This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chaff before the Wind

Lol... I'd rather march than sit in the woods waiting to get rolled over. I suck at fundraising. My daughter used to hate giving her school stuff to me.
    Mike Phineas
    Arlington, TX
    24th Missouri Infantry
    Independent Volunteer Battalion
    www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Sounds like an interesting time. I had overlooked this thread somehow.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Interesting to note that the 82nd Illinois had both an "Israelite" company (Co "C") and a Scandinavian company. (Co. "I") which are a couple of ethnic groups you don't see CW era impressions of very often. It would make for some interesting interpretation opportunities.

Will MacDonald

Comment

It would indeed Will. Thank you for sharing this.
          Slightly off topic, but I found soldiers in the 77th OVI that were from Scandinavia and Iceland. I thought that was pretty interesting as well.
          Tyler Underwood
          Pawleys Island #409 AFM
          Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Mike and Frank, be happy to know that you won't have to follow me around the woods again this go round if you attend. I'm wearing the gray suit this time, (and Tyler and Patrick will be the guides.)

I've been hiking around with gear to get ready for this one. I'm also lucky that half of my co workers are former military, and we chew the fat about ACW topics daily, and they are happy to donate a little bit of funds to the effort.
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

Well, I'm Icelandic so that would be a great impression for me. Do you have the names?
              Michael Comer

Comment

Here is the roster for Co. I:

Will MacDonald

Comment

To keep everyone fired up about this living history I thought I would share a great article full of eyewitness accounts from the flank attack. And like the name of this event, the article also takes its name sake from Psalsm 35:5

Sorry, the page you were looking for doesn’t exist. Have you tried our keyword search? Go to the homepage or email us at web@battlefields.org if we...

Also, to keep everyone updated on the status of the event Mr. Ferringer and I have a meeting with the NPS next month to lock down some of the final details to get the ball rolling.
                  Tyler Underwood
                  Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                  Governor Guards, WIG

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I see a few family names in that Co. I roster. Large groups of Icelanders came over here prior to the war. Some converted to Mormonism and moved to Utah Territory where there is still a fairly large population in the southern part of the state. Others moved to areas in Canada. I was unaware of any amounts moving to Illinois and the Chicago area. Interesting.
                    Michael Comer

Comment

Folks, I want to give you an update with the event.

A few weeks ago we had a meeting with the NPS and they are VERY excited and fully supporting this event. We are currently in communications with local government organizations to get all of the legal stuff squared away. Stay tuned for more info!
                      Tyler Underwood
                      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                      Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Looking forward to it... Sounds like great fun!
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                        SCAR
                        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I put it up to J. Wyman from the CVG. I'm not sure if we could raise a whole company for the 26th, but I'm sure a few of us would definitely be interested in coming out for it. I'll keep updates

Ronnie Raymond
                          A co. CVG
                          Ronnie Raymond

Comment

As of right now we are still working with the park to figure out a route, but in an effort to keep things interesting for the Federals, we are planning a march for them on Saturday too.
                            This will likely be the path that the 11th Corps took to the field where they were attacked. This will provide a way for the public to follow along with the army and give them a chance to hear some first hand accounts.
                            We chose not to allow this on the CS march due to distance and the liability issues involved.
                            Tyler Underwood
                            Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                            Governor Guards, WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Underwood View Post
                              A good quick read about Rodes Division during the flank attack can be found on Page 209-215 at the link below.

"Charge Alabamians, Charge!"

https://books.google.com/books?id=Cq...rge%22&f=false

Interested in attending. Letting the 9th Texas, Red River battalion know. Looks like a great event.

Thanks
                              Dennis Hunt

Comment

I spoke to J. Wyman and A.Dangle from the CVG, they'd love to get a company together but unfortunately this event is the same weekend as McDowell 2017 and they are already committed to McDowell. I posted this to the CVG facebook page and there a few rank and file that would rather do this event then McDowell. If we can fall in with a company who would I contact about falling in??
                                Ronnie Raymond

Comment

Working...
                                X