Like True Badgers - 4th Wisconsin at the 155th Port Hudson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Like True Badgers" - 4th Wisconsin at the 155th Port Hudson

Part of the $30 registration is going for my cash bounty for attending.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

LoL!

Thanks for the responses guys, it may have answered the same questions others had!
      Kevin Dally

Comment

Gentlemen,
        I just spoke to my mother in law. And if you don't know who she is...I hope that by the end of rhis event you will. She just said "it would be a shame if these boys came all the way here "to do it right"...not to have an artifact to take home with them from the actual battle"

So with that said....every member of our company will "take away" from this event an actual artifact found in the area.
        Last edited by Dale Beasley; 06-13-2017, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Alright folks,

Here is an exciting addition to our component for the Port Hudson event!!

Our very own medical officer, Dale Beasley, will be operating a quality field hospital scenario specifically for the members of this group. This will be going on during the 2 scripted battles and our wounded will be carted to his station. Trust me, this will look fantastic.

To add to the realism of this addition, his wife and daughters have graciously offered to help operate the scenario, as well. To do this, we are going to open up a special branch of the 4th to include more nurses!

If your wife/girlfriend/best friend/etc. would like to join us for Port Hudson, please feel free to let them know what we are doing. They must have a solid kit for the impression. They will also need to notify Mr. Beasley so that his wife can get an accurate headcount. They will also be providing aprons to those that attend.

Lastly, Mrs. Beasley will also be hosting a "School of the Nurse" on site at the event. This is a fantastic opportunity for all!

We wanted an opportunity to include families and still keep our adjunct within the historical context; so here it is. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
          Most respectfully yours,

Sam Galyon
          Trans-Miss Hellcats

"Like True Badgers" -- 4th Wisconsin @ 155th Port Hudson

Comment

A Civil War Trust article exploring the legacy of the Civil War in modern medicine.

Comment

Sam, I realize we are behind a great event...but it's funny how my oldest boy at the USNA is trying to get home for the event, because he is jelous of his younger brother who is getting to do PH right !

Comment

Dale, is yore son going Navy or Marine?
                Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

He hasn't decided yet.

Comment

Folks,

I wished to provide you with a general overview of what you can expect from this effort for the Port Hudson event.

First off, for Friday night, we will be camping on the exact location of the 4th Wisconsins' camp at Port Hudson during the siege. We have carefully pinpointed the location and believe this will add a unique opportunity for everyone involved. You will be shuttled to the campsite and will make the ~3 mile march into the main event on Saturday morning.

Saturday will be chockfull of opportunities. We will recreate the assault of the 4th Wisconsin across the original route they took from their campsite to the Arkansas/Alabama Redoubt. Each member will be draw a "fate card" with an original member of the 4th Wisconsin who was present for the siege. These cards will include whether they were wounded or not, where they were wounded, and where they were from. We have meticulously pinpointed the approximate locations of the distance the 4th made during their charge and the locations of General Paine's wounding and Colonel Bean's death. These will be used again when we recreate the May 27 assault during the main event scenario on Saturday.

During our "down time" between scenarios, the camp will be conducted to the principles of a Federal camp during the siege. Members will drill (bayonet drill WILL occur), details will be sent out, etc. Essentially, the camp will be conducted in a manner where individuals will constantly be able to do something. That evening, individuals will have an opportunity to fraternize with their friends in other units, etc.

Sunday, we will be offering a unique scenario that involves the original Fort Desperate location on site. Although I am not at leisure to divulge all of the secrets on this scenario, I think it will definitely peak your interests. We will also recreate the June 14 assault made by the 4th on Sunday utilizing "fate cards" and I promise it will not disappoint.

Finally, at conclusion of the event, members who attend with the 4th will have a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity to walk across the Priest Cap, which is currently on private property. This was the focal point of the 4th Wisconsins' charge on June 14, 1863.

Rations will be provided as per the accounts that i have discovered from members of the 4th Wisconsin during their tenure at Port Hudson. The vast majority of these will be locally sourced from the same farms that the 4th probably received their rations from. Also, each participant will receive something (a handsewn shirt, letter, etc.) in a general mail call for the company.

We will also have a stellar medical scenario established specifically for members of the 4th Wisconsin under the direction of Mr. Beasley. It will add a serious piece of realism for the scenarios that we will partake in.

With the last large event now out of the way for this year, we certainly hope to see registration pick up. You won't want to miss out on this one, my friends.

I will also be creating a website that will be accessible for all of those who currently do not have a Facebook to obtain information regarding this effort. Once it is complete, I will post it here. Thank you.

And please, REGISTER! Onward you Badgers!
                    Most respectfully yours,

Sam Galyon
                    Trans-Miss Hellcats

Comment

Gentlemen,
                      Really cant add much that Sam hasn't covered. We are really having a good showing in registration. One thing that Sam didn't add, each person who registered in the company will receive and actual artifact that has been recovered over the years from my father n Law. This is a take-away that is unique.

Port Hudson has four-lane highways all the way to it.

Plus, it doesn't rain in South Louisiana! And if it does, we have a spot set aside.

"Come-See"

Comment

Here is the registration link showing who all has registered! If you are interested in joining this effort, simply submit your $30 ration/preservation fee to: stonewall421@gmail.com.

I hope to have a website for this effort up and running no later than the end of Thanksgiving break. Thanks!

Sheet1 "Like True Badgers" -- 4th Wisconsin @ 155th Port Hudson Registration List Last Name,First Name ,Submitted $5 for Raffle Beasley,Dale Beasley ,Alan Beckman,Ben ,x Bernard,Benjamin Borgers,Keith Bourhenne ,David Canterbury,Adam Carreon,Blaine,x Carter,Garrett Cobb,Ryan DesRochers,Brian...
                        Most respectfully yours,

Sam Galyon
                        Trans-Miss Hellcats

Comment

We have reached 20 folks registered!! Who else is in?!?!

Sheet1 "Like True Badgers" -- 4th Wisconsin @ 155th Port Hudson Registration List Last Name,First Name ,Submitted $5 for Raffle Beasley,Dale Beasley ,Alan Beckman,Ben ,x Bernard,Benjamin Borgers,Keith Bourhenne ,David Canterbury,Adam Carreon,Blaine,x Carter,Garrett Cobb,Ryan DesRochers,Brian...
                          Most respectfully yours,

Sam Galyon
                          Trans-Miss Hellcats

Comment

Gentlemen, and those of you from Texas,
                            Just would like to add to this event. The planning and numbers are going very well. This is going to be a great adjunct, hope you all will consider this event, I have taken this event personal.....and I’m making sure it works.
                            I may be crazy, ( see my moto below....but stand by me)...haha

Comment

Friends,

I apologize for my absence these past couple days. A devoted friend and proponent of this adjunct, Keith Borgers, has been suffering from a combination of sepsis and cancer. Sadly, he passed away this morning in his home, but he had hoped to attend this event with you all.

I will not deny that the main drive for me to raise this effort was for my friend. I had hoped to have him join me on one more adventure into Louisiana. This effort will be nothing short of a memorium and testament to his passion for the hobby and the Civil War for me.

To let everyone know, we are exactly ONE month away from the registration deadline. If you are still interested and have the ability to join us, I would be eternally grateful. In order to register, please send $30 via PayPal to:

stonewall421@gmail.com

Here are the first previews of the historic markers to be placed at Port Hudson at the event. We hope those that are interested in the effort will want to join us to see them in person. Thank you.

Most respectfully,
                              Sam Galyon

First historic marker for Port Hudson

Like True Badgers 4.0-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Second historic marker for Port Hudson

Like True Badgers 4.1 -1.jpg
                              Last edited by Sam Galyon; 01-16-2018, 10:02 PM.
                              Most respectfully yours,

Sam Galyon
                              Trans-Miss Hellcats

Comment

Originally posted by MuleyGil View Post
                                Dale, is yore son going Navy or Marine?
                                He is going to Learherneck this summer.

Comment

Working...
                                X