Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imprisoned on the Frontier, March 17-19, 2017.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imprisoned on the Frontier, March 17-19, 2017.

This is a 155th cycle event commemorating the 6 month period from October 1861- April 1862 when Fort McKavett, Texas was occupied by Co. E, 1st Texas Mounted Rifles and served as a temporary prisoner of war camp for one of the six companies of the 8th US Infantry that was surrendered at the Battle of Adam's Hill, near San Antonio, on May 9, 1861. The companies of the 8th were divided amongst the former Federal outposts on the Texas frontier over the winter of 1861- spring of 1862.

A website has been created: http://companytailor.wixsite.com/the...n-the-frontier and discussions have begun on the event page for Fort McKavett State Historic Site: https://www.facebook.com/events/1746514718957130/

Registration is limited to 50 Federals and 60 Texans. This is a unique event representing a forgotten facet of Texas and Civil War history.

Information about the Federals:
    The prisoners that were distributed amongst the frontier posts during the Fall of 1861 were all enlisted men and NCO's, the officer's were kept in San Antonio. No weapons or accoutrements (other than to eat, cook, and carry your rations and to carry your personal effects) will be needed for this impression. By Fall of 1861 when trasfered to Fort McKavett, these soldiers would have been wearing the same issue of clothing that they were surrendered in six months earlier, by March 1862 they would have been wearing cast off clothing from the Texans and whatever could be obtained from the Unionist Aid Societies in the nearby German communities. Please check the guidelines on the site....these weren't your fresh faced 90 day volunteers, these men were hardened veterans and a good mix of civilian clothing is appropriate.

Information about the Texans:
    The 1st Texas Mounted Rifles had been on campaign since March of 1861. These men were the first regiment that Texas created during the Civil War, and the commission to form the regiment was the first issued by the Confederate Government. The men that composed this regiment, in part, had experience in the ranging companies of the 1850's. By November 1861, attrition had begun to set in and the bi-weekly 85 mile patrols against the Lipan Apache and Comanche had taken it's toll. The 70-80 man strong companies had been whittled down to 50-60 men in strength.

Registration will open October 1, 2016.

For more information on the event, please contact me at this address.
    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Re: Imprisoned on the Frontier, March 17-19, 2017.

Perhaps I can come and reprise my impression as the company clerk in the headquarters building.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

We have since constructed desks, bookshelves, and a clerk's desk for use.
      Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
      Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

I could recreate my dysentery.
        Robert Orrand
        N. B. Forrest Camp 215, SCV
        Civilian Adjunct - Mayor of Dover, Purdy, Raymond, Layette, and more to come... and oh yeah Gettysburg
        4thTN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Comment

Originally posted by desotobob View Post
          I could recreate my dysentery.
          Don't SAY that, please! (LOL)
          Kevin Dally

Comment

Two real Yankees are planning on a return trip for this one.
            Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
            Civil War Digital Digest
            Sally Port Mess

Comment

I'm going to do my best to make this one Cody.
              Frank Siltman
              24th Mo Vol Inf
              Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
              Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
              Company of Military Historians
              Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
              X