Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Averell's Advance - Event Updates

Gentlemen -

Things have been quiet here lately, so we wanted to give you an update on the event.

The park superintendent at Droop Mountain retired last year which put the coordination with the site for the event on hold briefly. We have now received confirmation from the new superintendent that our previous plans are still in place, and the new park management is eager to work with us.

While waiting to hear from the new park manager, we have continued to work on planning for the event. We have come up with a few possible ideas to make this a unique experience for everyone participating and are working to bring them to fruition.

Although we've been quiet, we're still working hard to make Averell's Advance one of the events everyone will be talking about in 2018. Expect some updates to follow soon!
    Stephen Pavey
    "The Broadside Mess"

Re: Event Updates

Today marks two years since the Broadside Mess's first event, Floyd's Folly at Carnifex Ferry, and it's just over a year until our next endeavor, Averell's Advance, comes into being. While we haven't been broadcasting updates on the event to the public, we have been in discussions with our commanders to make sure they are getting what they need to publicize and prepare their forces. Expectations and guidelines are being finalized. The website is being finished now, and it will go live soon. At that time, we'll be announcing registration fees and deadlines with registration opening at the end of October.

For now, please visit the facebook page to find information or to contact us about the event.
    Andrew Potter
    Broadside Mess
    Western Federal Blues

Comment

Good afternoon! It is with great pleasure that I announce that our website is now live. On it you will find a brief history of the battle, impression guidelines, and event rules posted. More information about the Federal/Confederate command structure is forthcoming. I would like to thank William Eichler and Dick Watters for all of their assistance thus far and we very much look forward to working with them! We will be opening registration on Monday, October 30. In the meantime. if you have questions regarding impressions or are wanting to form a company, please continue to contact us through the Facebook page.

Website: http://droop.weebly.com/ (Best viewed when using Google Chrome or on mobile)
      Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/157153084641863/
      Stephen Pavey
      "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

I am raising a company for Dick Watters. Any authentic CS types looking for a home are welcome to join my company. Email or FB Message me.

Ben Cwayna
        ben@hmclawmi.com
        Ben Cwayna

Comment

Co. K, 22nd Virginia is coming along splendidly. I am happy to report the following troops who registered:

Mike Balasz
          Hunter Barnes
          Rick Bigham
          Ron Clary
          Brian Crater
          Ben Cwayna
          Andrew Donovan
          Ed Escher
          Scott Farver
          Neil Farver
          Ben Flowerday
          Don Hulberg
          Nick Kuhl
          John McIntosh
          Alan Simmons
          J.R. VanderWeide
          John Rawdon
          Charles Godwin
          Joshua Drega
          Alan Leonard
          Wally Coots
          Jerry Hicks
          Dan Hall

Anyone looking for a home for the weekend is welcome to join this stalwart band of living historians. Thanks to the Broadside Mess for organizing this! Contact me to join up!

ben@hmclawmi.com

Ben Cwayna
          Ben Cwayna

Comment

Re: Averell's Advance - Event Updates

Gents,

I apologize for being so quiet as of late but I have spent the majority of the last two weeks in Costa Rica for work.

We are happy to report that we reached the 100 registered mark and we are currently sitting at 102 - 57 Confederates and 45 Federals - registered today. We are still looking for someone to organize one more Federal company so if you are interested, please contact myself or William Eichler.

Over the next couple of months we will be quite busy finalizing a few of the projects we have been working on for the event and once confirmed, we will be able to announce them. Though we have been quiet, we are working very hard to ensure that this is one of the premier events of 2018.

If you have not registered, please do so as soon as possible. Should you not be able to attend, we will give refunds up until June 1, 2018. Please continue to spread the word and invite your friends to come out and attend.

Stephen Pavey
            "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

I've noticed over the past week that facebook links to our website are showing a lovely suede, camel heel shoe in the thumbnail. While I can't explain the image (as it doesn't appear on the website), I can verify a few things:

1) Our planning is not being subjected to any monkey business.
              2) droop.weebly.com IS still the website for the event.
              3) Suede, camel heel shoes are NOT accepted footwear for the event.

We still have spaces available, so get registered and come have a great time!
              Andrew Potter
              Broadside Mess
              Western Federal Blues

Comment

Our camps are now set for the event.

The confederate forces will be camped a few miles away from the battlefield Friday night and will have a march along the ridge of the mountain to the battlefield.

The federal forces will be camped in the same place the federal soldiers camped the night before the battle in a community called "Little Levels." The site now has two homes on it. The first is the Stulting house. The Stulting family lived at the foot of Droop Mountain in 1863 and built the home next to the camp site in the 1870s.

Stulting House.jpg

The other structure is a log cabin built in Greenbriar County in 1832 and moved to its current location in the 1980s. The camp will be located in the back of this field. From there, the federal forces will begin their movement up the mountain. The pacing will recreate the extremely slow pace of the original force that took the direct route, knowing they had to be the second force to arrive.

Greenbriar Cabin and Camp.jpg

Andrew Potter
                Broadside Mess
                Western Federal Blues

Comment

Gents,

2018 looks to be a very promising year with a lot of great authentic events in the works. For those that went to Sailors Creek this past weekend, I hope you all had a great time! I know I did.

We will be having our next site visit this Saturday, April 14. Our main goal for this site visit is to map out the Federal march route. We will provide more updates after the visit.

**Command Structure Change**

Due to a change in his work responsibilities, Ivan Ingraham has had to step down as commander of the 28th Ohio Infantry. We are excited to announce that Dom Dal Bello has agreed to step into this position. We're looking forward to working with him!

In the meantime, please take a moment to register. We have reached 130 total registered as of this morning. If you've registered, but still need to pay, please do so as soon as possible.

Stephen Pavey
                  "The Broadside Mess"

Comment

Working...
                  X