Guard and Picket in the 21st Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard and Picket in the 21st Wisconsin

In the lead up to the event, which is just a few short months away, Ivan Ingraham has asked me to publicly share some research related to guard and picket and the 21st Wisconsin. This account was given by Evan Davis at a regimental reunion, probably about 1910. Davis' original written manuscript is in the collection of the University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh.

In conclusion allow me to say a few words in regard to what I saw at Jefferson Pike at the Battle of Stone River--our brigade was from the main army at the commencement of that great battle. during the night of the 29th of Dec [the brigade] was sent across lots and over fences to Jefferson Pike, where we arrived sometime during the night and camping near a bridge that crossed stone river. we learned that we were sent there to guard some trains that belonged to our command. Early in the morning of [the] 30th, company C of our regiment under cover and was ordered out to go on picket under command of captain godfrey. I remember, marching out camp that morning while some of the regiment were getting ready their breakfast, but a great many were still sleeping--after going some distance from camp we met the train coming down the Pike and in a little while heard shooting and saw confusion among the wagons--we discovered that the train had been attacked by the rebel[s]. we hastened forward and filed into the field to the left of –formed in line facing the pike, and when the rebels came in front of us we fired into them and dropped several of them, the rest hastily retreated and we followed them. and we held them in check until the regiment came up to our assistance. Col. Fitch in his book speaks about the pickets as he saw them about 1/2 a mile from camp meeting the rebel cannon and train, but does not mention who the pickets were. And I am here tonight making the statement from personal knowledge that this picket none other than co. c of the 21st regiment. The rebels took many of our wagons and burned them and drove off the mules, took prisoners many of our convalescant comrades that were riding in the wagons. And I honestly believe if it hadn’t been for the prompt action and daring attack of co. c in checking the charge of that cavalry that they would have captured the whole wagon train and promptly charged into the sleeping camp of the 21st. Capt Godfrey was not an Angel wearing the Blue uniform-nor was he at all times very choice in his speech, but nevertheless was a good soldier, never displayed the white feather in front of the enemy.
    The captain of Company C is Alphonso S. Godfrey. He was the original captain of Company C, and resigned effective February 20, 1863 due to disability.

Evan Davis enlisted in the regiment at its formation, and served through the end of the war.

For those curious as to what “Col. Fitch” said in his book, check out pages 90 to 102 of Michael H. Fitch's Echoes of the Civil War As I Hear Them, which can be found here: https://books.google.com/books?id=BJ...page&q&f=false

More historical posts to follow as the event gets closer!

-Andy Ackeret
    Mess No. 3 / Old Northwest Volunteers
    Last edited by Andy Ackeret; 01-17-2016, 04:31 PM.
    Andy Ackeret
    A/C Staff
    Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Re: Guard and Picket in the 21st Wisconsin

Account Number 2 of Guard and Picket, by Mead Holmes, Jr.:

Feb. 19th.[1863]--Just off picket again. You see we get no rest. It rained hard all day yesterday, and at night we had to change our post, so the shelter we had constructed was of no use. I lay beside a log, on some bushes, covered with my rubber blanket. I thanked the Lord for life and health, but not for their continuance on my account. Dear mother, I have no complaints to make, yet such toils and lack of rest tend to make life a burden. Twice foraging, within eleven days, we were hard at work twenty hours, from four A.M. till twelve P.M.[sic] wading through mud from three to eighteen inches deep, but I need not tell you. This morning I was ordered to headquarters, 14th Army Corps, as clerk of court martial. This will be a change at least.
    A Soldier of the Cumberland: Memoir of Mead Holmes, Jr., by His Father, American Tract Society: Boston, 1864. pgs 152-153.

This book is quite interesting, as it is a collection of letters, published during the war by a grieving father.

Mead Holmes, Jr. enlisted with the regiment at its formation. He was promoted to Corporal, then later Sergeant. He died of disease in Murfreesboro, April 12, 1863.

The entire book is available online, HERE.

-Andy Ackeret
    Last edited by Andy Ackeret; 01-24-2016, 12:59 PM.
    Andy Ackeret
    A/C Staff

Comment

For this week's offering, we shall again return to the writings of Mead Holmes, Jr.:

Feb 1, 1863

Last night I had a novel bed. My watch was off at 8 P.M. and on at 12 midnight. It rained a little, but nothing to hurt; so, with no fire, and with gun at my side, I lay down on a cannon-wheel, with the hub for my pillow. I got fixed tip-top, and slept on and on, till corporal sung out 'Fall in, 3d relief!' I awoke rested. A wheel looks indeed like a poor bed, but that time it was good.
      A Soldier of the Cumberland: Memoir of Mead Holmes, Jr., by His Father, American Tract Society, Boston, 1864, pg 143.

-Andy Ackeret
      Mess No. 3 / ONV
      Andy Ackeret
      A/C Staff

Comment

This week's entry comes from a letter written by James Pillar of Company B. Pillar's papers are in the collection of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Library.

Aug 1 '63

We have plenty to eat at present when we were on picket out post lay close by a house which contains several of the fair sex and a molley [motley?] group of flaxin headed Children they came down to us for some hard tack. So I asked where theire [sic] Father was they said he was in the army they did not know which I asked what kind of clothes he wore when he was last home they said he wore a grey coat & brown pants say I he must be a reb yes says she We used to send him buiscuit [sic] now we have a guard at the house to keep the boys from getting a few pottos [potatoes?] & corn so you see he is in the army & we have in great measure to support his family you asked me if many of the rebs had come in through our lines there has been a great many & I have good reasons to beleave [sic] there would have been a great many more if we could have had good weather so to have follow them close
        James Pillar enlisted as a private with the regiment at its formation. He was killed at the battle of Chickamauga, September 20, 1863.

-Andy Ackeret
        Andy Ackeret
        A/C Staff

Comment

Great stuff, Andy.

Here are a few other accounts from Diary of a Dutch Mudsill, David Gould and James B. Kennedy, Ed. Kent State University Press, Kent, OH. 2004.

John Henry Otto served the entirety of the war in the 21st Wisconsin and his memoir is really poignant regarding soldiering in the American Civil War.

"We were within five miles of the revel picket line and as the immediate front of a picket lines is always patrouilled by scout and Cavallery we had to expect to be discovered and attacked. We at once set to work and constructed a heavy breastwork across the pike at the Pinot of the fork so as to control both roads...The pickets were full 1/4 of a mile in advance. pp. 114

The poor spelling and grammar are his!

He also mentions "At the same time we received new tents. The official name was: 'Shelter Tent' by the boys soon discovered a more appropriate name and simple called it 'dog tent.' In fact it resembled a do Kennel more than any other thing...On the March or Campaign in fair weather the boys never put them up but used them as a covering instead. If the prospect was fair, or we're sure we would stay while in the same place things were arraigned different. pp. 119.

Finally, while not attributed to the 21st Wisconsin, the following account is from Echoes of Battle: The Struggle for Chattanooga, Richard Baumgartner and Larry Strayer. Blue Acorn Press, Huntington, WV. 2004.

"During the weeks preceding the summer campaigning in Middle Tennessee, both Union and Confederate pickets and cavalry patrols eagerly sought information about the enemy's disposition and movements. More often than not, this duty proved uneventful and boring. False alarms were frequent, as related by 1st Lieut. Chesley A. Most an of Company D, 59th Illinois: 'Last night [June 4] our cavalry was ordered to halt, but didn't. The picket fired away and yells "Now, God damn you, can't you halt?" They did'" pp. 5.

Hope people are enjoying these accounts. Get ready for the event, boys. We are just three months away and lots more information will follow as we get closer.
          Last edited by Ambrose Bierce; 02-09-2016, 10:44 AM.
          Ivan Ingraham
          AC Moderator

Comment

For this entry in our series, another account from James Pillar. Pillar's papers are in the collection of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Library.

Dec 12 1862

I am now out on picket guard with the rest of the company yesterday I was going to write but the reg received orders to go on picket and so we had to get ready and I thought I had better write to day for fear we might march and I have nothing but a lead pencil we started from mitchellville on last sunday

. . .

the next day we started early the ground we went on a little ways when we halted to let Gen Starkweather pass we presented arms he returned the salute and asked us how we were and how we liked this Wis weather

. . .

I [and] others went on guard that night we had to lay down by the fire and it was cold but the worst of it was we had to go on picket with the Co we go on with some force the rebles [sic] are close by but there is no such good luck as there [sic] attacking . . . the pickets pass . . . site of each other that is [illegible] of our army thinks there [illegible] be a battle some dont [sic]
            James Pillar enlisted as a private with the regiment at its formation. He was killed at the battle of Chickamauga, September 20, 1863.

Gen Starkweather is Colonel John C. Starkweather, commander of the 21st Wisconsin's brigade from September 1862 until January 1864. He was the commander of the 1st Wisconsin Infantry (also in the brigade), and was promoted to Brigadier General July 17, 1863.
            Last edited by Andy Ackeret; 02-14-2016, 05:59 PM.
            Andy Ackeret
            A/C Staff

Comment

Here is another account from the letters of James Pillar of Company B. Pillar's papers are in the collection of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

April 30 [18]63

I have just returned from a 11 days scout & found your letter here waiting for me & I thought I would sit down & answer it for fear you would be in trouble about me We started on the 19 & went a little this side of Woodbery[sic] some 13 miles I was on guard at Gen Starkweathers head Quarters & the gen told me that we would have a hard days work I walked my beat four hours & not much rested when it come morning we started at four oclock with out coffee made and brakefast[sic] eat so we was up at three We did have a hard march that day

. . .

That night it rained & made our beds wet with our dog tents these you understand we cary[sic] with us that morning the Colonel told us to fold them up & put them in the teams he is a Father to us all
              . . .

the next night we went on picket we expected a fight that night after I had got my supper the lieutenant come to me & called me by name & told me to get my gun now says he I have chosen you because it is a very responsible post you will have to stand on posibly[sic] all night we did not sleep this was hard I most stop for the preasent[sic]

Gen Starkweather is Colonel John C. Starkweather, commander of the 21st Wisconsin's brigade from September 1862 until January 1864. He was the commander of the 1st Wisconsin Infantry (also in the brigade), and was promoted to Brigadier General July 17, 1863.

“The Colonel” referred to on April 30 would have been Lt. Col. Harrison C. Hobart. The original Colonel of the 21st Wisconsin, Benjamin Sweet, was wounded at Perryville and never returned to service with the regiment, although was still commissioned as its Colonel until September 8, 1863. Hobart previously served as a Captain in the 4th Wisconsin Infantry, and was promoted to Lt. Col. of the 21st Wisconsin at its formation. Hobart's transfer to the regiment was delayed, so he was not present at the battle of Perryville. He assumed field command when he joined the regiment. He would be captured at Chickamuaga, and imprisoned at Libby Prison. Escaping through the famous tunnel at Libby, Hobart would re-join the regiment before the Atlanta campaign, eventually rising to brigade command.

“The lieutenant” of Company B on April 30 would have been 1st Lt. Hiram Russell or 2nd Lt. James E. Stuart, per the regiment's roster.
              Andy Ackeret
              A/C Staff

Comment

We will once again return to the writings of James Pillar for this week's update. While many of the examples of picket presented in this thread have been mundane, here is an example of when events become more heated. James Pillar's papers are in the collection of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee library.

May 25 [18]63

“We come of[f] picket early Thursday morning we had just got our coffee made & some bacon fried when the enemy opened two battrys[sic] which they had been masking all night on one of our battrys a cross fire that was on picket which drove them away in hot hast[e?] that they had two[sic] leave there[sic] pieces then it was the cannons roar our guns on the hill behind opened on those masked battrys then opened new ones behind of the rebs & the shells flew in amongst us [O]ld Stark (Gen. Starkweather) ordered us to lay down very soon our brigade was ordered to support the battrys on the hill as we were marching up shells both sides of us threw dirt in our face they soon stopped we lay there all day in the afternoon had a hard fight with Bricenridge [Breckenridge] & repulsed them you know it was awfull fireing[sic] we moved more to the front & it rained all night”
                In Memoirs of a Dutch Mudsill, John Otto describes a similar engagement, mentioning masked batteries, but does not give a date. Details in the accounts differ, but this can be ascribed to the fact that Pillar wrote during the war, and Otto re-editted his wartime writings into a manuscript about 1890. Pillar and Otto were also in different companies, which could also lead to different conclusions when recalling an event.

Otto writes,
                “This little engagement is one of the many not mentioned in history . . .”
                Memoirs of a Dutch Mudsill pg. 139

Consulting an online calendar for 1863, based on the date of Pillar's letter, May 25, 1863, the "Thursday" described would have been May 21, 1863.

Last edited by Andy Ackeret; 02-28-2016, 12:07 PM.
                Andy Ackeret
                A/C Staff

Comment

This week, we will have one final account from James Pillar of Company B. Pillar's papers are in the collection of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Library.

July 24th [18]63

I have a few minutes so I will write of some more of my diary . . . 6th stay in camp all day wash & mend my socks on half rations a party sent out foraging we get half a sheep 7th on picket about noon orders to march go about two miles & on again rain all night no rations divide with two off picket good water got a little over two crackers apiece rain before dawn . . . 11th on picket very warm picket in thick wood very dark night 12th come off picket wash & had to put them on with out drying for it rained hard 14th up early march the other side of Chowen [?] Station. very warm & fast marching 15th on picket fetched in 4 ladies 16th off picket 17th out foraging for some wheat got some honey . . . 21st on picket brigade guard commence 22ed[sic] off picket inspection . . . 23th[sic] on guard write home Cap Pain started for Wis 26th off guard Sunday no church

“Cap Pain” is Captain Charles N. Paine, of Company B. He was the first captain of the company, joining the regiment at its formation. He resigned due to disability, effective December 2, 1863.
                  Andy Ackeret
                  A/C Staff

Comment

Our latest account will give us the point of view not of a sentinel on the line of pickets, but of a higher ranking officer. Michael H. Fitch started the war in the 6th Wisconsin Infantry as 1st Sergeant of Company B, then Sergeant Major, and finally as 1st Lieutenant of Company D. Fitch was appointed Adjutant of the 21st Wisconsin Infantry when the regiment was formed in 1862. In early 1863, he was promoted to Major, back dated to December 19, 1862. This promotion angered many of the captains in the regiment, who felt a subordinate officer was promoted over themselves, despite Fitch having had a year of service in the 6th Wisconsin. The angered captains had only served with the 21st, and for less than 6 months.

On May 30, 1863, Major Fitch received the following order:

Headquarters, 14th Army Corps
                    May 30, 1863

General Order No 17.

Extract.
                    In pursuance of General Order No. 99, May 3, 1863, from Department Headquarters, the following named officers having been approved by the Department Commander, are hereby appointed Division and Brigade Inspectors for first, second, third and fifth divisions.

First Division, Major M.H. Fitch, 21st Wis. Vols. Division Inspector.

By command of Major General Thomas.

George E. Flynt,
                    A.A.G. And Chief of Staff.
                    Fitch, Echoes of the Civil War as I Hear Them, pg 120

The Major commented on this:

The Corps of inspectors consisted of a chief at the headquarters of the army, an assistant inspector general of each corps, and an inspector of each division and brigade. Daily reports were made by the brigade inspector through the division inspector of the condition of the camps and men; condemnation of worn-out and useless ordnance and property of all kinds was a function of this office. A very important duty was to see that the pickets were properly placed, and a competent line maintained around the army. This brought me every day on the picket line of the division.
                    Fitch, Echoes of the Civil War as I Hear Them, pg 120

He continues,

The division was composed of three brigades, two of then volunteer and one regular. . . . Almost every week, the division drilled. All the officers and men kept well dressed, and were inspected every Sunday morning. The camps were regularly laid out and kept scrupulously clean. The sanitary conditions were closely looked after. Fine hospitals were established.
                    Fitch, Echoes of the Civil War as I Hear Them, pg 121

On the duties of an inspector:

On June 15th, I wrote, 'How busy I am every hour, and have been since coming on staff duty. It is now nine at night, and oh ! how tired I am ! Been out in the hot sun all the afternoon on division drill, after writing and inspecting all the forenoon. I inspect a picket line a mile long every morning before breakfast, but that is only a nice ride.
                    Fitch, Echoes of the Civil War as I Hear Them, pg 123

Major Fitch would leave his appointment as division inspector after the battle of Chickamauga, when he was required to assume command of the 21st Wisconsin, due to Lt. Col. Hobart having been captured in that battle. Hobart escaped from captivity, and returned to the regiment prior to the Atlanta Campaign. When Hobart assumed brigade command later in 1864, Fitch would again take command of the regiment, and received a promotion to Lt. Col. After the end of the war, the state of Wisconsin gave Fitch a retroactive promotion to Colonel.

The 21st Wisconsin was in the 1st Division, 14th Army Corps in Spring, 1863. At this time, the division was commanded by Lovell H. Rousseau.

Michael H. Fitch's Echoes of the Civil War as I Hear Them can be read HERE in its entirety.
                    Andy Ackeret
                    A/C Staff

Comment

Today we will hear from James M. Randall, who at the time of our event scenario was Captain of Company G. In spring of 1863 he wrote:

While it is true that our line of duties became at times a little monotonous, it was seldom a day passed that something would happen to excite the interest of all. The confederates were on nearly all sides of us, and a force sent out by us to forage, or to reconnoiter, was sure to meet them within five miles, or less. from our camp. Several sharp engagements was brought on in this manner, but the loss was light. An old gentleman used to come into our camp daily to sing and sell union songs. He claimed to be a Maine Yankee, and used that dialect to perfection. He was properly provided with passes and he conducted a thriving business at selling songs. Of course the boys bought these freely, because the sentiment was very bitter against the confederates. A few there was who doubted his loyalty. I did myself. He was too patriotic. He seemed to overdo the matter. At length he was arrested on suspicion and placed in the guard-house, where for a time he continued to sing his songs. But he tired of prison life and made an attempt to escape by running, was shot by the guard and instantly killed. Then it was his true character was made known. He was a Confederate spy. In the heel of his boot was secreted a perfect map or our camp, explaining the number and position of all our forces, number of cannon and position of our earthworks.
                      A reminder of the potential dangers of any person passing through the lines!

James M. Randall originally enlisted in the 14th Wisconsin, where he became sergeant. He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant and transferred to the 21st WI at the formation of the regiment. He was promoted to Captain effective Mar 29, 1863, and held that rank until April 2, 1865, when he resigned his commission.

Randall's diary is available online courtesy of The Ohio State University Department of History: http://ehistory.osu.edu/exhibitions/.../randall/index
                      Last edited by Andy Ackeret; 03-20-2016, 10:58 AM.
                      Andy Ackeret
                      A/C Staff

Comment

This week brings another entry from James M. Randall. While it post-dates our event scenario by a year, it is a good example of how picket could be very active.

Camp 21st Wis.

June 19th 1864

Dear Wife,
                        I will now write you of a skirmish in which Company "G" played a part on yesterday. On the evening of the 17th I was detailed with my company for picket duty. We were held in reserve until twelve o'clock at night, when we advanced to the front lines which had to be held at all hazard. The night was very dark and rainy. But little firing was done on either side until daylight, at which time the bullets began to fly in dead earnest. Soon the order came to advance our line across an open field in front. I communicated the order to Company "G" and it was met with a ready response. Every man sprang forward at the word, leaving breastworks and the shelter afforded by young timber and rushed into the open field exposed to a withering fire at short range. Our advance proved that the enemy's position could not be taken by a direct attack of a skirmish line. Consequently we fell back to the shelter of timber. Soon a fight commenced on our right which turned to our advantage, as our men there were able to open a cross fire upon the Confederates in our front. Then it was that the order was again given to Co. "G" to charge the line, and this time it proved a perfect success. The Confederates were driven from their position in a rout, leaving guns, accoutrements, knapsacks, haversacks and even shoes. Company "G" captured seven prisoners, which I sent to Brigade Headquarters. Company "G" did nobly and received praise from both, brigade and regimental commanders. Fortunately we lost but one man wounded. We held the captured works and kept up the skirmishing through the day.
                        James M. Randall originally enlisted in the 14th Wisconsin, where he became sergeant. He was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant and transferred to the 21st WI at the formation of the regiment. He was promoted to Captain effective Mar 29, 1863, and held that rank until April 2, 1865, when he resigned his commission.

Randall's diary is available online courtesy of The Ohio State University Department of History: http://ehistory.osu.edu/exhibitions/.../randall/index
                        Andy Ackeret
                        A/C Staff

Comment

Here we shall see a week of entries by James M. Randall from the time of the Atlanta Campaign:

July 1st Our brigade got into its new position in the early part of the night. The movement was of extreme danger and could be made only under cover of darkness. We were close to the Confederate lines, and the least noise, such as a loud word, the rattle of accoutrements, or the snapping of a twig, served to draw a sharp fire from the enemy. Our regiment took a position at the extreme front on the left of our brigade. Less than seventy five yards distant, up the slope of the mountain, the confederate works were in plain view of us, and every motion made upon either side was sure to draw the fire and there was no safety except in lying closely behind the works. It was reported that a portion of our army was moving round to the right towards the rear of Johnson's army.

July 2nd Our brigade remained on the front line. Picket firing was brisk. The artillery opened up lively in the morning, but the confederates made only a feeble response. We had quite a rain in the afternoon.

July 3rd At an early hour it was reported in camp that the enemy had retreated. The report was soon confirmed by our scouts who made their way into the deserted works. Our whole army moved forward at 7 o'clock A.M. The 14th Corps passed through Marietta, Ga. about noon, and first encountered the enemy three miles south of that place. Forming into line of battle we advanced a short distance. At 8 o'clock P.M. the 21st Wis. went out on picket. Weather extremely warm.

July 4th Independence day. The third one I had passed in the army. Our regiment remained on picket, or rather the skirmish line through the day. I was in command of Co's "B" and "G". Being in the advance we had a lively time of it. We used sixty rounds of ammunition to each man, and drove the enemy a mile or more. James E Woodley, a cousin whom I had never met, visited me upon the picket line nearly all day. He was a soldier belonging to the 60th New York.

July 5th We were awakened by the cry, "The Johnnies have gone." Sure enough, the confederates had abandoned a strong line of works and fallen back. Our army moved forward at 7 o'clock A.M. The 10th and 21st Wis. regiments moved on a road at the right of the brigade, and became engaged in lively skirmishing. We found two dead and one man wounded of the confederates. At length we came upon the enemy strongly intrenched, and we, too, commenced digging to protect ourselves.

July 6th In the morning our regiment changed its position to one less exposed. Here we built a strong line of earthworks to shield us from shot and shell. Picket firing was kept up constantly. Private Vanduzen of Company "G" was instantly killed by a sharpshooter. He was a fine young soldier, the comfort and support of a widowed mother, to whom he was in the act of writing a letter when killed. I took the unfinished letter and briefly added an account of his sudden death and sent it to that mother. It was evidence to her that the son's last thoughts were of her.

July 7th I was detailed as Officer of the Day and directed to have our camp ground cleared off. It was said we might remain here a few days. There was heavy cannonading on our left. Picket firing continued though not quite so briskly.

Last edited by Andy Ackeret; 04-04-2016, 07:08 PM.
                          Andy Ackeret
                          A/C Staff

Comment

This week, we will have one final account from Captain James M. Randall of Company G:

Aug. 18th [1864] I had a rather exciting experience: Captain Walker of our regiment was in command of the brigade picket line. Wishing to visit Department Headquarters in the morning before being relieved, he requested me to do this, though I had not been over the line and knew nothing of its situation. Still everything was comparatively quiet, and I knew of no contemplated movement. My services upon the line were not likely to be called for and I was glad to do Captain Walker a favor. But sometimes the unexpected happens, so it was in this case. In less than a half hour after the Captain left, I received an order from Brigade Headquarters to advance the picket line. The impression prevailed that the enemy had withdrawn from our front, and this move was to be made to ascertain whether or not such was the case. The line was fully one mile in length, running through heavy timber most of the way and generally well fortified, but there were open spaces across which our breastworks did not extend. Starting on the right I hurriedly made my way towards the left of the line, giving the order to follow up the charge where it commenced on the right. I had to make this trip as soon as I possibly could, hence I had no time to shield myself by picking my way. At an open space, in plain view, and within one hundred yards of the Confederate line of works, I knew the undertaking was an extremely hazardous one, but I had no time to loose. As soon as I stepped into the open the confederates cut loose. It seemed as though there were hundreds of muskets discharged at me. I was the only Yankee in sight, the bullets flew about me. Surely I was the target aimed at. When running at my utmost speed I tripped and fell. Then it was that our neighbors over there gave a mighty yell. They surely thought they had winged me, and at first I was not quite certain whether or not I was hit. I soon concluded however that I was still all right and I quickly hurried myself under the cover of our breastworks. A bullet had struck the scabbard of my sword, during the race. I had sustained no injury unless it was that caused by panic. I have often wondered at my narrow escape, probably my time had not yet arrived but I attribute it largely to poor marksmanship on the part of the enemy. Their will was good but their aim was exceedingly poor. When I got round, the order to advance the line was countermanded. I could testify that the enemy was still there.

“Captain Walker” is Charles H. Walker, originally captain of company K, then promoted to Major effective May 3, 1864. Evidence from multiple sources indicates he was the senior Captain from May of 1863 until the date of his promotion, and repeatedly served as a field officer during that time.

Andy Ackeret
                            A/C Staff

Comment

Today we will hear from Charles Nelson Paine, Captain of Company B from 1862-1863. Transcripts of Paine's letters are in the microfilm collection of the Wisconsin Historical Society.

Camp at Mitchillville[sic], Kentucky Nov. 14, 1862.

We are stationed here at this point for the present, guarding the Nashville Rail Road. The cars are only moving this far now. How long we may remain here I cannot tell. Perhaps only until the road is opened farther. The principal obstructions to the road south of here are a tunnell[sic] that was blown up by the rebels. That is being rapidly removed.

When we are here the stores for this whole army are being received, and transported to Nashville by train it being some forty miles. It makes it very busy here. Every man able to do duty is employed, either as guard, on picket or fatigue duty, but for all the change is very desirable to us. We are realishing[sic] it very much. We are having enough to eat and drink. For the first time since we left Louisville we are able to get Butter at 40 cents, chickens at 7, eggs at 5, potatoes at from 8 to 12. We have not had any before. Our men have only had hard bread, bacon, coffee and sugar since we left home. Just now they are getting nice molasses, beans, vinegar and they are promised some vegetables. They have a few beans before. They are feeling encourage[sic].
                              Charles N. Paine was the original captain of Company B. He resigned, due to disability, effective December 2, 1863.
                              Andy Ackeret
                              A/C Staff

Comment

Working...
                              X