Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Like True Badgers" - 4th Wisconsin at 155th Port Hudson AAR

Friends,

Wow. A little over a year ago, I would never have dreamed that this effort would explode like it did. When I initially contemplated the idea with Keith Borgers, I merely expected 20 of my local friends to attend. But Keith had high hopes and higher expectations. He wanted something that shake the very foundation of the way we look at our efforts regarding adjuncts. Through sheer diligence, we managed to field a company of 45 dedicated friends (along with 6 civilians) to represent Co. D of the 4th Wisconsin.

Keith invisiomed an effort that was different than most adjuncts. He wanted us out in the open, where the public and event participants could see us. He wanted to see a genuine effort to give back to the battlefield where his only war-time ancestor ever fought. But most importantly, Keith recognized that the next generation of re-enactors were already beginning to appear on the scene and we should be ready to accept them with open arms and a guiding hand. Even at 24 years of age, Keith convinced me that the next group was already behind me. And it was time for us to offer our knowledge to them. I ardently believe that all of these requests were accomplished this weekend.

From March to December 2017, our leadership had a strong and continual positive interaction with the park service at Port Hudson. We had secured a means of erecting two new markers dedicated to the 4th Wisconsin on the site. We also we're granted the opportunity to recreate the assault made by the 4th against the original works at the Arkansas-Alabama Redoubt. Everything seemed to be going perfectly for everyone involved. Then came the phone call of January 1, 2018.

Keith called me with a raspy voice and it was apparent he had been sobbing. He told me that his time was coming soon and he wished to say "goodbye." I was shattered. I immediately secured passage to Florida to be with my friend during his final days with us. From the minute I arrived, the only thing he ever wanted to discuss was Port Hudson. Before I left him for the final time, he told me that everything would be okay and implored me to not let the effort die out. Following his sudden passing, I came close to calling the whole thing off. But through the love and support of so many friends, we decided that the effort should be dedicated to Keith's memory.

When we finally got the site at 4 a.m. on Friday morning, I could already tell Keith was with us. That entire day was a blur, as I spent much of it running from one end of the park to the next. We installed markers at the Arkansas-Alabama Redoubt and along the Fort Desperate trail, pointing toward the Priest Cap. I remember welcoming old friends and meeting new ones. I don't recall sitting down until dinner. Dale Beasley, our Medical officer, kindly invited the officers and NCOs to his quarters for delectable dinner of beef, potatoes, and onions.

At 6 a.m. on Saturday, the command formed up for the first time in front of the camp. It was a thing of martial beauty. Never before had I seen such an endeavor and it truly brought tears to my eyes to see such hard work finally come together. We formed up and moved out for the color raising and usual speeches from the park staff. It was apparent that we still needed to work out some of the links from the drill manual.

We raced the company back to camp before the morning tactical to drill as quickly as possible. To the sounds of musketry in the woods and ravines to our rear, we drilled and drilled until we were comfortable and confident in the capacity of the men. Around 10:25 a.m., we marched toward the sound of the guns. Through a ravine and down a winding path, we probed for the Confederates. By mere happenstance, we managed to land in their rear and came bounding up the slope with a cheer. The boys performed admirably and managed to push the Rebs off of the high ground and back to their original positions.

At 11:30 a.m., we marched off for our special scenario at the Arkansas-Alabama Redoubt. Each man drew a "fate card" with the name of an original member of Co. D that detailed the date they enlisted, where they were from, and whether they survived the siege unscathed or not. Due to the point from which we entered the tactical, we ended up further down the trails than we originally desired and we're forced to countermarch to the correct location.

We sprang forth from the trail at 12:30 immedately in front of the Arkansas-Alabama Redoubt. At the double quick, the men formed into line of battle. For the first time since 1863, a Federal column pressed to within 50 yards of the original works. I had the honor of portraying Capt. Edwin Herren, who was wounded in the knee during the assault. I have never been more proud to lead such an endeavor. It was phenomenal to watch. Following the closure of the scenario, we dedicated the marker there in Keith's memory and held a company reading for all to hear.

From there, we marched back to our camp. The men had little time that morning to properly cook their rations and had executed a "forced march" across much of the park to accomplish our morning scenarios. With little time to spare, the boys arrived back at the campsite around 1:00 p.m. to consume their rations of salt pork, beans, sweet potatoes, and cornmeal.

By 1:50 p.m., we reformed the company and marched to meet the rest of the battalion. As we settled ourselves on the left wing of 1st battalion, we enjoyed the company of zouaves adjacent to our position in line. Just as the 4th did during the May 27 assault, we were to be held in reserve until the commanding general called for us to come up. We waited just behind the Federal artillery as the rest of the Federal force was engaged. When it became apparent that the Rebs were going to attempt to flank the right of our force, I ordered the company forward at the double quick to come to the relief of our friends. The boys handled themselves wonderfully. We smashed into the splintered Confederate left and drove them back beyond a split rail fence. Our company performed admirably on the field and the men employed their "fate cards" in the public scenario, as well.

An added bonus to this scenario was Dale Beasleys' medical set up. As members of the 4th crawled or limped to the rear, they were brought to his field station. Dale's impression of the true horrors that surround a field hospital was spot on and truly added a unique element to the entire event scenario.

Following the public scenario, the company returned to camp. I can affirm, we were exhausted. But we still had one more marker to dedicate. We would not be doing it alone. Several members of Keith's family had made the 13-hour drive all the way to Louisiana for us and the park Keith loved so much.

In what I can only describe as the most emotional and spiritual event I have ever partaken in at an event, we dedicated the final marker in Keith's memory and presented the family with a portrait of Keith for all of their support. We sat around the marker and regailed one another with stories of Keith. We laughed. We cried. But most importantly, we bonded over the memory of friend. I shall never forget it.

That evening, we accepted the accolades and invitations of no more than half a dozen units for our participation in the day's scenarios. We were hailed as the best unit on the field created a sense of pride in every single attendee we came across. All I can say is, if the Washington Artillery invite you to their camp for "Artillery Punch," don't set reveille for 6:00 a.m. No one is going to even stir.

Sunday morning, the company was formed up and ready by 9:00 a.m. We took the opportunity to utilize the main field at the park to conduct skirmish drill and prepare ourselves to recreate the efforts of the 4th Wisconsin during their charge of June 14, 1863. The men learned quickly, and within an hour, were showing much promise. A quick moment to have the company image struck was their only time to catch a reprieve from drill.

Following drill, we headed back to camp. Several of us enjoyed a round of "Lincoln & Liberty," while others enjoyed a company game of "tug-o-war." Nothing was more humorous than watching a bunch of grown men lose to the youngest men in the company.

At 1:00 p.m., we formed the company and moved out for our final public scenario. To the bellows of our 1st Sgt. Brennan Wheatley, the boys went down the entire line to the chant of "What does the Bully 4th say?!" The chorus of 40 men chanting "Hit 'em again! Hit 'em again! Hit 'em again!!!" will forever fill me with a sense of pride I have not yet know in my reenacting experience.

We we're deployed to the front in a skirmish line, just as the 4th had been on June 14, 1863. After a stiff resistance from the Rebel infantry, the presence of infantry support sent them reeling to their works. We reformed the company back to the battalion and pressed to the split rail fence. We re-deployed as skirmishers and pressed to within 75 yard of the Confederate works. With the remainder of the company, I ordered a charge against the entrenched Rebs. Several of the men managed to clamber over the works and were, to my knowledge, captured. The shattered remanants of the company fell back a safe distance from the Rebel works.

As we marched off the field, we were met with the cheers of accolades from every single Federal company at the event. It was an absolute privilege to receive such honors and the men deserve that honor for all of their hard work and determination. I would like to take this time to thank several of my friends who were most crucial in assisting with this effort.

From the onset, Jordan Harrell was absolutely critical to the planning of this effort. His close proximity to the site made him the prime candidate for getting this effort off the ground. He made an invaluable Lieutenant and I cannot thank you enough, brother. His diligence to completing the markers for the 4th and Keith was phenomenal.

To Dale Beasley, thank you for the wonderful medical presentation. It was absolutely spot on and deeply appreciated. More than just members of the 4th remarked how well it was conducted and I applaud you and your family for their hard work. The mail call was excellent, the kindness of gifting those who attended with artifacts was phenomenal, and I cannot thank you enough, Brother.

To Brennan Wheatley, I couldn't have done this without you, my friend. Many thanks to you for keeping the men in line, teaching with a guiding hand, and providing a wonderful ration issue for all to remember. Aaron Klass, I love ya, man. It was an absolute blast to have you and Ben back in our neck of the woods once more. I look forward to the next one. Jacob Thompson, I hope you leaned a hell of a lot this weekend. Your diligence and willingness to step up to our 3rd sergeant position was definitely admirable. Thomas Salemi, your knowledge and diligence was astronomical to the effectiveness of the company.

To my corporals, you were phenomenal. Each and every one of you. Hunter Kramer, you were the heart and soul of the corporals. Every single one of them looked up to you and I deeply appreciate your drive and fire that you gave the entire weekend. Timothy Hallman, Sean Harla, Cameron Wilcox, Kevin Malcolm, Aaron Hall, y'all were absolutely phenomenal on the field and I deeply appreciate each and every one of you for your assistance with getting the boys fired up for a fight.

Jonathan Siltman, I wish you would have been able to join us brother. I appreciate all of the loaner gear you were able to send along to assist those who needed gear. I know it was a hassle, but I deeply appreciate it.

In closing, I have one final thing to say. As part of our endeavor, we wanted to give back to the park and the history community wherever we could. The two markers dedicated to the memory of the 4th Wisconsin Infantry at Port Hudson was a phenomenal opportunity. They are the only markers on the field dedicated to a Federal infantry regiment at the site. We also informed every participant that any remaining funds from the ration/marker fee would be donated toward preservation of property related to the Civil War.

Since the State of Louisiana does not allow funds to be directly donated to their historic sites, we decided to gift the money to the Civil War Trust. In the memory of Keith Borgers we will be donating $670 to the Civil War Trust which will be used to save 3 of Keith's favorite battlefields in Virginia: Bristoe, Trevilian, and Reams Stations. The Trust will match $76.26 to the dollar, making our total donation to the Civil War Trust top out at $51,094.20.

I hope we have made you proud, Keith.
    Most respectfully yours,

Sam Galyon
    Trans-Miss Hellcats

"Like True Badgers" -- 4th Wisconsin @ 155th Port Hudson

Re: "Like True Badgers" -- 4th Wisconsin at 155th Port Hudson AAR

It was an honor to take the field with all of you. I am looking forward to many more together
    Pvt. K.R. Malcolm
    Co. H, 8th USI

Comment

Re: "Like True Badgers" - 4th Wisconsin at 155th Port Hudson AAR

It was a true pleasure to be apart of this company. I had not had the walk-away from an event in the last five years that I had for this event and “Wet-hatchie”.
      Last edited by Dale Beasley; 03-28-2018, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Sam, it was an honor and a privilege to serve as a Corporal in the 4th. It was a great experience. It was a great event. An event that I will always hold dear. HIT EM AGAIN!
        Timothy Hallman
        Trans-Miss Hellcat

"What does the Bully 4th say?”
        “HIT EM AGAIN! HIT EM AGAIN! HIT EM AGAIN!”

"Like True Badgers" -- 4th Wisconsin @ 155th Port Hudson

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall421 View Post
          Friends,

Wow. A little over a year ago, I would never have dreamed that this effort would explode like it did. When I initially contemplated the idea with Keith Borgers, I merely expected 20 of my local friends to attend. But Keith had high hopes and higher expectations. He wanted something that shake the very foundation of the way we look at our efforts regarding adjuncts. Through sheer diligence, we managed to field a company of 45 dedicated friends (along with 6 civilians) to represent Co. D of the 4th Wisconsin.

Keith invisiomed an effort that was different than most adjuncts. He wanted us out in the open, where the public and event participants could see us. He wanted to see a genuine effort to give back to the battlefield where his only war-time ancestor ever fought. But most importantly, Keith recognized that the next generation of re-enactors were already beginning to appear on the scene and we should be ready to accept them with open arms and a guiding hand. Even at 24 years of age, Keith convinced me that the next group was already behind me. And it was time for us to offer our knowledge to them. I ardently believe that all of these requests were accomplished this weekend.

From March to December 2017, our leadership had a strong and continual positive interaction with the park service at Port Hudson. We had secured a means of erecting two new markers dedicated to the 4th Wisconsin on the site. We also we're granted the opportunity to recreate the assault made by the 4th against the original works at the Arkansas-Alabama Redoubt. Everything seemed to be going perfectly for everyone involved. Then came the phone call of January 1, 2018.

Keith called me with a raspy voice and it was apparent he had been sobbing. He told me that his time was coming soon and he wished to say "goodbye." I was shattered. I immediately secured passage to Florida to be with my friend during his final days with us. From the minute I arrived, the only thing he ever wanted to discuss was Port Hudson. Before I left him for the final time, he told me that everything would be okay and implored me to not let the effort die out. Following his sudden passing, I came close to calling the whole thing off. But through the love and support of so many friends, we decided that the effort should be dedicated to Keith's memory.

When we finally got the site at 4 a.m. on Friday morning, I could already tell Keith was with us. That entire day was a blur, as I spent much of it running from one end of the park to the next. We installed markers at the Arkansas-Alabama Redoubt and along the Fort Desperate trail, pointing toward the Priest Cap. I remember welcoming old friends and meeting new ones. I don't recall sitting down until dinner. Dale Beasley, our Medical officer, kindly invited the officers and NCOs to his quarters for delectable dinner of beef, potatoes, and onions.

At 6 a.m. on Saturday, the command formed up for the first time in front of the camp. It was a thing of martial beauty. Never before had I seen such an endeavor and it truly brought tears to my eyes to see such hard work finally come together. We formed up and moved out for the color raising and usual speeches from the park staff. It was apparent that we still needed to work out some of the links from the drill manual.

We raced the company back to camp before the morning tactical to drill as quickly as possible. To the sounds of musketry in the woods and ravines to our rear, we drilled and drilled until we were comfortable and confident in the capacity of the men. Around 10:25 a.m., we marched toward the sound of the guns. Through a ravine and down a winding path, we probed for the Confederates. By mere happenstance, we managed to land in their rear and came bounding up the slope with a cheer. The boys performed admirably and managed to push the Rebs off of the high ground and back to their original positions.

At 11:30 a.m., we marched off for our special scenario at the Arkansas-Alabama Redoubt. Each man drew a "fate card" with the name of an original member of Co. D that detailed the date they enlisted, where they were from, and whether they survived the siege unscathed or not. Due to the point from which we entered the tactical, we ended up further down the trails than we originally desired and we're forced to countermarch to the correct location.

We sprang forth from the trail at 12:30 immedately in front of the Arkansas-Alabama Redoubt. At the double quick, the men formed into line of battle. For the first time since 1863, a Federal column pressed to within 50 yards of the original works. I had the honor of portraying Capt. Edwin Herren, who was wounded in the knee during the assault. I have never been more proud to lead such an endeavor. It was phenomenal to watch. Following the closure of the scenario, we dedicated the marker there in Keith's memory and held a company reading for all to hear.

From there, we marched back to our camp. The men had little time that morning to properly cook their rations and had executed a "forced march" across much of the park to accomplish our morning scenarios. With little time to spare, the boys arrived back at the campsite around 1:00 p.m. to consume their rations of salt pork, beans, sweet potatoes, and cornmeal.

By 1:50 p.m., we reformed the company and marched to meet the rest of the battalion. As we settled ourselves on the left wing of 1st battalion, we enjoyed the company of zouaves adjacent to our position in line. Just as the 4th did during the May 27 assault, we were to be held in reserve until the commanding general called for us to come up. We waited just behind the Federal artillery as the rest of the Federal force was engaged. When it became apparent that the Rebs were going to attempt to flank the right of our force, I ordered the company forward at the double quick to come to the relief of our friends. The boys handled themselves wonderfully. We smashed into the splintered Confederate left and drove them back beyond a split rail fence. Our company performed admirably on the field and the men employed their "fate cards" in the public scenario, as well.

An added bonus to this scenario was Dale Beasleys' medical set up. As members of the 4th crawled or limped to the rear, they were brought to his field station. Dale's impression of the true horrors that surround a field hospital was spot on and truly added a unique element to the entire event scenario.

Following the public scenario, the company returned to camp. I can affirm, we were exhausted. But we still had one more marker to dedicate. We would not be doing it alone. Several members of Keith's family had made the 13-hour drive all the way to Louisiana for us and the park Keith loved so much.

In what I can only describe as the most emotional and spiritual event I have ever partaken in at an event, we dedicated the final marker in Keith's memory and presented the family with a portrait of Keith for all of their support. We sat around the marker and regailed one another with stories of Keith. We laughed. We cried. But most importantly, we bonded over the memory of friend. I shall never forget it.

That evening, we accepted the accolades and invitations of no more than half a dozen units for our participation in the day's scenarios. We were hailed as the best unit on the field created a sense of pride in every single attendee we came across. All I can say is, if the Washington Artillery invite you to their camp for "Artillery Punch," don't set reveille for 6:00 a.m. No one is going to even stir.

Sunday morning, the company was formed up and ready by 9:00 a.m. We took the opportunity to utilize the main field at the park to conduct skirmish drill and prepare ourselves to recreate the efforts of the 4th Wisconsin during their charge of June 14, 1863. The men learned quickly, and within an hour, were showing much promise. A quick moment to have the company image struck was their only time to catch a reprieve from drill.

Following drill, we headed back to camp. Several of us enjoyed a round of "Lincoln & Liberty," while others enjoyed a company game of "tug-o-war." Nothing was more humorous than watching a bunch of grown men lose to the youngest men in the company.

At 1:00 p.m., we formed the company and moved out for our final public scenario. To the bellows of our 1st Sgt. Brennan Wheatley, the boys went down the entire line to the chant of "What does the Bully 4th say?!" The chorus of 40 men chanting "Hit 'em again! Hit 'em again! Hit 'em again!!!" will forever fill me with a sense of pride I have not yet know in my reenacting experience.

We we're deployed to the front in a skirmish line, just as the 4th had been on June 14, 1863. After a stiff resistance from the Rebel infantry, the presence of infantry support sent them reeling to their works. We reformed the company back to the battalion and pressed to the split rail fence. We re-deployed as skirmishers and pressed to within 75 yard of the Confederate works. With the remainder of the company, I ordered a charge against the entrenched Rebs. Several of the men managed to clamber over the works and were, to my knowledge, captured. The shattered remanants of the company fell back a safe distance from the Rebel works.

As we marched off the field, we were met with the cheers of accolades from every single Federal company at the event. It was an absolute privilege to receive such honors and the men deserve that honor for all of their hard work and determination. I would like to take this time to thank several of my friends who were most crucial in assisting with this effort.

From the onset, Jordan Harrell was absolutely critical to the planning of this effort. His close proximity to the site made him the prime candidate for getting this effort off the ground. He made an invaluable Lieutenant and I cannot thank you enough, brother. His diligence to completing the markers for the 4th and Keith was phenomenal.

To Dale Beasley, thank you for the wonderful medical presentation. It was absolutely spot on and deeply appreciated. More than just members of the 4th remarked how well it was conducted and I applaud you and your family for their hard work. The mail call was excellent, the kindness of gifting those who attended with artifacts was phenomenal, and I cannot thank you enough, Brother.

To Brennan Wheatley, I couldn't have done this without you, my friend. Many thanks to you for keeping the men in line, teaching with a guiding hand, and providing a wonderful ration issue for all to remember. Aaron Klass, I love ya, man. It was an absolute blast to have you and Ben back in our neck of the woods once more. I look forward to the next one. Jacob Thompson, I hope you leaned a hell of a lot this weekend. Your diligence and willingness to step up to our 3rd sergeant position was definitely admirable. Thomas Salemi, your knowledge and diligence was astronomical to the effectiveness of the company.

To my corporals, you were phenomenal. Each and every one of you. Hunter Kramer, you were the heart and soul of the corporals. Every single one of them looked up to you and I deeply appreciate your drive and fire that you gave the entire weekend. Timothy Hallman, Sean Harla, Cameron Wilcox, Kevin Malcolm, Aaron Hall, y'all were absolutely phenomenal on the field and I deeply appreciate each and every one of you for your assistance with getting the boys fired up for a fight.

Jonathan Siltman, I wish you would have been able to join us brother. I appreciate all of the loaner gear you were able to send along to assist those who needed gear. I know it was a hassle, but I deeply appreciate it.

In closing, I have one final thing to say. As part of our endeavor, we wanted to give back to the park and the history community wherever we could. The two markers dedicated to the memory of the 4th Wisconsin Infantry at Port Hudson was a phenomenal opportunity. They are the only markers on the field dedicated to a Federal infantry regiment at the site. We also informed every participant that any remaining funds from the ration/marker fee would be donated toward preservation of property related to the Civil War.

Since the State of Louisiana does not allow funds to be directly donated to their historic sites, we decided to gift the money to the Civil War Trust. In the memory of Keith Borgers we will be donating $670 to the Civil War Trust which will be used to save 3 of Keith's favorite battlefields in Virginia: Bristoe, Trevilian, and Reams Stations. The Trust will match $76.26 to the dollar, making our total donation to the Civil War Trust top out at $51,094.20.

I hope we have made you proud, Keith.
          My compliments to Sam Gaylon and Brennan Wheatly, you soldiers did a magnificent job training your boys and it showed when you took the field. Mr. Beasley for his concern of my wound and leadership he showed. More is what is needed . You guys have set a standard. Hope to campaign with you folks in the future.
          Tudd Dean

Comment

Well Sam, it will be a couple of months before Jonathan gets to see this, but thanks. Both of us were there in spirit and glad we could help with gear if not in person.
            Frank Siltman
            24th Mo Vol Inf
            Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
            Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
            Company of Military Historians
            Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
            X