X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Port Republic/Cross Keys: June 10-12 2016

Posted for Joshua Drega and Patrick Parker- event organizers

Who: Company E, F, and G 52nd Va Inf.
    What: Battle of Cross Keys (left flank action), 5 mile fundraiser march to Port Republic and Battle of Port Republic (lewis House action)
    Where: This will take place on the original Battleground in Cross Keys, Va and on the Original ground in Port Port Republic, Va. The March will follow the closest original route available.
    When: June 10-12 2016
    Why: This unit action has not been portrayed before and has not been accurately portrayed nor fielded since 1865. This is event to not only raise awareness of the Battlefields at Cross Keys/Port Republic but to raise money for the Battlefield through a 5 mile march.
    Scenarios:
    Day one (Cross Keys): 52nd Va Moves up to defensive position to support Ewells Artillery. Col Skinner calls for his men to move onto the Left flank towards the end of the fighting. They moved down what is now Artillery road and move through the woods to defend the left flank so that the rest of the army can move towards Port Republic to support Jackson. They are actively engaged by Artillery fire then move out to defend against 4 "distinct" union charges before driving the enemy off and retreating to Port Republic.
    Day two: TBA - details coming soon

Uniform standards: All must be appropriate cut cloth and quality... Grey frock or commutation jackets / Staunton Depot jackets. Grey pants with black stripe or civilian trousers. Butternut or grey forage cap, civilian slouch, or captured/ militia Hardee. US equipment with some CS such as roller or militia clip corner buckle or civilian equivalent. More details forthcoming.

Facebook (closed group): https://www.facebook.com/groups/1470308119941656/
    POCs Patrick Parker: https://www.facebook.com/patrick.parker.737?fref=ts
    Joshua Drega: https://www.facebook.com/joshua.drega?fref=ts

Email contact information for POCs forthcoming
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: Port Republic/Cross Keys: June 10-12 2016

This has been moved to adjunct. Part of a larger effort- FYI. More info to come.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny - I believe this should be moved to the 2016 Adjunct forum. It is currently in the 2017 adjunct forum.
      Stephen Pavey
      "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

We moved it. Thanks for the heads up Stephen.
        ERIC TIPTON
        Former AC Owner

Comment

Thanks... Confused with another event. I am a crackhead and loopy on cough meds... so sick now. :)
          Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 10-08-2015, 11:17 AM.
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Authenticity is KEY!
            If we wanna give these men the respect they deserve here is a few things that I believe will make the unit looks its best on and off the field.

Who would want to be apart the first fielding of the 52nd Virginia Infantry Since the surrender in 1865?

Here is some goals of the unit:

March-
            Start walking now if you haven't done a march before. These men were veterans of the Valley Campaigns. They had marched more than 400 miles in a few short months. Formations should be tight on the march, no stragglers. Why not look our best when we march into Port Republic?
            Even though its 5 miles, trust me, I have seen guys at "campaign" events fall out in the first mile because they didn't prepare. Although the march is not mandatory, it is highly encouraged as a maximum effort

Camps-
            Who else would like to see a camp with no farb, no A tents, or even just a bunch of blankets thrown on the ground in streets for each company? I know I would!
            Each man should be responsible for his own tent or lack there of. Since there is little documentation on what the 52nds camp looked like but they were using groundcloths as tents and lacking sufficient cover while on campaign. Why not have a camp that is perfectly 100% period correct!

Kit/Drill-
            Each man should have the proper equipment. Bare in mind that it is encouraged that what you take to the event is what you can quickly gather up and march out with. If you read the accounts of Jacksons troops, you will find they carried very little but always have alot of ammunition and food. A blanket roll would be encouraged for this event with a few knapsacks.
            Drill is going to be Gilhams tactics of 1860. Read up on the manual. Your kit should reflect the manual. Cartridge box on your belt, only 100 known cartridge box slings were issued to the 52nd as a whole and only known 100 rifle slings. If we cant be uniform in clothing, at least look uniform in kit and manual of arms
            If you wanna use those silly Gilhams utensil pouches, here is your chance! I honestly love mine.

Lets do our best for Jackson's Grey Jackets!!! (52nds nickname)
            LTC Drega
            Joshua Drega

Descendant of:
            Pvt. John R. Argenbright Co. A 52nd Va Inf.
            Pvt. William Bosserman Co. B 52nd Va Inf.
            Pvt. George F. Elick Co. L 5th Va Inf/Whites Btn Partisan Rangers
            Pvt. Alexander Looney Co. K 22nd Va Inf
            Pvt. John A Egleton Co. F 42nd Va Inf

Comment

Is this a Southern Division Event? I am a member of 26NCT part of The Carolina Legion. If so I would like to attend did it before and it was great.
              Pvt. Michael Godwin
              CoG 26NCT

Comment

I hate to ask this because I don't want to sound like a boo bird. In previous versions of this event there was shuttling by vehicle as part of the march. Is that going to happen this time, or will participants be able to march the whole route on their own two feet? I'm asking specifically because I'm trying to see if there is any room for cavalry at this event.

Take care,
                Tom Craig
                1st Maine Cavalry
                Tom Craig

Comment

We are supposed to be marching from cross keys to port republic, the whole 7 miles. which isnt to bad at all. This is a Southern Division Event. I would love see the whole 100 men of the 52nd march together the whole 7 miles, but I am sure we will have to have some go by car. Trying to get a wagon to follow us also. Found requisition forms for feed for animals pulling the regimental baggage wagons for 61 to 63.
                  Joshua Drega

Descendant of:
                  Pvt. John R. Argenbright Co. A 52nd Va Inf.
                  Pvt. William Bosserman Co. B 52nd Va Inf.
                  Pvt. George F. Elick Co. L 5th Va Inf/Whites Btn Partisan Rangers
                  Pvt. Alexander Looney Co. K 22nd Va Inf
                  Pvt. John A Egleton Co. F 42nd Va Inf

Comment

Port Republic broadside rev 2.jpg

FOR INFO: Sgt Maj Stephen Pavey, Stephen.Pavey@yahoo.com - 304-640-8887

JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP:
                    “52nd Virginia Inf Forming Battalion Thunder in the Valley 2016” https://www.facebook.com/groups/1470308119941656/

AUTHENTIC IMPRESSIONS ONLY- standards to be enforced
                    Preservation Road March/Battle Scenarios/Civilian interaction/Period Military Encampment with rations

Ask about civilian participation, if interested
                    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 01-07-2016, 03:08 PM.
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

WTB rounds for Cross Keys

Gents, I will be flying from Nebraska to DC, then driving overland to Cross Keys on June 9.
                      That means I very much doubt I can bring my own rounds and percussion caps on the jet.
                      If I pay ahead, can someone bring 6 correctly constructed arsenal packs to the event site for me to pick up???
                      I really appreciate it. paul.hadley@bryanhealth.org
                      Cheers from a relative of Bucktail Henry J. Hadley, (below) casualty of Cross Keys 1862.

Henry J Hadley.jpg
                      Paul Hadley

Comment

Re: WTB rounds for Cross Keys

Bump to see if anyone planning to be at Cross Keys/Port Republic march will have rounds available. I will pay in advance and pick up at the event. Thanks.
                        Paul Hadley

Comment

Working...
                        X