Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guarding the Santa Fe - Event Update

Hello from Kansas,

If you're planning to attend the event please register as soon as possible. We need to have an idea so that we can start to finalize the logistics.

To dispel any misinformation that may be circulating in the community, the military format is a single Infantry Company, Co. H 12th Kansas Infantry which was posted to Fort Larned from May-Dec 1863 which is the time period we are portraying.

The structures at the fort at that time were made of adobe. These structures were not well suited for the plains environment requiring constant repair and maintenance. Due to the importance of the fort in relation to protecting the Santa Fe Trail, The Army rebuilt the structures utilizing stone found in the local area which was completed in 1867. Nine of those structures have been restored to their 1867 appearance and stand at the fort today.

Fort Larned is one of the most complete Frontier Forts still in existence. Due to its location and absence of modern intrusions it presents a special opportunity to experience life at a Frontier Fort on the plains.

We invite you to join us.

Jim Scheidel
    Andover, Kansas
    24th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    www.24thmissouri.org

Re: Guarding the Santa Fe - Event Update

Wish I could make it!

I just wanted to add to your comment about the fort. I was able to visit Fort Larned for the first time this June and was really impressed. They do a great job of keeping out modern intrusions as much as possible. It has one of the best collections of intact and fully furnished buildings I have seen. It would be a fantastic site for this sort of event!
    Jake Koch
    The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
    https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
    -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
    -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

Took an overhead (google maps) look at the Fort and surrounding area - wow. Special place.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Registered and looking forward to this event!
        Brandon Delvo

Comment

Working...
        X