Stones River Living History - A Prelude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stones River Living History - A Prelude

As I was perusing the regimental history, the following stood out to me.

From the introduction to the regimental history, written in 1865 and published in 1866 by L. A. Simmons, regimental adjutant.

"It would be a display of arrogance and vanity, to claim for our regiment, superiority over others in material drill, discipline or courage; or to show that it, more frequently than most others bore the shock and brunt of battle; that it endured greater hardships, or suffered more severely in action than other regiments who have contributed to make a proud and glorious record, for our noble State. Such claims we have no intention of setting forth, - invidious comparisons we shall most carefully avoid; and shall endeavor to abstain even from the luxury of indulging in terms of eulogy upon the conduct and career of our regiment. We are proud, and we think justly, of the record which our regiment made, and to our latest hour expect to esteem it an honor, that our name was for the whole term upon its rolls. We are content to lay before the public the plain truth; facts stated with the utmost seriousness and candor; being fully satisfied that the thinking patriotic citizens who read this history, will award to the Regiment no improper position, on the glorious Roll of Honor of the State of Illinois."

It strikes me that history is made by common men doing what is necessary in uncommon hours.

More history coming soon!
    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.
Working...
X