Guards, bryantroberts816@gmail.com

Company K, Russ Dykes, Keithstone Guards russel.dykes@gmail.com

Company L, Dave Hunter, North State Rifles

Battalion Website: http://bdacus01.wix.com/returntokentucky

Other campaigner groups have been contacted in regards to putting companies together for this effort. We are waiting on word from them.

Look here and the forthcoming WIG event website for more information regarding event items, kit guidelines, and of course historical information.

US types, there are top men working on a Federal battalion that will work in concert with the 9th Tennessee Infantry effort. Keep watching for that announcement.
    Last edited by Coatsy; 03-14-2016, 04:39 PM. Reason: Corrections and such
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Re: WIG at Perryville, October 7-9, 2016, 9th Tennessee Infantry

The gents were organized from Fayette and Haywood (A,B,&L), Tipton (C), Hardeman (D&F), Shelby (E&I), Weakly (G), Obion (H), and Lauderdale (K) counties.

Here's some good reading:

Maney's Confederate Brigade at Perryville

Band of Brothers: The Confederate Ninth Tennessee Infantry (w/ regimental roster)

- - - Updated - - -
    Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
    Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
    ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
    ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
    ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
    ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
    ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the Federal nod Herb! We are looking forward to making this a great joint effort to provide many with a high quality experience on original ground. A few details are being hammered out now on the Federal side and I hope an announcement can be made. Those in the 24th Michigan at Gettysburg and some Facebook groups have received the preliminary info.

The hobby does exist past this year!!!!

Now back the the CS side of things.
      Last edited by Jeremy Bevard; 04-08-2015, 05:27 PM.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Might there be a place for a horse drawn cannon in these plans? Starr's Battery is interested and should be mounted by then.
        David H. Thomas
        Starr's NC Battery
        Fayetteville, NC

Comment

David, I agree. I sent you the park's contact info via the book faces.
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

Perryville is starting to look promising.
            Andrew Grim
            The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
            x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
            Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
            Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

There is plenty of time to get travel arrangements set up Grim. Right now, I'm reading accounts, along with others, to get this command squared away for participants. Many thanks already to Sam Gaylon, Dustin Herr, Bob Flemming, Michael Clarke, Jon Harris, and Joe Knight for quality sources and web links. Believe me, I'll go through them all.
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Here's an article from the Confederate Veteran about the 9th's (along with the 1st, 6th, and 27th TN) actions at Perryville: Field's-Maney's Brigade by McFarland & two other first hand accounts: Maney's Brigade at Perryville.
                Last edited by Jon The Beloved; 04-10-2015, 03:24 PM.
                Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
                Ora pro nobis!

~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
                ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
                ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Added a few more folks raising who have agreed to put companies together. For those who have contacted me/been contacted that need to wait for a firm commitment to our CS effort, don't worry! The 6th Tennessee Infantry was next to the 9th Tennessee Infantry at the battle. You'll have a place!
                  Herb Coats
                  Armory Guards &
                  WIG

Comment

Company designations are getting squared away. Keep researching lads!
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

I know y'all are portraying the right wing with Maney's Brigade, but I have some first hand accounts from the right wing if interested, and I can find them, as most of my stuff is packed away for a move next month.
                      They were in Adam's and Wood's Brigades.

Also, I have a cousin that lives on the edge of the battlefield, so I may ride up to be a spectator.

Virgil Roberts
                      Virgil Roberts

Comment

Of course the push will most certainly be for the majority of us to be wearing frocks, however, if any are going w/o a frock here's an option: The four button, four piece body, one piece sleeve, warped jeans jacket of Pvt. George McDill of the 9th TN Infantry, Company C.. He was wounded at Perryville wearing this jacket. In my opinion, it optimizes the privately procured jacket - utilitarian and patriotic in style - a long cut jacket of the unassumed civilian soldier.

McDill, George Jkt.jpg
                        (image from C. Childs)
                        An account: The McDills of Portersville
                        Last edited by Jon The Beloved; 04-30-2015, 09:41 PM.
                        Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
                        Ora pro nobis!

sigpic

Comment

Jon, stop stealing my thunder.

But, in all seriousness, the McDill jacket is great, a "from home" type of garment.
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

Herb,

I'm sure you have plenty of thunder left in you! I'm just being the helpful Mr. Harris. Haha.
                            Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
                            Ora pro nobis!

sigpic

Comment

Update, well sort of..... I finally finished "Maney’s Confederate Brigade at the Battle of Perryville. By Stuart W. Sanders". It was concise, full of very good 9th Tennessee first hand accounts, and thankfully not over done. Most of us are familiar with the 1st Tennessee's actions thanks to Watkins, but Sanders' book, shows that the 9th was actually engaged before the 1st came up from reserve, and was making attacks, organized, and un-organized along with the 1st Tennessee until the very end of Cheatham's attack. We've got a rock solid unit to portray, and we'll be in the thick on the battle scenarios.

We are also working on some post battle scenarios as well. There is a wealth of first hand information regards the activities of the unit that evening.

Next up, Kit Guidelines! Think frock coats, commutation jackets, some civilian clothing, kepis, slouch hats, trousers with stripes, etc. I know, you've all been patiently waiting for Gear Time....
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

Working...
                              X